Wolf Lake Report 9/12/2011

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Wolf Lake Report 9/12/2011

Postby skysurfr » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:06 pm

The Wolf Lake construction is for the most part complete. That's the good news.

The bad news....The beach is pretty much finished for kitesurfing. It's not totally finished, but the options are pretty grim. I was never a great spot, now it's even worse.

Where the far south end of the old parking lot was, there is now a full on "Water recreation Area". It's a fenced in water play area for kids. It has fountains and squirt guns, showers, etc. There's a pool house , washrooms, etc. It goes pretty much down to the waters edge. Next to the north, between the parking lot and the water is a palyground. It's a large set of swings, monkey bars, etc etc. Again, blocking access to the water.

Next to the north, apx, mid old parking lot, is a drainage resivior. It collects water from the new raised parking lot. It wipes out about 2/3 of the grass area.

There is a new lakefront path complete with light posts all along the beach.

They did pour a new pebble beach, around where the old swim area was located, the last 1/3 of the beach toward the north. There's enough room to launch 1 kite at a time, between the light posts and head out into the water.

Today, I walked out and did a self water launch.

The parking lot is 50% smaller.

2 other kiters went to the south launch area that has been in use during the construction.

If you are windsurfing there, it's not too bad. The water / lake is the same. You'll just have to find a new place to rig and stand around moaning about the gusty conditions. :-P

THERE IS NO PLACE TO LEARN OR PRACTICE ON LAND. THE GRASS AREA IS GONE. THERE ARE TREES PLANTED and LIGHTPOSTS all over.

(I got about an hour of ok riding on the 12M this afternoon. I almost planted the kite on a lightpost.)

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: Wolf Lake Report 9/12/2011

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:47 am

Is there a secure buoy anywhere, or mabye a solid tree or submerged rusty heavy object, to secure a leash to for water self-launching and landing?
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:59 pm

You can make ot work somehow. However it's not user friendly.

Depending on the direction, there are light posts and trees.

Oddly, the post with the cement filled tire is still laying in the lake. ... Where it's been for the last 20 years. It's supposed to anchor the swim area ropes.

To be clear..... If you are a good rider, can water/ drift launch, then it's ok...just ok. Expect to land your kite in the water....or run the gauntlet with the light posts and trees. I've always said it's easier to dry your kite than to sew it.

Oh....they planted grass seed and laid out netting all over. The nets are anchored with metal rusty hooks.... Yes they grab your lines every chance they get....

Your flip begins at Michigan.org!
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby adseguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Wait....you launched at the spot NOT on the south end? Are you nuts? The South end works just fine. IT is smaller and you have to have a launcher/lander unless you drift launch, but otherwise it's just fine. I actually prefer being there anyway due to the better wind conditions and shallow water spots. I still can't believe you launched down on the North "regular" side. :shock:

Did you try on the South side? I couldn't agree more it's not for new people at ALL. You have to be able to not only stay upwind, but also control your kite in extreme gusts and lulls especially near the launch and land.

Weeds report?
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 am

When I left there were two kites drifting into the "regular" north end launch spot. They had launched south and the wicked winds of wolfie let them down. looked like a long walk back to their cars.

The center of the new beach is apx where the old swim area used to be. If they rope it off again, that will add more problems.
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Return to Open Forum