Who likes good beer!?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Who likes good beer!?

Postby V » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Ahhhh yea...sounds like a plan gents!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby mrgrey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Aww man.. just tapped 5gal keg of my homemade Zombie Dust... hope I can save some for the brew day. Transferred over 10 gal of 2-hearted to the secondary and dry hopping as we speak. So far numbers are right on the money for a killer beer. Might even have a Left Hand Milk Stout Clone ready by brew day for yall... Ping Pong table in the garage, check, pile o' classic vinyl to spin, check, secret kiters brew recipe, check, sanitized and ready to go brewery, check.................................................................. already on my second pint of the Dust and..... its GOOD!.... check...mates.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 pm

YUM!!! Pier will have to drive me home now :wink:

This is on the same day as St. Pat's in Chicago right? Anyway to do this on that Sunday (at least that's my vote)
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby mrgrey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm

adseguy wrote:YUM!!! Pier will have to drive me home now :wink:

This is on the same day as St. Pat's in Chicago right? Anyway to do this on that Sunday (at least that's my vote)

If we can all agree then I have no prob.. let's take a vote? I will update as peeps give their say. **Kiting conditions Apply...as always**

Adrien- Sun
Matt- Sat/Sun
Mike- ?
West- ?
Pier- ?
IVO- ?
V- ?
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 pm

if St. Pat is on Sunday why not to do it on Saturday?

just tapped 5gal keg of my homemade Zombie Dust... hope I can save some for the brew day. Transferred over 10 gal of 2-hearted to the secondary and dry hopping as we speak. So far numbers are right on the money for a killer beer. Might even have a Left Hand Milk Stout Clone ready by brew day for yall... Ping Pong table in the garage, check, pile o' classic vinyl to spin, check, secret kiters brew recipe, check, sanitized and ready to go brewery, check.................................................................. already on my second pint of the Dust and..... its GOOD!.... check...mates.

sounds great buddy!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 pm

IVO wrote:if St. Pat is on Sunday why not to do it on Saturday?

The downtown celebration is on Saturday and some (like me) have plans to SUP the river that day :wink: and drink lots of bad green beer
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby sailfish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 pm

I've brewed a few batches myself, great to see there's a lot of interest/experience here!
In the vein of suggestions for clones, I'm a huge fan of big IPA's like Dogfish Head's 60 minute. I recently got some Kona Brewery Koko Brown which includes toasted coconut giving it some really interesting flavor and in my opinion unique texture.

Sounds like a super fun time and I'd be stoked to join in! I don't know if my vote counts but I can't make it on Sunday the 17th so if it does, my vote is for Saturday. I can bring some Kona brews and I could likely give some rides too from the loop if anyone is up for it. The party never ends at my house because I have two small kids that never let me rest so in terms of rides back, I probably won't stay super late, but I'm sure we could work something out.

What time were you thinking of starting?
Dave
sailfish
Chop Wrestler

Postby mrgrey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 pm

mrgrey wrote:

If we can all agree then I have no prob.. let's take a vote? I will update as peeps give their say. **Kiting conditions Apply...as always**

Adrien- Sun
Matt- Sat
Mike- ?
West- ?
Pier- ?
IVO- ?
V- ?
Dave- Sat

Updated... I prefer Saturday so I have a day to clean up, but can be flexible... I Also put Dave down for Sat..

I would like to say we brew from 1-4 or somewhere thereabouts. I will have the water hot and ready and set up for the event to cut down on brewing time. Anytime someone wants to come over and hang is cool by me... I will get a start on set-up around 11am or so and have the grill ready for anyone wantin to cook up somethin.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:42 am

Saturday is best for me, fam is Irish and has plans for the 17th....sure looking forward to it.....especially spinning the vinyl........got any of THE BAND?

Will bring out some pub brew for sure.......and save some of the Zombie Dust, since it is the Trooper's fav............ :)
West
Wind Whore

Postby mrgrey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:11 pm

West wrote:Saturday is best for me, fam is Irish and has plans for the 17th....sure looking forward to it.....especially spinning the vinyl........got any of THE BAND?

Will bring out some pub brew for sure.......and save some of the Zombie Dust, since it is the Trooper's fav............ :)

We will keep it saturday then... and I will abstain from the Dust till saturday!... prob bout 3 gallons left. The two-hearted will be freshly carbed by brew day and will have 12 gal of that...

I think I got summa The Band... lotsa Zep, Allmans, Dylan, Creedence, Stones, John Mayall, Clapton, Ten Years After, Three Dog Night, Climax Blues Band, Van Morrison, Marshall Tucker, Dave Brubek, Jethro Tull, Savoy Brown, Captain Beyond, Mellencamp, Santana, Beatles, Joe Cocker, Leon Russell, Doors, Traffic, and more... couple hundred good spins...
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 pm

AAwwwww man! Well that's for trying Mr. Grey, I do appreciate it. This sucks, I really wanted to make it and hang out. The brews on tap seem awesome and you know I'm gonna follow you home from a Wolf Lake session one day :P
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby sailfish » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:16 am

adseguy wrote:
IVO wrote:if St. Pat is on Sunday why not to do it on Saturday?

