Colorado

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Colorado

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:10 am

Heading out to Littleton Colorado the end of March. Bringing my snowboard for some mountain action. Any suggestions? I was personally thinking about heading to Breckenridge or Vail. Any one with experience in both these places?
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Re: Colorado

Postby adseguy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 am

Both are good, just check the local forecasts for snow as they can vary by many inches even if they are only a few miles apart.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby johnm » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:29 am

I used to be a pro snow skier and loved in summit county. Beaver creek, vail and copper mountain are the best in summit county. Breckinridge has a great park but the mountain is so so. You can kite lake dillon in frisco also. There used to be a decent kite scene there but not sure now.
johnm
Chop Wrestler

Postby JDL » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:57 am

johnm wrote:I used to be a pro snow skier
...I can't beleive you were a pro; I am so much better than you. 8)

Arapahoe Basin (A-Basin) is the least exspensive area in the county, the best terrain and a great parking-lot party.

Ride fast, take chances....
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby ironben » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:37 am

i would add keystone to the mix. you can go there after Breckenridge (same ticket) or just go for whole day.
I like the gondola where you can take off board, rest and go down fast again.
get yourself epic pass, you collect point-eventually you get free ticket

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/epic-pass.aspx
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Are you committed to Littleton? We're waiting to see who has the best snow and probably heading out first week in April. If no snow, probably OBX. Snow this year has been really bad at some places, but telluride is getting good snow as well as Utah right now and Jackson Hole.

John...glad to hear someone else who thinks Breck is so so at best. Not impressed all that much.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Yeah I am stuck with Littleton. Visiting relatives. But I am ditching the Ski trip in Colorado, still heading out but instead of spending the $200 for a day in the mountains the funds go to our vacation to the Caribbean. Heading to Curacao in June. Kitegear is coming with. Visiting friends and fam is coming to the island as well. Life can be good sometimes :D
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby burkeysteve » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 am

I just got back from there (Feb11). 10 days of great downhill riding at Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, & A-Basin.
There is a pretty large frozen lake (Dillon) which borders the towns of Frisco, Dillon and Silverthorn. I saw a bunch of kites (like 12) there on the day I left. Looked pretty ideal. On a previous trip, I borrowed gear from a local kiter and sailed on that lake. I learned that they don't allow kiting in the summer, supposedly because it's Denver's water supply. But winter - it's ok.

I live in Ohio, and just joined the Chicago Kitesurfing Forum yesterday. I have inlaws in Chicago, and will p'rolly seek out launch sites this summer or fall.

SteveB
burkeysteve
Kiter Noob

Return to Open Forum