Which kite is predominant?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Which kite is predominant?

Postby Sheetz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:15 pm

I am moving to Chicago in August to attend graduate school. I already know how to kiteboard, and I am not looking to bring a ton of different kites with me. Does anyone have recommendations? What is the most often used kite size there in Chicago? And I understand conditions are constantly changing, but if you had to choose one, what would it be?

I am excited and hope to meet everyone soon!
Sheetz
Kiter Noob

Re: Which kite is predominant?

Postby skysurfr » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:53 pm

11/12 is the middle of the range and most often used kites.

14 /16 if you want every bit of wind

10 on down if you're going to go for the real wind....
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Northerner » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:57 pm

You're coming at a great time as at the end summer the water is warm and it is the start of the best part of the season. As for one kite I'm going to recommend a 20 meter or bigger if you can find one. You didn't give your weight so I'm thinking your a big obese boy that is embarrassed about your weight and abnormal jeans size . Since your most likely pushing 345lbs I feel a 20 meter would be a great overall size for enjoying Lake Michigan.
Last edited by Northerner on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Whichever kite you don't bring is the one you'll need the most. Bring them all or ship if needed.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby 4w7s » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Bob wrote:Whichever kite you don't bring is the one you'll need the most. Bring them all or ship if needed.

Bob

Agree with this completely.

I'm 160# and my 11m is defo my most used kite...but I get a hell of a lot of use out of 15m, 9m, 7m kites too.
Kites: B=bring them ALL!!! and if you can bring a second board (or get one here) that works well in light wind, or bing one very versatile board. If your board requires always being lit you might be frustrated especially if you don't have a full quiver of kites.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby mzhadkevich » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Bring a 9m. If its really windy, you can probs hold it down. If its not windy enough for a 9m, its not a fun ride... You can ride the most with a 9m kite and 130cm board.
mzhadkevich
Chop Wrestler

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:07 pm

mzhadkevich wrote:You can ride the most with a 9m kite and 130cm board.

I dont really agree with this part. I used to have only a 9 meter kite and a 129 board here in the Chicago area. It was definitely not enough for me (157lbs) had to have good old windy days for the 9. Like 4w7s my 11 meter is most used kite for the Chicago area next to my 9 meter.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Kevin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 pm

I took a lesson with Bob like 4 years ago and he told me that exact same thing, and I have not forgotten it. The kite you need, is the kite you didn't bring.

I carry a 7, 9, 12, and 16 in my car and use them all. My 12 is most used followed by my 9. Depends also on your weight. I'm 6'1" ~190 lbs
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:07 am

i guess i log quite a few days around here and as with most spring/falls I use one kite 99% of the time and that is my green 10m ss key and a 140cm board at 155lbs by timing it right as i can.

i think the trick is having gear with good range/performance but more importantly to decide which part of the windy front you should kite and where to be. I work hard at assessing that and rescheduling life to be there on that optimal time. There is always a gusty "ramp up" period to the wind, then some steady spells, a peak "gusty period" (especially when it warms on the souths) and then a less windy steady finale that declines. What i just descried is possibly 4 kite sizes in just one frontal sesh!!! The waves/currents are a whole separate issue to research but factor into your question as well.

I think another big part of choosing a predominant size kite for the area comes from getting to know the spots by going on all occasions to learn these times and how they feel to you. There is not a real clear cut answer to this, and your comfortableness may not be the same as others. I kite wolf for example from 20knts into the low 35s with my above gear but have gotten to know the place much better than in the past and now know what works for me, how to deal with it, rigging adaptations, settings, and local condition nuances not of course the optimal time to be on it.

this changes for summer however the same principles apply.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby jojy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:03 am

BTW, didsomeone mentioned the fact that you most likely won't even fly in Chicago ?!
The only place you can surf in Chicago area is Montrose beach (assuming you're certified), but as a general info, even then, Montrose will be just an OK place. You'll find yourself travel a lot to WI or IN (about an hour each direction you choose), just cause conditions there are a lot better then Chicago area.
Am I right on this theory guys ? :roll:
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby Sheetz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 am

Well, I appreciate the fast responses! From what I can tell from what everyone says it looks like a 9m and 12m are the most used kites - so it's not light wind city. But there is not much riding actually in Chicago? Mostly in surrounding spots of Lake Michigan? I am IKO certified, but are there waves in Montrose or just flat water?

I wish I had that extra weight for the move north! I weigh 150lbs, and mostly ride a skimboard, so my kite sizes run a little smaller than most. It sounds like a 7 and 9m would work; if I work them.
Sheetz
Kiter Noob

Postby mzhadkevich » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:44 am

9m and 7m will be fine for you. If you have kited a lot, this will be perfect. I am 6'3" and 200lbs, and I ride my 9m almost all the time.. Also Chicago is awesome, Montrose is a really fun ride, and Wolf lake is great too. Evanston gets some nice waves as well. Sure you can drive way away for different spots, but almost all wind directions are kiteable and within 30 minutes of chicago. More important is to bring/buy stuff to keep you warm!!!
mzhadkevich
Chop Wrestler

Postby smpl » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:04 pm

oh shit, Sheetz in Chi city! lock up your ladies, cause they're not gonna be many left once he's done.

bro, i used a 9m most of the time. you'll prob be good on the 7 but there are plenty of cheap c-kites floating around in the other forum. def send post up some pics like this of you killing it on the great lakes:

and if you want to ride a lot in Chicago, watch out for this guy at the beach:

smpl
Zen Levitator

Postby STF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:45 pm

LOL!!!

oh boy.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats quite a outfit Big A. oh the internet
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby adseguy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:48 pm

What seems to be the problem? Maybe less sequins?
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Return to Open Forum