snowboard for kiting?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

snowboard for kiting?

Postby Jimbo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Hey kiters! I wanted to update my snowboard and would like some insight on what would be the best type of snowboard for snowkiting. I heard that a banana board or reverse rocker is best for snowkiting? Any info would be appreciated.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Re: snowboard for kiting?

Postby dbur » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Aboards Reverse is one of the options... I'm getting one for this season...
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:40 pm

There are boards specially designed for snowkiting. I know that Nobile, Best and Cabrinha made special snowkite boards. Never tried one of those just using my regular snowboard from Nitro
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby dbur » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Yes, I was also using regular Nitro Team snowboard with Flow bindings last season, always had a feeling that it was cutting too much upwind due to sidecut on the heel side so i had to let it slide a bit (especially on hard surface)... as result your board kinda goes sideways... will see if Aboards reverse feels any better, my hope is that less heel sidecut will make a difference. Bring on some snow!!!
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Jimbo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Dimitry where are you getting the Aboard from.
Last edited by Jimbo on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby dbur » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:06 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Aboards-Re ... 0954099366

I'm still waiting for this board to get shipped...
--
Dimitry
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Eric A. » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Aw yeah ...we finally got some snow here...about 6-8 inches last night.

My 2 cents. Sorry retailers you are going to hate me.

I like to Snowkite on inland lakes, soy bean fields and Lake MI beaches when conditions are right.
Corn fields are just downright nasty with all the tractor ruts and stalks everywhere....yikes.
Corn fields hurt everything.

So here we go--------------------------------------------------

You DON'T need a $500 snowboard to go out and snowkite kite for the 2-3 months we have snow.

Unless you just have money to burn, buying a $$$$ board to scrape across the ice and rocks etc is a pure WASTE of $$

Bad idea to use your one and only trusty "snowboard' to snowkite.
If you are really into both sports...consider getting two decks. One for the slopes and one for the carnage that snowkiting will bring.

When you kite with a snowboard you are mostly riding on one edge...heel side.
The base will burn out in one season of heavy useage on the ice in my experience.
After that it is very hard to get the base back to shape once it's gone....never will have the same glide.
I worked for a shop with all the tuning gear and techs available. I waxed, cleaned, base grindined and it helped for another season....but still not the same board on the slopes and even getting worse on the ice.

If you DO use your expensive model snowkiting on local lakes and fields, you will be unhappy with it's performance on the slopes.

Snowkiting eats up your base and heel side edge so bad that your beautiful Burton will ride more like a snowplow than a snowboard.
----------------------------------------------------------
This works for me....it may work for you.
------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a smaller sized board 150-155 that is CHEAP.
Dont pay any more than $100 for a deck because you are GOING to trash it. You can find em all day on ebay for $50 and up...you could get a cheap one with kittens on it or something silly for style points.
Check the insert pattern, look to see if it is CENTERED not set back like longer boards...you want to look for a true twin.
This will help with the tracking and chatter somewhat...side cut plays a big role in this as well, but with a small twin...you can get away with it easier than with a longer board.
DO invest in some GOOD step in style bindings. Strap bindings only work for Snowboarding....nobody wants to try and fly a powered kite while having to strap on bindings....just not fun.

Buy a pair of ice picks that you can access quickly if you fall in and need to dig out...can be life saving.

Now go out an grab a session.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Pier » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:17 pm

I agree 100% with Eric.
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby dbur » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:32 am

actually this is how I feel about this too... however i 'm curious to try snowkite specific deck, any advice on bindings? Using Flows myself, I'd slide boots in and then lift&lock back plate once I'm going...
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby dbur » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:35 am

also I have these "ice claws" with me all the time when on ice http://www.nordicskater.com/safety.html
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:43 am

Hey all! There are some great advantages to a kite specific snowboard. In general, a traditional snowboard is not meant to be ridden on its edge and riding an edge will typically not be smooth and make the board want to constantly turn upwind. A kite snowboard is meant to run straight and more efficiently while digging an edge. The ABoards kite snowboards are excellent examples. They are a true twintip design and both heel and toeside edges are identical. Since yes, you will be riding on the edge most of the time, the ABoards kite snowboards also have special edge stringers and reinforced rails that prevents board sides from twisting or bending too much for better control. This design also makes the edges more durable than a conventional snowboard. Also, these kite snowboards are a bit wider than a traditional snowboard to prevent heels & toes from getting caught on terrain as well as allow more planing surface. The Aboards design makes these boards great for downhill riding as well... for those that don't yet own any snowboard and are considering riding slopes too. The ABoards Reverse features a reverse, rocking chair type, rocker. This allow greater maneuverability as well as keeps the tips up in deeper powder or slush.