The downtown celebration is on Saturday and some (like me) have plans to SUP the river that day :wink: and drink lots of bad green beer[/quo
Adrien, given the other conversation on the forum about the state of the Chicago River and this statement, "Our river is 70 percent sewage. I think we need to recognize that," said Henry Henderson of the Natural Resources Defense Council. "This is an open sewer." Better go easy on the green beer before and during SUPing or the unthinkable might happen, a swim in the green, open sewer.
Actually one time my wife and I kayaked from North Ave to Michigan Ave one 60 degree February day a few years ago and it wasn't too bad except on the east side of Goose Island by Management's parking lot for garbage trucks. There was a definite film on the water so I would suggest avoiding that side of Goose Is. I'm sure it will be fun on a SUP on St. Patrick's!
You're welcome to ride with me to Indiana if you change your plans.
Dave
sailfish
Chop Wrestler

Postby adseguy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Yeah, I've kayaked it too and it's gross! I will definitely be having my beer afterwards haha. I hear from the past crew that is was a blast last year. I probably shouldn't post this cause this is NOT something you want to do with a few skills, this has been cleared by the Fire dept and all. Have your fun on Saturday boys. Drink a gallon for me!
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Pier » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Adrien,

It's too bad that you can't join us but the SUPping of our river on Sat sounds cool indeed.

I'll drink one for ya, take it easy out there!

Pier
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby Pier » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:10 pm

mrgrey wrote:

Adrien- Sun
Matt- Sat/Sun
Mike- ?
West- ?
Pier- ?
IVO- ?
V- ?

Matt, I'm in and will probably bring the wife with me other than some Apocalypse Stout, Alpha King and...we'll see if I can get some of the new Belgian Dubbel bottled on time.

See ya on Saturday!

Pier
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby WaWaZat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Man, SUPing the river Sat sounds good but if I have to take my pick of drinking raw sewage and freshly brewed crafts....mmmm, count me in for the brew party!!!

Matt, what do you need us to bring? Lay out a list. Looks like Pier has more than filled his quota! 8)
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby mrgrey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:04 am

WaWaZat wrote:Man, SUPing the river Sat sounds good but if I have to take my pick of drinking raw sewage and freshly brewed crafts....mmmm, count me in for the brew party!!!

Matt, what do you need us to bring? Lay out a list. Looks like Pier has more than filled his quota! 8)

Most importantly BEER! I will drag the grill down to the garage area to cook up sum good eats, but need a volunteer chef(s). If I hadda choice I would nominate Mike.. :D . I might make a big pot o' Irish chili prior to the event thats easy to warm up, but would be nice to have some variety. If anyone ends up havin a few too many to get behind the wheel I got tons of room if ya need to crash/hang a while. Mi casa es su casa... This is gonna be a blast! Comon over anytime after 11:00 as I am planning on having the water hot and ready by 1pm...

One thing that would be nice is if anyone can save bottles and especially bombers that are not twist off for me. Once this beer is done I will need a way to share it on the beach with yall after a sesh.

BTW here is our recipe:... Think we will have enough hoppy flav? Kiter fuel is what this is @ 458calories/pint....

Boil Size: 7.11
Boil Time: 60 min
Taste Rating(out of 50): 42.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Mash Temperature: 150 F
Mash Time: 60 Minutes
Yeast Starter: 1 vial of WLP001, 1000mL stepped to 2000mL, stepped to 4000mL
**Yeast was about 1 month old, starter size may vary***

**Efficency was calculated @ 70% Brewhouse***
Est Original Gravity: 1.098 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.05 %
Bitterness: 138.2 IBU
Calories: 458 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.8 SRM

14.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.73 %
3.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 14.63 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %

1.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.20 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 45.3IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] (60 min) Hops 27.5 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (45 min) Hops 24.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (30 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (15 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.40 %] (10 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.40 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
2.00 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
3.00 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 tab Whirlfloc (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.40 lb Honey (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.88% *** OR *** 1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.88 % (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 am

Now that's my kind of party........bringn' my tongs, and be glad to man the grill, although if Mike is throwing a pie or two on then I will leave that to the EXPERT......I will bring some shrimp to que up with a spicy sauce, and some Phat Chance, the new session blonde from the Onion Pub!!!!!!!

where abouts is it Matt?
West
Wind Whore

Postby mrgrey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 am

West wrote:Now that's my kind of party........bringn' my tongs, and be glad to man the grill, although if Mike is throwing a pie or two on then I will leave that to the EXPERT......I will bring some shrimp to que up with a spicy sauce, and some Phat Chance, the new session blonde from the Onion Pub!!!!!!!

where abouts is it Matt?

12615 Gibson St. Crown Point, IN 46307

Itsa long driveway and house is barely visible from the road... I will mark the mailbox with a sign on where to turn in. Place is set back in the woods on 4 acres and nothin but good country livin... google says bout 59min from downtown... just remember to get the hell outta there before the St. Pattys Parade! If there is anyone not on the forum or someone that you think would like to come please pass the word.

http://goo.gl/maps/SGIaZ
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:49 am

sounds great, really stoked that you are hosting this, it will be a blast...I am certain of that.... I put the word out to the Mich crew as well!
West
Wind Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum