2011 4th Annual Cape Hatteras riding and training trip

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

2011 4th Annual Cape Hatteras riding and training trip

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:04 am

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening fellow kiteboarding fanatics, and friends.

We're putting together our 4th annual training and riding trip to Cape Hatteras from Oct 15th – 29th.

14 days.

Details........Details.......Details

TRAINING, RIDING AND CONDO PRICING:

1) We only a few openings for riders or couples who might be interested in training. Several slots are already filled and we have room for just a few more training slots. This trip has filled up in one week in the past, so please contact me asap if interested.

*** Price includes condo and 5 hours training = $649.00 per person for 5 days.
*** 7 day stays with 5 hours of training = $729.00.
*** If more days are preferred, we can work out the details. If more training hours are needed, we'll add them in as needed.
*** The limited space for new riders is to ensure the best student to trainer ratio possible.

2) We also have openings for riders who just need a place to stay and ride.

*** $195.00 per person for 5 nights.
*** $275.00 per person for 7 nights.
*** If 2 people are willing to share a King or Queen Room, the price is reduced even more.
*** There may be added discounts for those staying in the bunk room which sleeps 4.
*** Contact me and we'll figure out the price for double occupancy and for longer or shorter stays.

3) Returning customer discount. If you've been on one of our trips in the past, you will be eligible for an added discount. Contact me direct for the details.

4) Jet ski support provided if needed.

5) For those who want training, but are up and riding, we may do a ride along with myself or Jens who will also be on a kite. With modern high depower kites, it’s super easy for both the student and instructor to take breaks on the water with the kites safely depowered and talk about the next portion of the progression and tricks.

GEAR:

6) I'll have a good selection of demo kites and boards packed and ready to use.

2012 Cabrinha SB IDS
2011 Slingshot RPM and 2012 Slingshot Rally.
Epic Screamers and Renegade kites.
Underground Boards.
Zenon boards.
Slingshot and Underground Kite Surfboards.

*** For new riders who are doing the training package, there will be a minimal $30 charge to use our gear. If purchasing any kites, boards or packages through Kiteriders, this will be fully refunded towards your purchase.
*** If by chance the wind gods do not cooperate and new riders who are doing the training package do not use all the hours, I will give credit back for time not used towards any gear. Here's the best part. Your credit can be applied to sale prices and not just taken off of retail pricing which is what many companies will do.
*** Priority of gear and accommodations will go to those who are paying for the full package deal with training.

CONDO AND WINDS:

7) We scored again big time this year with a fantastic Condo right on the Pamlico Sound, and in a location with great rigging at the condo and riding right out our back door. It has 5 bedrooms with 3 master bedrooms and even a pool table. Stoked for the condo. It’s a little less expensive than last year, hence the better pricing for the condo and discounts for past customers/friends. Here's the details/link for the condo.

http://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental/house.html?ID=735

If you go to Bing.com and maps and find this house, you'll see a big huge grass rigging area right next to the condo. I've gone by this house many times and thought it to always be a great place to stay, but it's never been available. Plus...it's really close to Lisa's Pizza. What more could we ask for!

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pxx3vj ... orm=LMLTCC

The Pamlico Sound is well known for some of the best flat water riding in the country and miles and miles of shallow / knee to waist deep water. You can rig and ride right out the back door of the condo in most any wind direction.

Cape Hatteras is also known for its many downwinder sessions on the sound or ocean. We'll take you to some really good riding spots on either the ocean or sound side depending on wind directions and riders’ abilities, etc.

For ocean riding, there are 50-60 miles of coast line to pick and choose from depending on wind direction. Cape Hatteras has a lot to offer riders of all abilities.

October is one of the better months to ride in Hatteras due to the waters still being warm and the winds tend to be an almost daily occurrence.

http://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental/house.html?ID=735

SATISFACTION GUARANTEE FOR STUDENTS:

If at the end of the trip your expectations were not met, we'll make things right. Those who know me and Kiteriders will attest that we'll do what is needed to make sure all students are satisfied with the results and efforts.

THE CHILL FACTOR:

The goal is for everyone to have a great time, meet new friends and talk about the days killer sessions while chilling over some beers and food in the hot tub, etc. We're all there to do our part to make sure everyone chips in when needed so the Karma gods are with us at all times.

Everyone is there to ride…including the coaches and trainers, and our main focus is to make sure everyone has a great trip.

FINAL NOTES AND DUE DATES:

*** Deposit for half is due upon reservation.
*** Final decisions and should be made no later than Friday September 16th.
*** Payments due asap in full by Monday September 19th.
*** For those who are flying, you can fly into Norfolk, VA. or other nearby airports such as Newport News, and Washington DC. It's about 2.5 to 3 hours to Cape Hatteras from Norfolk, VA.
*** If driving, we'll need to figure out arrangements soon after the 24th so we have everyone covered. If you can drive, please let me know.

I'll do my best to answer your questions that come up, so please let me know asap if you can join us this year in OBX.

Woo hoo.

