Trainer Kite

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Trainer Kite

Postby dcholt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi,

Quick question: I'm trying to get my brother into kiting, so he's looking to buy a trainer kite. He's wondering what size to get (he lives in Chicago). I'm living in the gorge right now so I learned on a smaller trainer (1.8 m maybe?). He was looking at a 1.8 m but I'm wondering if he should go with a 2 or 3 meter. Any opinions? Also, can anyone give some tips on a good place near the city where he can practice? I know Montrose beach has certain limitations for kiting, so I'm wondering if similar rules apply for flying a trainer in that park (or any public park). Any info would be much appreciated.

Sidenote: I'll be moving to Chicago next summer and I'd like to be able to go to Montrose, but I've heard you need to be certified. Would it save me some hassle to get certified here in Hood River before I come out? How long does that certification last?

Thanks!
David
dcholt
Kiter Noob

Re: Trainer Kite

Postby ironben » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 am

as far as trainer goes, i think 3 m is fine. in reality you dont want or have to spent much time on it (others may disagree). wants you get basics skills (around 1 hr) you move to the regular kite and practice on it. most parks let you flight trainer no problem i know of one park where they ban flying big kites, other than that you have many more places to go beside Montrose.

Certification is good to get ether you be riding at montrose or anywhere else, I got my IKO and it is good forever. around here it is tough to get IKO because so far we dont have any iko instructors who can do this.
I think in US PASA is popular and equivalent to IKO so if u travel, they will except it.

best advice. get in touch with local instructors they have a trainer and kite to practice on. you pay for time but it is cheaper than buying trainer.
FAT LADY 17M;RPM 9,12M;Nobile NHP 7m
NHP 137";2015 SS Celeritas 5.11
Ben 630space638space3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Return to Open Forum