Trainer kite help? Time to try again after an injury

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Trainer kite help? Time to try again after an injury

Postby jalyn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:05 am

Hey there,
I'm relatively new to kiting in that I took a few lessons about 5 years ago with a trainer kite on the beach in Charleston, SC but then proceeded to break my arm in four places...not on the kite, but working with a bottlenose dolphin during a research project-a long story. After multiple surgeries and lots of rehab, I'm back out waterskiing and wakeboarding and was just surfing last week while back in Charleston, SC. I didn't get to try out the kite while I was there but am inspired to try again after watching a bunch of people at Station 28.

I wondered if anyone in Chicago has a trainer kite that they would be willing to work with me on for a bit in the next week or so just to see if it looks like I can physically do it (hanging on for long periods of time-power of the kite) as I am still building my hand strength. I'd just like to see how it feels before I try to jump back into it and invest in lessons if that would be possible. I am really excited to try it again and it would be great to work with someone here in the city and to meet some fellow water dogs.
Thanks for any help here!
Jess Craigie
jalyn
Kiter Noob

Re: Trainer kite help? Time to try again after an injury

Postby 4w7s » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Whoa, that sounds like an interesting (probably scary) story about the dolphins.

The fact that you have already started wakeboarding and waterskiing I would imagine you can handle flying a trainer kite without any big problem. But of course you should start out in lighter winds with no more than a 3m kite and - just like with water-skiing and wakeboarding - LET GO of the bar IMMEDIATELY if you encounter any out of control situations.

Once you are comfortable with the trainer kite and have solid kite control skills you will be ready to fly a larger kite, which will probably place less tension on your arms than a powered up trainer (without a harness). I discourage beginners from using a harness with a trainer kite (flying hooked in) on dry land unless there is direct supervision by an experienced kiter/instructor. However flying a trainer kite with a harness is a good thing to experience at some point so that you can get the sense of being hooked in...and then you will see how little "work" your hands and arms are required to do when steering the kite - since the harness will take up 90% of the load.

I imagine there is someone in the Chi area that can give you some basic pointers on the trainer kite. I would be happy to give you a primer but I am over in MI - if you come this way feel free to contact me.

Another really good thing for you will be to try snowkiting before you try kiting in the water. You should still get a good set of lessons for this, but most people can succeed in getting some rides the first day on snow, whereas it may take several days on the water with ideal conditions. Hopefully Mother Nature will deliver a better winter this year...fingers crossed.

If you havent already figure this out - a goood way to condtion yourself will be to do some light rowing/pull downs exercises ( multiple angles) at the gym or at home if you have a machine. Light weights and lots of slow reps would pobably be best.

Another good resource for you is to visit the website of Dr. Sarah Ellis who has many kiteboarding/wakeboarding specific exercises for conditioning and rehab purposes. If you like what you see I encourage you to support her efforts and purchase her on-line training manual. I think it is a pretty good value.

http://www.perfectlyfitonline.com/
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby jalyn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 am

First let me say thank you for your reply and for being so thorough. All of this information is helpful, so I appreciate it. I have been lucky in that I always had friends or family who surfed, wakeboarded etc. so it was great to get to learn alongside someone who I knew. The one thing about all of these sports is most people I have worked with really LOVE them, and those who learned as adults always say they feel like a kid again, which is so cool. This is one of the best parts of learning something new-working with people who can't wait to teach someone else because they love it so much.

I'm not trying to get out of lessons, I just want to check it out with my arm and see how I feel. I am encouraged to hear that once I learn the kite, and once I am hooked in, it won't be so much pressure on my arm and instead the load will be on the harness.

I did snowboard before I broke my arm too, so snowkiting could be a good way to go too. Where would I take lessons for this and do you recommend anyone in the area?

I'd still like to do a primer on the kite just on land either way, so if I don't hear from anyone in Chicago I may head up your way if you are willing. I had planned to to try it out again in Charleston but it just didn't work out. Good to get back up on a surfboard though.
I used to live in Charleston and have friends who know Sarah-small world-I'll definitely look into her training manual-thanks for the tip!

Again, thanks for the reply-I may be in touch!
Jess
jalyn
Kiter Noob

Postby 4w7s » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:51 am

I'm glad this was helpful,

and I agree the sport really does make people feel young at heart...if you had not already heard, the oldest known kiteboarder (Poul from Copenhagen) just passed away at the beach while kiting at the ripe age of 88. He learned how to kite at 79 yo! and they say he was at the beach every day it was windy and he was just "one of the lads" there. My oldest stuent was 69 about 5 years ago and he's jamming away today!

Again I'd happy to help you over here. I have been a full-time instructor for over 8 years and have taught over 500 lessons in a myriad of locations. A lesson program should always begin with a classroom and trainer kite program and since you already have some experience we could design a refresher course.

It's a bit late to think about getting into the water here and I don't really like teaching when the water is in the low 50F's. But a snowkiting lesson would be great once we have soe ice and snow.

I'm going to Ireland tomorrow for 5 weeks, so if you hav some time starting around Thanksgiving we can get the ball rolling. I'll send you a PM as well.

In the meantime, keep exercising and working on your range of motion.

Roberto
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Marilys_kite » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi Jess!

I'm glad to see the interest you still have for our wonderful and addictive sport that does keep you young! :) I think that Roberto have answer you beautifully and I like to see kind of answer on forums. Not all instructors have this experience and safe approach to the sport.

As Roberto said, it will get too cold pretty soon but I am still giving lessons in the water right now in the Chigago area. Tomorrow actually, I should be in Waukegan for lessons. If you want to come down and meet me, I will be really happy to talk more with you, let you have our trainer kite up and even go for a land lesson if you are available!

Mary :)
eus@3mekite.com
Marilys_kite
Board Slinger

Postby jalyn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:58 am

Hi Mary,
Thank you for your reply. Will you be out there at all this Friday in the a.m. or over the weekend at all? Unfortunately I can't make it out today but would like to come up and meet you and maybe try the trainer kite and watch some kiting/see a land lesson.
Please let me know and I'll try to make it up there soon. I live downtown Chicago so I'm not too far.
Thanks!
Jess
jalyn
Kiter Noob

Postby Marilys_kite » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi Jess!

We can sure work something out for this week end! It may not be in Waukegan but the forecast is looking good for being close by Chicago. Please send me your information so we can be in touch regarding to the forecast and set up a meeting maybe tomorrow (Friday) afternoon?

Mary
text 708.513.0012
calls 708.333.0003
eus@3mekite.com
Marilys_kite
Board Slinger

Postby Marilys_kite » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Not tomorrow but Friday! :)
Marilys_kite
Board Slinger

Postby jalyn » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi Mary,
It looks like it would have to be Saturday or Sunday for me now with work-would either of those days work? If you are in/near the city even better! My number is 843-814-8819 and my email is jess.craigie@gmail.com. Hopefully we can work something out-thanks!
Jess
jalyn
Kiter Noob

Return to Open Forum