Renting a board for two weekends in Chicago

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Renting a board for two weekends in Chicago

Postby FlyingFinn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi

I will be visiting Chicago, arriving on 23rd and spending the weekend there. I'm traveling during the week, but coming back on the next friday and leaving on following sunday.

I'm hoping to hit some windy days during the weekends as I'm taking my kitesurfing gear with me. Though I'll be leaving my board behind to save on airline fees (flying from Helsinki, Finland).

Would someone be kind enough to rent me a board for the two weekends? I have been riding only twintips, but willing to try a directional also. Pretty much anything I could get.

I have read the instructions for Montrose beach and I have the needed IKO certification. Here in Finland we have quite challenging conditions i.e. rocky and small beaches where to start from + gusty winds. I have been riding both on water and snow for four years now actively.

I already read from the forum, that there aren't really any "official" kite renting, so I'm calling for some help from my fellow kitesurfers.

Thanks in advance and hoping to see you in the water :)

Peter

Ps. I host a small site that features kitesurfing videos. If you are interested, you can find it from http://www.bestofkitesurfing.com
FlyingFinn
Kiter Noob

Re: Renting a board for two weekends in Chicago

Postby West » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Be glad to loan u a BRO board for a week or so. As long as you have a rental car to get around to some locations there will be some good kiting available. As for the Montrose situation that is another matter all together.
West
Wind Whore

Re: Renting a board for two weekends in Chicago

Postby FlyingFinn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:11 am

Thanks for the offer West! I'll PM you, so we can exchange details.

Too bad the Montrose beach isn't accessible for kiting. My initial idea was to stay in the Chicago center area and go to the beach by public transport. Now I'm thinking on renting a car, so I can access the spots around Chicago.

I read that there are two spots north of Chicago, Zion Beach & Waukegan Beach, so I guess it would make sense for me to find a place to stay near those beaches during the weekends.
FlyingFinn
Kiter Noob

Return to Open Forum