All in All a good day!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

All in All a good day!

Postby Jimbo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Get this!

Nice wind today so I wanted to get to my local lake after work. Finished at 1:30 so was on the water by 2:15. White caps and 1 foot rolling waves gusting to 30 Knots plus. Awesome!
Ah Ha 7 meter day, wind was punchy as hell worst wind I ever was in but it was blowing west and perfect for the lake, tacked my way to the middle of the lake for a non stop session for a good 2 hrs on my
Airrush light wind board. Sunshine and warm wind, nice jumps but to punchy to do anything else, wind ripped me up off the water and down wind some but stayed
in the center of the lake the whole session. Feeling like a kite master and feeling confident I stopped checking and looking at my loop connection of my bar to my harness which I do now and then because
of last experiences. Sure thing the bar loop popped off my harness during a transition and the kite immediately flagged to safety and hit the water. No problem because I was getting
tired anyway so it was a perfect opportunity to drift onto shore and call it quits. With the kite flagged, floating and drifting me to shore I thought it was taking a long time for me to get back so
I retrieved the bar and grabbed a steering line to inflate the kite into a sail so it can pull me back to the beach. The kite lifted into the air and pulled me hard so I let go of the bar. Since my kite was attached
to my safety line I was Okay, so I thought! My safety line immediately broke and my beautiful RRD 7 M kite was loose and blowing to shore headed for the trees and Oh Shit! the power lines! I dropped the board and
swam as fast as I could to get my Kite! Keep in mind I was in the middle of the lake about a 1/4 mile out with a wetsuit on and a harness around my waist so swimming wasn't very fast. Watching the Kite as I was swimming it
drifted into the tree line on the beach and looked like it wasn't going anywhere soon. I got to the kite and it was fine in perfect shape but "I just put new lines on my bar" and the safety
line broke! Imagine that! Not good for slingshot. Remember to always check your gear to make sure it is in good condition. All in All it was a great Day! :D
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Re: All in All a good day!

Postby FSP » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:18 pm

jimbo if i got this right that center safety bungey line on the SS bar has broken on everyone. Myself and ironben have had it happen just recently here. I called slingshot and of course they were like "oh wow thats just such a freak accident hmmm idk"8)

My belief is they made a design error in not going with a strong safety lease to use a light cheap piece of bungee which does take up slack to be clean of excess line but in no way can it handle any sort of tension to save u. If there is even one twist on ur center lines this can potentially stop up the ability for it to thread thru causing it to bunch up and then break let alone many twists from spins. So any hard tension from a yank, or a twisted center line will send ur kite bybye

This is a problem for sure
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Jimbo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:11 am

Yes you got it right the bungey line broke The center lines are 650 lbs strength or more why not the safety line? An idea worth pursuing. :idea:
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby FSP » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 am

again.. its happened to many many riders and they will play dumb bout it. guess its a good way to sell more kites
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby billg » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:45 pm

I have replaced mine already because of visual wear. also replaced chicken loop rope because of excess wear after about 40 sessions. Slingshot supplied both free of charge, but I have always questioned the strength of the bungee. I think our sandy beaches have a lot to do with the wear, but I would like to see an alternative to the bungee. Luckily I have not had major stress on it, only an occasional screw up on a self launch and landing.
billg
Board Monkey

Return to Open Forum