Indiana Riders

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Indiana Riders

Postby mrgrey » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Just curious who the Indiana riders are out there. I am a noob from the Crown Point area that took a few lessons and is now flying on land using my own gear. I have not been on the water or snow yet but cant wait....and am ready to do so.

I have the benefit of living pretty much across the street from endless rolling snowkite fun and wanna take advantage of it this winter. Additionally, our family has a lakehouse on Bass Lake near Knox, IN where there are nearly 1000 of 1400 acres of water only 3-4 feet deep. It warms quickly, and freezes early. You can find me barefooting, skiing or wakeboarding most summer weekends there. I would love to find guys in the neighborhood to share the fun with. In fact Kiters have been seen on the lake this year....

I have been using a tether method to launch and land on the edge of the window by myself only because there is nobody around. Just trying to not become a loner out there....so who is out in my neck of the woods?

-Matt
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Re: Indiana Riders

Postby snowball » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:43 pm

This is a really cool guy. He did some land lessons with me earlier in fall. Hopefully someone in the area can meet up with him.

Safety in numbers.
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Kevin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:07 am

I've heard people kite at Bass Lake. Chicago riders would have better closer options for H2O kiting but this sounds like a potential snowkite spot. Anyone know what wind directions might work best and where the launches would be?
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby mrgrey » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:14 am

Bass Lake is great for just about any wind condition. Its almost like 2 bodies of water. North part of the lake is runs N+S and South part runs E+W. The south end of the lake you can literally walk across in most places and not get your head wet. I still run my ski boat there all summer. The north end is a little deeper in the middle. The lake freezes VERY early and there are a few bars and restaurants that you can walk to that are literally a stones throw from the water. During the summer you would have to water launch which is not hard considering the water near any shore stays knee deep for about 100 yards or so.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bass+lake ... a&t=h&z=14
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum