FYI - Lake Koshkonong water levels

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

FYI - Lake Koshkonong water levels

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:50 pm

We spent Thursday at lake Koshkonong (Charley's Bluff Road - Royce Dallman park) near Fort Atkinson and the water levels were rather high. Not flooded, but it made it difficult to appropriately train others. Plus, the winds were lighter than forecasted. Double whammy.

I just found this link online for anyone thinking of riding there. Check here first. I will next time.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=nvlw3

If you are just riding, the water level is OK, but you have to be able to stay upwind. The level was mid chest high on me where it's normally around waist high.

If you've never been to Kosh, it has no beach and you must walk out a small boat launch and drift launch in the water. Just part of the mystique.

On a north wind, Kosh is awesome though when the water levels are normal. Nice sandy bottom and no weeds.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Royce-Da ... I&t=m&z=15

Hope this helps,

Bob

Yo West...ran into Kris at the Apple store and we need to get him out soon. Kite blocked these days.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Re: FYI - Lake Koshkonong water levels

Postby West » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Thx for the Kosh update Bob.....

yeah, touched base with Kris earlier this spring. I got a board all set up for him, I agree got to get him back on the water.....will give him a call this week.
West
Wind Whore

Postby Kevin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Hey Bob I've been really wanting to ride Kosh at some point, it's real close to where I grew up.

What winds will send you guys there? I see you went to said spot above on a north wind, do you ever go to the boat ramp launch on the north side of the lake on a S or SW wind?

Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby Bob » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi Kevin,

N, NNW and NW work really well at Charley's Bluff Rd. Then, on the east end is Vinne Ha Ha which works great on west winds. The spot you are referring to is also really good on S and SSW, etc. but when there's anything SSE, S, SSW, SW, WSW, W WNW, madison rocks and is hard to leave. We can ride almost any direction now in Madison, so hitting up Kosh is less and less now, but we wanted to train some new riders and North winds at Kosh usually have a better and bigger shallow water area when the waters are lower.

Do you ever make it up this way?
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Kevin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Hey thanks for the info Bob, next time I get free and there's wind I'll look you guys up.

Any beginners looking for some lessons and practice in more shallow flat water in the area I'd recommend getting in touch with Bob and crew.

Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby Kevin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Hey thanks for the info Bob, next time I get free and there's wind I'll look you guys up.

Any beginners looking for some lessons and practice in more shallow flat water in the area I'd recommend getting in touch with Bob and crew.

Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 am

Vinnie's and NorthLaunch are our faves...plus you get the fishfry on Fridays!
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum