Buying new gear for the season!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Buying new gear for the season!

Postby fatdrunk » Sun May 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Hello guys. I wanted to get some opinions on what type of gear to buy for this season here in Chicago. I am 170 lb 6''1" ... I am not advanced but I'm not completely new to this either ... I've always been buying used gear for practice and always something would go wrong. I finally saved up and want to invest in good gear. Any advice with what brand and what size kites to buy for Chicago's ugly weather.. I know it's good to have couple sizes. I was thinking of going with north brand ... Either fuse or rebel .... Any suggestions ? Pros/cons? And where's the best place to buy it?

Thank you

Tom
fatdrunk
Board Slinger

Re: Buying new gear for the season!

Postby Bob » Sun May 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Hi Tom,

What size kites do you currently have and have you been riding in Chicago for a while? Kiter sizes can vary greatly depending on the season and time of year. I'm 200 lbs and amazed how often I ride my 6m SS Rally each year. That being said, you can't go wrong building a quiver of kites around a 10m - 12m size as the first kite and then go up or down on sizes depending on season.

Are you firm on North? I used to be a North dealer, but had some quality issues, but that was many years ago. Do you have a riding style yet? Freeride (cruising and big air), Freestyle (aggressive and unhooked riding), waves?

I'd be glad to help and of course the best place to buy is Kiteriders in Madison. I've been in this business for a long time and know the importance of having a local source for service, etc.

You ever get up to Madison?

Take care and good luck. You can also contact me via bob@kiteridersllc.com or 608-358-0514 cell.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby fatdrunk » Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks Bob

Currently I have slingshot link 9M 09' and and snother older slingshot c kite also 9M which i never used (its brand new) and i'm looking to sell it ... cuz i'm more into freeride. Thanks i'll give you a call.

Tom
fatdrunk
Board Slinger

Postby West » Fri May 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Lots of great kites on the market...North has really concentrated on their kites the last several years and they are recognized as being at the top end of the kite scene, they are built extremely well and fly great....that being said they are incredibly expensive. There is a core group of dedicated North riders in Corpus that focus on freestyle, and their North kites hold up extremely well for the abuse they take...

Glad to see that Bob chimed in on the post, cause he has a great reputation for setting up kiters with the appropriate gear for their level and budget....the cabrinha and slingshot brands are solid kites and hold their value well in the Chicago market......personally I would look at year old kites in great to excellent condition, they should serve you well for what you are looking to do, and there should be plenty to choose from in the used kite market.........just my two cents on the subject

good luck and happy kiting, West
West
Wind Whore

Postby mrgrey » Sat May 25, 2013 9:15 am

I have been nothing but happy with my Slingshot Rally kites over the last fall and spring season... They really handle the inland lake gusts very well and the pivotal style turning is very nice, kites just seems to hang and never backstall or give me problems. That said I have ridden my friends North kites and as soon as I wear out my SS kites I would like to make the switch. The newer Rebels are very nice and IMHO fly great whether completely depowered or loaded... my comparable SS do not seem as able to do so.

But opinions are like a$*holes... everybody has one. If you have the skills to ride, ask a buddy to try his or ask guys on the beach... I have never had a prob loaning my kites out for a few tacks to let a guy sample the goods. Thats how I ended up with my lovable Rallys.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 am

An 8-10-12 would serve you well I think. Or a 7-9-11. The small kite would not be totally necessary if you are not into kiting 30+ yet. If you are at that point, go for all three.

In terms of brands, any new kites from any of the key brands will be built well and last a long time if you are not a thrasher.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Bryce FLK » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:20 am

I have a 7-10-12 right now but its not ideal. My ideal set up would be a 14 with a lot of low end, a 10-11 with good low end and good high end, and a 7 with great high end or a 7 that is designed for wave riding.

I had only a 7 and 12 all of last year and it got me by just fine @ 165lbs.
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum