Spring Kiting

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Spring Kiting

Postby Windhound » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Gentlemen, I have not been in the lake yet this spring. I am wondering what you Polar Bears have been wearing in regards to suit, boots and gloves. How warm do you feel in your particular cold weather gear. I have just transitioned from a dry suit to a 6/5/4 but have not been in the 35 degree water yet with the suit. Would greatly appreciate everybodys cold water input.
Windhound
Sand Bagger

Re: Spring Kiting

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:17 pm

You should be good to go with the 6/5/4 suit. Is it hooded? 6 of us were all riding Sheboygan a few days ago hitting the waves and dodging trees and tons of debris and all of us were on NPX 6/5/4 hooded or similar suits.

Check out pics from Jens in the pics and vids section if you haven't already. It was about 37 water temps and 35 air temps. It was cold no doubt and my feet and hands tend to get cold easy. First session was no problem, but each session after was harder to keep my fingers warm. I only wear 2mm mystic dry gloves and probably need something better. I would have done fine if the hands were better.

Air temps make a huge difference this time of year. Anything above 45-50 and it gets so much easier to take the cold.

5mm or 6mm booties are also needed and wear a jacket on shore when resting to keep the core warm.

That day was my limit though and I'll need warmer gloves next time, but I also hate gloves with a passion.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Re: Spring Kiting

Postby snowball » Wed May 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Was in a 5/4/3 the other day and was sweating. Booties and gloves are still recomended. 4/3 will be good soon.
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Return to Open Forum