New Aaron Hadlow ID Kite

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

New Aaron Hadlow ID Kite

Postby Javi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:22 pm

http://www.flexifoil.com/info/hadlowid_usd.pdf

Flexifoil is launching a New Hadlow Kite called the Hadlow ID. Will be out in November. I might have mine by October but we will see how many people have already preordered. I think this will be the ideal kite for someone that wants to do it all. High performance kite but, foregiving and with much more depower than the Hadlow Pro C-kite. Great for the gusty lake winds! and much easier to relaunch.

Here are some very interesting comments from the first riders that have had a chance to ride it:

iD characteristics

The iD is very different to the RPM and the Park... I've flown both alongside the iD as we developed it with Aaron. I've flown the RPM on a HADLOW bar and given the iD to RPM riders on the Slingshot bar so you can see the difference in the kite and not be distrracted by an unfamiliar bar.

The RPM is faster turning but with much less bar pressure - for me, this made it harder to know where the kite was and I often ended up sending or diving the kite during unhooked tricks. The iD has a nice fast turn but you need to apply more pressure to throw it around. For unhooked pop, I found the iD had equal grunt (for pop) as the RPM but the iD goes slack after the pop much better than the RPM... I could back mobe the iD and feel like I was passing a bar with no kite attached but the RPM kept pulling through the trick and was hard to keep low and on track.

When I flew a Park it was on the Naish bar which I have real problems using due to my long arms... I find if I trim it for unhooked riding I have to ride with my arms pulled in to my stomach all the time which is really uncomfortable and if I trim it so I can ride with the bar at a comfortable reach then the kite is totally oversheeted when I unhook. That said, I really liked the feel of the Park; nice and fast and good bar pressure. It is totally different to the iD though... when you look at the Park from underneath you can see the LE sweeps back way more than an iD. This gives the Park great depower and relaunch but it feels nothing like a C-Kite to me.

If you look at the stacked hadlow-to-hadlow ID diagram on the press release it shows how the Centre of Effort across the wing of the iD and HADLOW Pro is lined up on a plane (approximately) that cuts the wingtips at the front toggle points. The diagram shows how the centre of effort is lined up on a HADLOW Pro (in black) and the iD (in red). To me, this is where the iD gets its C-Kite feel from... the bridle is mostly supporting the arc of the LE and the loading comes straight down through the front toggle points.

The ION follows a similar design rule making it also very similar to a C-Kite although most people think they are pure hybrids.

The lack of sweep on the leading edge means depower is adequate like an ION rather than on/off. It also means you have 2 choices for relaunch... one is pull one or both back lines hard and reverse launch it or unhook, let go of the bar onto a suicide leash which has the same effect as swimming towards the kite, and then relaunch. Its certainly not hard, but if you want the simple "lightly pull one line and it rolls right over" relaunch you will have to wait for next year's ION or ride the Proton :-)

The winner of the Rhossy Park Jam this year used the iD both on a wakeskate and in boots and a wakeboard... his comment was that if you wiped out on the slider, dropping the kite on the mini 5th made it sit patiently at the edge of the window depowered enough to swim back upwind to retrieve the wakeskate or NOT get dragged into the slider and very easy to recover the bar and hook back in.

One of Aaron's comments sums this kite up nicely: stoked to have a kite he can rip on that pretty much every rider out there can also enjoy and progress on. Just like the Freestyle board... its been really satisfying to see so many riders of all levels get on and enjoy the board and we're all looking forward to seeing the same satisfaction from this accessible, performance kite.

The bar does have an easier to reach depower strap this year and a choice of chickenloops so you can tune the ergonomics to your size or preference. If you really prefer a different bar setup, all you have to do to fly the iD on a different bar is make sure all 4 lines are the same length with the depower set to full power and the bar pulled towards the chickenloop as if you were about to unhook. It helps if you have some knowledge of tuning kites if you try this as I found on the RPM bar the iD ended up being slightly undersheeted so needed a bit of tuning. When the demos are available, I would recommend you try the kite on your favourite 4-line bar first so you can get a feel for what the kite is compared to your usual kite before trying the iD bar on the kite but make sure you know how to tune a kite if you are going to do this!
Tips: try kiting in PR and let me know if you're going. Need tips or equipment, let me know.
Javi
Chop Wrestler

Return to Open Forum