Land Kiting Chicago Area

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Land Kiting Chicago Area

Postby zer0 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Anyone have a list of areas where I could go land kiting when west winds are blowin?

I was looking at this big open field with no one around at the forest preserve and wondered if it was legal to kite there. I see snowmobiles crossing the field in the winter.
Location : https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.044877,-88.02483&hl=en&sll=42.044877,-88.02483&sspn=0.01517,0.030556&t=h&gl=us&z=15&iwloc=near
Coordinates :
42.044877,-88.02483
zer0
Board Slinger

Re: Land Kiting Chicago Area

Postby West » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 am

That is Busse Woods in Arlington Hts/Schaumburg........There have been guys who have land kited this field with varying success........

sometimes we are allowed to snowkite it if there is less than 4 inches of snow....other times we are asked to leave by the rangers........just depends on the mood of the guy on duty :roll: : same thing with land kiting!!!

also it is surrounded with trees to the South, East and buildings to the North, and West........the only decent wind the field gets is on a WNW blow....that being said, it is an option just be aware of the variables..........good luck.

There are fields out towards Naperville, and up towards Wisconsin......there are several land kiters in the area, so maybe one of them will chime in on it......
West
Wind Whore

Postby kitekid21 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:37 am

I live in Aurora and Naperville is my spot. Just south of Neuqua Valley HS there is a huge field. In early spring and late fall there are no soccer goals to dodge. But weekends are out most of the summer because the area fits about 15 soccer fields and they ALL get used. So much soccer! During the day and morning are best because there is never anyone out there. Easter Sunday this year was one of my best outings. Nobody out there and perfect winds. Lemme know if you plan on heading out! I'll join you!
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:10 pm

I learned to ride at busse on a landboard. Then the tree police got to be too much hassle and figured water was softer...

Like West said too, it is gusty but can be fun if they don't freak and run you out.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby sailfish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm in the southwest suburbs a lot, Homer Glen between Orland Park and Joliet, and have a land kiting setup. Anyone know of good places to landkite in that area? I've been on the lookout since I got a 5m foil a couple of months ago.
Dave
sailfish
Chop Wrestler

Return to Open Forum