New to Chicago, Eager to Kiteboard

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

New to Chicago, Eager to Kiteboard

Postby GC1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Everybody,

I just got to Chicago for a long term project and haven’t brought my kitesurfing gear with me yet as I’m not sure what kind of variables you guys have in the area.

What’s the kiting season around here?
What average wind speeds you get?
What kite sizes you use?
What are the closest/better kiting areas near downtown Chicago?

I’m from the west coast in Mexico and we use 11m to 14m kites for winds of 14 to 24 knots.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Guillermo
GC1
Kiter Noob

Re: New to Chicago, Eager to Kiteboard

Postby adseguy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:35 pm

GC1 wrote:Hi Everybody,

I just got to Chicago for a long term project and haven’t brought my kitesurfing gear with me yet as I’m not sure what kind of variables you guys have in the area.

Welcome to the scene!

GC1 wrote:What’s the kiting season around here?

Right now actually! Spring and Fall so Late August all the way until you are too cold (November?) and then in Spring as soon as the ice melts in March through Mid June. Summer is usually fairly dead, but we do get lucky in some places around the big lake.

GC1 wrote:What average wind speeds you get?

Anything! Since we don't have trade winds or too many thermals around here it's anything from 10knots to 30knots. Just pick your days

GC1 wrote:What kite sizes you use?

5M to 16M.

GC1 wrote:What are the closest/better kiting areas near downtown Chicago?

Please refer to www.Chicagokitesurfing.com for info, but really you can only be at Montrose beach and ONLY if you have certification to ride there. Again, just read the rules in the link. If you have a car you can fairly easily get to nice beaches around the area. From upper Wisconsin all the way to Upper Michigan just follow the forums and watch the wind forecasts.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby GC1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi Adrien,

Thanks a lot for your response. What's the most accurate place where you check the wind forecast?

Regards
Guillermo
GC1
Kiter Noob

Postby V » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Uh oh... You had to go there? :!: :wink:

There's a hundred different ways, or just check here to see where others are going.

Personally i watch the noaa, then check the TAFs, and then use my best personal decuction on where to go based on years of being a beachgoer around here.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby adseguy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 pm

You caught me at the wrong time GC1. I'm actually making a sub-site that you can get all the info you need just by selecting the location (Great Lakes that is). For now I use NOAA, and sailflow.com, and a local meter around here for real time readings: http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/metdata/chi/prev3.html
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Return to Open Forum