Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Maui? Advice?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Maui? Advice?

Postby skysurfr » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Im looking at a 10 day trip in November. Im not looking to just kite....some other activities would be nice too. Snorkle / Dive/ Kayak / Hike/ drink/ drink/ drink/ and maybe get a drink along the way.... whatever.

Anyone been to Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, or Maui recently? Any advice on where to stay? condo's seem to vary unit to unit.

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
Board Beotch

Re: Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Maui? Advice?

Postby adseguy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:40 pm

10 days.....Cozumel you will get bored quickly. It's extremely touristy and relatively small. Don't know about the others.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
Wind Whore

Re: Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Maui? Advice?

Postby xwindsurf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:53 pm

I love Maui but November is not that great wind-wise (although on average it is better than the best month in Chicago). Some friends of mine went to Brazil where it is the prime season but logistics (long flight, 8 hour taxi ride) are not that great.
You didn't think about SPI? Some diving if you really want it, hikes on the dunes, kayaks are available too. Drinking - sure!
PM me if this sounds remotely convincing
As for Cozumel/Playa: I was there three times in late fall/winter. The wind was very iffy plus the windward side on Cozumel didn't have a launching spot at that time, and the rocks looked brutal - although maybe there is a site now. Diving was awesome, snorkeling so-so (the good stuff is too deep), and the trip to the ruins in was very memorable
I don't have to tell you about drinking scene in a major Mexican resort, right?
Playa de Carmen can be reached in 45 (?) minutes by a fast boat from Cozumel so you can see it as 1 destination. Cenotes (caves), an easy trip from Playa, offer diving and snorkeling that was among the best dives I've ever done. One memorable moment: we came to the surface in a small chamber full of vampire bats!
Master of Kite

Return to Open Forum