Montrose rules & thank you Rob

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Montrose rules & thank you Rob

Postby jojy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi all,
(Pardon my spellings - English is my 2nd lang' )
I just wanted to share what happened today on Mon. beach : So wind was perfect, some kite surfers on the water, and as always, my friend and I took his land board & my buggy and hit the beach. As a common sense, we never go on the beach if it's full with ppl and there is no room to breath. Today was not one of those days, right on the shore line, there was some ppl, but the back area was almost completely clear to go. So we decided to roll in a part where ppl almost doesn't even walk, and it was good. Half an hour later, a lifeguard approached me and told me that his boss (Rob - the beach captain and a VERY nice person) told him to ask us to fold the kites. Without any issue, I agree, after all, they only doing their job, why make it harder right :wink:
After folding my gear, I decided to go and chat with Rob, see what was the problem/reason to ask us to leave, something that never happened before. I introduce myself and my friend and was told by Rob that earlier this season, he asked his bosses if we're allowed on the beach. He said they told him no, without any reason, without written rule or any exceptions. I explained to him that we're well aware about the beach rules, and still, there is not one word about buggy's nor land boarding. I also told him that whatever he'll decide, we will respect it and obey. Long story short, after show him the area we wanted to use, told him about our experience and background, Rob agree with us and after using some common sense, he let us kite, promising to keep safe of the public, our-self and the rest of the beach goers.

I know how sensitive the kiting issue is on Mon.B and I will never do ANYTHING to risk it and bend us from the beach.

I also wanted to send my Thank You to Rob, for using common sense, be 'on top of things' and still maintain the rules.
I also think that maybe we need to do something about regulate land boarding/Buggies with the rest of the rules. So I took Rob's boss phone number, and I planed to call and ask how can we do that. My guess is that this gear was never an issue before, cause there ware never any rider, trying to do it on this beach (at list to my knowledge).

Just a few weeks ago, I approached a kiter, which was obviously a beginner, and told him to fold, since he kept crushing his kite on the water/beach, using other ppl to grab his kite. He was a nice guy and after telling him the rules, he folded his gear. Self policing is a good thing to keep us on that beach - as long as you do it right + the person you'll approached will cooperate.

Thanks again Rob
Any thoughts ??
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Re: Montrose rules & thank you Rob

Postby adseguy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:11 am

Rob's a nice and down to earth guy and just wants to keep his beach safe. He's been the captain for more years then I've kited now and he hardly gives anyone trouble unless they deserve it. I'm glad you went and talked to him a little it's good for him to know faces and just hear about us instead of us sneaking in things. Also, good work on making that troublesome kiter leave. It sucks, but I'm glad I'm not the only one doing it.

I am however a little worried about the buggy and the landboarding. I was watching the landboarder and he seamed OK and in control for the 5-10 minutes I watched him. I think he boosts way too close to the cement wall for his own comfort, but what I'm more worried about is the kite over people's heads. That's what we want to avoid. I saw you crash your kite I believe 2 times in the 5-10 minutes period I was watching Avi :| ....I'm not sure I'm too happy with that at all. I agree that part of the beach is fairly secluded, but it's definitely not empty. People still do walk through it all the time as the parking is all along the beach side so why would people detour around just to go straight to the beach? Crashing a kite, people walking through, not a good combination. I really don't want to bring bad news, but I think Rob was kind of right. It is an unsafe situation. The Montrose grass hill behind the beach might be a much better option if you want to stay close to the city. A whole lot less people. I agree it's tough as hell to avoid people, but I keep a kite length away from anyone downwind of my lines, UNLESS it's a SUP or kayak, where I will pass them briefly and try to make my way away from them for the next pass.

I wouldn't say too much if I thought you had some better kite control, but after seeing it crash (hopefully it wasn't you landing it...HARD) I am worried about you hitting someone. Again all about safety of others. What are your thoughts? Please don't take this as me attacking you because I certainly am not and I would like to keep this thread with a good tone to it. Let's try and make this work :wink: :)
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Kevin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 am

My 2 cents are that Montrose is a pretty cherished H2O kitesurfing spot, and tends to be a fairly crowded beach. Landboarding just doesn't seem to be something that would work well there. Especially in season (summer), and on a weekend day.

Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby jojy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:09 am

No argument at all as far as Montrose is crowded and not always accessible. One exception is that you actually need to be there, check and most important, use common sense.
Adrien, I appreciate your comments and don't worry, I totally understand what you're saying. As far for my crashes...... :oops: well.....I won't start to make excuses, just say that I did crash (no matter what the reason is, I can only say that I did succeed to avoid the ppl on the beach. NOT GOOD at all in my book, but no harm done.
The point is, no matter how good you are, there will be always crashes and accidents, try to avoid them and knowing how to handle them is VERY importent. Just like everything else, we're all trying to do whatever we can to avoid been in this situation.

Normally, my friend and I doing our land activities late in the evening, when the beach is almost empty, yesterday was kinda a stretch which I will never repeat cause to be completely honest, I didn't felt that comfortable to kite, not just because of the ppl, but because now I had my word to Rob, a small area to kite and a handful of beach goers.

Lesson learn !! happy to be safe and end that day on a good note.
Thanks for the responds guys....see'ya on the water/beach (and not just Montrose :wink: )
Avi - 312-451-5841
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:10 pm

I think our agreement says ...no traction / large kites on the beach... No teaching.....

We started out being allowed to access the buoy line when the swim areas were closed.....in order to keep a maximum distance from the public and the lifeguards on the beach.

We intentionally didn't discuss or include land boards and buggies.....

Go quietly and respectfully in the open season and enjoy more access in the spring and fall.
If you seek permission I'm guessing the answer will be NO...and then you may be out of a spot all year

Sounds like you did the right things.

Things get much more tricky and political when you go upstream of Rob.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby jojy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 pm

Words of wisdom Mike :!: :!:
Avi - 312-451-5841
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
jojy
Resident Windfreak