It seems that most snowboard kiters are using Flow bindings. They have a single-hand locking mechanism, lightweight & responsive.

All we need is snow... or an invite to Eric's Great White North spots!! :D
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Eric A. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 am

I do agree with the advantages that Mike has stated.
I'm sure it is a killer ride.
It would be nice to see the differences side by side.

BUT Damn dude....$479 on sale on ebay ....is EXPENSIVE bro.

I'm a broke dutch drummer....I'm looking for value.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Eric A. wrote:I do agree with the advantages that Mike has stated.
I'm sure it is a killer ride.
It would be nice to see the differences side by side.

BUT Damn dude....$479 on sale on ebay ....is EXPENSIVE bro.

I'm a broke dutch drummer....I'm looking for value.

As soon as I get my invite to your snowy spots, I'll bring mine up for you to take for a spin after I receive it in a week or so! :)

Well, at least you can get a new kitten every year! :wink:
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Eric A. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:19 pm

We are in a holding pattern right now with the snow...we got a good dump of about 6-8, BUT we really need a base and more importantly...ICE on the lakes.
I'll bet end of January the season will kick into gear.

Corss country skiid with the dog yesterday and I was bottoming out...not enough to kite yet.

As soon as we get ice on Gun or Austin Lake I'm on it. Gun lake is in Wayland, MI and Austin is in Kalamazoo.

I'm sure you'll hear about when I get a chance to get out.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby FSP » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:11 pm

ive been at this for years and cant say my standard snowboard has ever made me think i need something more specific. i can do every trick i do on the water just the same. still using the same board after 8 years and just clean the bottom with fantastic per some reccomendation along the way.

width is fine for me and dont catch, though maybe close to the edge...but that just means more leverage for going hard into toeside.

cant say i ever am concerned about speed when many times i am actually defying the pull of the kite which can actually suck by not allowing proper load for sending tricks. getting good conditions is the most difficult part to making snowkiting work. you can have too much efficiency or too little so get out and get in touch with that before worrying about the perfect board IMO.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Jimbo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for all the input. I'm due for a board update so just checking on the various types of snowboards out there.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:21 pm

FSP wrote:ive been at this for years and cant say my standard snowboard has ever made me think i need something more specific. i can do every trick i do on the water just the same. still using the same board after 8 years and just clean the bottom with fantastic per some reccomendation along the way.

width is fine for me and dont catch, though maybe close to the edge...but that just means more leverage for going hard into toeside.

cant say i ever am concerned about speed when many times i am actually defying the pull of the kite which can actually suck by not allowing proper load for sending tricks. getting good conditions is the most difficult part to making snowkiting work. you can have too much efficiency or too little so get out and get in touch with that before worrying about the perfect board IMO.

You are absolutely right... perfecting riding technique is the most important thing here. For a new kiter that already has a snowboard, getting in to a 2nd board specifically for snowkiting need not be so high up on the priority list. But perhaps a kiter without any board might consider a one that can give him the best advantage for the sport he's focused on. A Kite Snowboard like the ABoards models offer this advantage and if the rider wants to occasionally use it for downhill, these boards are also great for this.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby hammer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Hey All,

K2 is a great alternative binding to FLOW bindings, the Cinch models rock:

http://www.k2snowboarding.com/bindings? ... ens&page=2

I am a firm believer in snowkite specific boards if you got the cheese and the everyday conditions to shred, I have a Liquid Force Alliance and Twisted board to round out my snowkite quiver, the LF board is from Sheldon DeCosse http://www.decossecustoms.com/. The LF board rips downhill also, bummer its not being made anymore. Sheldon makes some wicked specialized snow gear.
hammer
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Jimbo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Has anyone tried this snowboard?

http://www.dualsnowboards.net/index.html :shock:
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Jimbo wrote:Has anyone tried this snowboard?

http://www.dualsnowboards.net/index.html :shock:

Reminds me of the carpet sliders my daughter has!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Next

Return to Open Forum