Bob

Robert Cook
Kite-Riders, LLC
2944 Ivanhoe Glen
Madison, WI 53711
608-273-1817 ph
608-273-1813 fax
608-358-0514 cell
bob@kiteridersllc.com
http://www.kiteridersllc.com
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Re: 2011 4th Annual Cape Hatteras riding and training trip

Postby Northerner » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 am

Bob, I just checked out the house, looks great. Though someone named Irene is stayin there right now and boy can she leave a mess from what I heard. Hope they got good house keeping there.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks Andrew. Yea...the house looks great for sure and crossing my fingers it's all in tact after the Irene furry. Did you guys have it good today? It's my oldest son's birthday this weekend, so we had plans or I would have made the trek to the big lake.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi everyone,

Due to the destruction in OBX from Irene, it might be a while before I can get confirmation regarding the condos condition, etc. From the reports below, the region that took the brunt of the hit was in Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo which is right where we are staying.

I won't even bother trying to contact them until later this week or early next week. They have a lot to deal with now and I think it's best to wait so they can concentrate on what's important now.

Below are a couple of links showing some of the damage. 2 years ago we stayed 2 houses away from one of the houses that looks like it had a fire and is now gone. A the 1:10 spot you can see the damage. This was a big gorgeous house with a silo on the end. Sad to see it gone.

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2011/08/28/c ... nd-damage/

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/08/hattera ... washed-out

Sending best wishes to everyone in Cape Hatteras and hoping the damages are minimal.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Good news:
The personnel aspect of the trip is shaping up above and beyond what I ever expected and the house is full with some on the wait list. I might have some options for those on the wait list, and will let you know soon. Emails coming soon also with more specifics.

I have been in contact with the rental company and they will let me know the status of the house soon. Info is hard to come by and often contradictory, so bear with me until I can get specifics.

Also...I'm fairly confident we will be able to get on the island (via ferry) even if the highways aren't fully built by then, but make no promises. As mentioned in emails, any deposits or full payments are fully refundable if we have to cancel for any reason. It's on my shoulders if it falls through for any reason.

Bad news:
If Katia decides to hit the same area, I can't imagine the devastation it could bring to compound what has already happened.

Dimitri, who lives in Nags Head just posted the above picture on kiteforum and the following post below.

Just found out that they will be putting a temporary bridge and they should have this done in a month. So do not cancel your rentals if it is the second week of October. It looks like Waves/Salvo/Rodanthe/Avon/Buxton/Hatteras will be accessible for all of us.
But check into it to make sure what dates they will be ready with the bridge.

OBX is a really special place and we all hope that everyone comes through this OK.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 pm

latest update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9azaNDOH ... ideo_title

above is the video of reconstruction at S-turns which is northern Rodanthe/Mirlo Beach.

looks like there will also be a bridge built at the Ranger Station/Pea Island breach area.

So it's looking promising that traffic will return to the island.

update on the house. It's still standing and has some damage, but should be fixed soon.

bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:11 pm

Progress is coming along in OBX.

The first link has a good write up for the most recent info and also has a good video about the ferry.

http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/nc12recovery/

Second video is about the bridge being built at the Pea Island /Ranger Station breach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7um1cHrT ... r_embedded
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:24 am

I just sent this out to the list of riders who are going on the OBX trip and thought it best to post here also for anyone who is still considering going. I do have a fairly long wait list, so hopefully this will help.

Good morning everyone,

I know everyone is waiting for more info regarding the trip. Accurate info is really hard to come by, but here is what I know as of today.

First the Bad News:

The Tri City area of OBX is the northern towns that got hit the worst and is still under restricted access. The reports in this area are spotty as to the conditions of houses, etc. There of course was a lot of damage and they are working hard to get houses up and running. This area is Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo and right where we are staying. Avon (20 miles south) and the towns to the south are open to commerce, but the only access to the Island is via Ferry. The Ferry can handle up to 400 cars per day if conditions are good. Considering thousands of cars travel to and from daily during normal times, you can see that the access is very very limited. Reservations are needed for the Ferry.

There is a possibility that our house will not be inhabitable. I don't want to sugar coat anything. This might be possible. If that is the case, we'll have to go to Plan B or Plan C. Plan B would be to find another house on the Island or even in Nags Head. Plan C would be to cancel all together. I'm hoping Plan A or B will happen.

Some Good News:

*Reports are coming in that access to Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo will granted Sept 29th...give or take a few days. This includes both the bridge at the breach on Pea Island and the breach in Mirlo Beach (North Rodanthe). If this is the case, at least access will make travel easier and information will flow quicker.
*If the trip gets canceled all monies will be refunded to each and every one of you. This wasn't laid out in any details before, but the risk is on me, not you. I did purchase trip insurance (first time ever), but there might be a small detail and I might be out my deposit. Again....the risk is on me, not you. For those who are flying, I'm not sure what kind of recourse you may or may not have, but hope we can still make this trip happen.
*I will wait to get final payments from any of you until we know more. Typically all payments would be made by now, but it only makes sense to wait.

Below is a link to some videos posted by Hatteras Realty and one is from the owner and it's well worth watching. It reminds us of the human element involved and the devastation that Irene caused. The owner let's us know that they are here to help, but info and resources are greatly restricted at this time.

http://blog.hatterasrealty.com/

Click on the you tube videos on the right and then click on the first video. Then, more vids will show up on the bottom and click on the 5th one. It has a picture of the owner. This is the correct one.

I have my agent trying to get info on the house, but she asked to give it another week. Hatteras Realty has been very helpful so far, but I'm hearing horror stories from other rental companies.

This is the best I can do at this time to get you all accurate info and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Bob

Robert Cook
Kite-Riders, LLC
2944 Ivanhoe Glen
Madison, WI 53711
608-273-1817 ph
608-273-1813 fax
608-358-0514 cell
bob@kiteridersllc.com
www.kiteridersllc.com
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby nG » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:56 am

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/sep/24/ ... r-1427788/

We'll get there. No questions about it. All utilities are working, residents report that all roads will be fixed before oct 9th, stores are stacked, tourists are anticipated and highly welcome.

Se you all there! :D
G
nG
Master of Kite

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:09 am

Most of the posts have been about the hurricane and info about OBX.

Bottom line is that the trip is ON.

We'll find a way to make this happen one way or another. I have 2 or 3 options that will all work depending on what happens with our Condo/House.

One more video that you should watch.

Puts into perspective what those in Hatteras are still dealing with and what lays ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiwyYUwr ... r_embedded
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:33 pm

http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/nc12recovery/

Looks like OCT 11th is the most realistic open date for HWY 12.

Hope it holds true.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:47 am

Stoked...we have a new house right on the ocean in Avon. The original one will still be under repair, so we're really fortunate to get this house. There was not a great selection left, so we got lucky.

http://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental/ho ... 15&Stay=14

Woo hoo.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby ironben » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:29 pm

how's the room / sleep situation?
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Ben,

We might have room especially the first week. This house is a little bigger and had a few cancel recently, but I also need to go through others on the wait list first.

I should know more by early next week. When were you thinking of going?

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Stoked...we have a new house right on the ocean in Avon. The original one will still be under repair, so we're really fortunate to get this house. There was not a great selection left, so we got lucky. Riding ocean side in Avon right out of our house or hit the sound for a lot of great downwinder possibilities. The house sleeps more than the other house, but I'm keeping the numbers about the same or even less to make sure everyone has a great trip. Bring on the winds.

http://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental/ho ... 15&Stay=14

Woo hoo.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Whew...just in time. As expected, Hwy 12 is opening tonight and safe travels to everyone going down (whether staying with us or others).

http://hamptonroads.com.nyud.net/node/617424

Bring on the winds. We'll have a lot of riders ready for a great time.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:52 pm

All right...time for the fun to start. Whether you're staying with our crew, greg's crew or crews from MI (Bill) and now Lukasz, you're more than welcome to look me/us up if you want to try some demo gear.

We're also gong to meet up with Dimitri from Epic for new 2012 3G gear and Drew from Wainman Hawaii is gong to come up the week of the 22nd if there's wind to try the new 2012 Wainman gear.

Below is a sample of the gear we are bringing and every kite will be for sale after the trip plus most of the boards except a few surf boards and the OR boards (those aren't mine).

I will have the following gear to use/demo if needed.

Kites:
Slingshot RPM's. 14m, 12m, 10m, 8m, 6m and a tiny little 4m.
Slingshot Rally's. 14m, 12m, 10m, 8m and 6m.
Epic Screamer. 14m and 12m
Epic Renegade. Infinity light wind kite, 11m, 9m and 6m
Epic 2.5m school kite - inflatable
Cabrinhas: I'm trying to see if we can locate some Drifter, SB IDS and Crossbows.
Wainman kites. Drew from Wainman may come up the second week if there's wind and we can try the new 2012 Rabbit series and boards.
Epic 3G gear. 2012 product. Dimitri from Epic will join us to let us try the new 2012 3G products. Both kites, boards and surf boards.

Boards:

Twin Tips:

Underground 135 cm FLX
Underground 144 cm Stella (light wind board).
Underground 135 cm Styx.
Zenon Laluz 135 cm (high performance freestyle)
Zenon Infra 139 cm (wake/pop/flat water)
Zenon Rayo 145 cm (All around and light wind)
Ocean Rodeo Mako King - Courtesy of Malcolm Crennell.
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140 - Courtesy of Malcolm Crennell.
Ocean Rodeo Mako 130? - Courtesy of Mandy Hunter? Hehe.

Surf Boards:
Slingshot Celeritas 5'8" Strapped.
Slingshot Dialer 5'10" Strapless.
Slingshot Tyrant 6'2" Strapless.
Underground Freewave 6'2" Strapless - 2 of them.

SUP's: 2 of them.

Cabrinha - Courtesy of Malcolm and Mandy.
Monty special.

Safe travels to all.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby dbur » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Originally we were planing to stay in Salvo in Wind Over Waves subdivision just south of Real Slick, however just yesterday we found that our house got damaged by Irene and hence is not available, so we've rented smaller one right on soundfront also in Avon. Leaving for OBX this Friday....
--
Dimitry
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Sweet...there's going to be a big crew from the region down there. What house did you get?
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Next

Return to Open Forum