Tawas Point Kite Trip - FINALLY - July 18-21

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Tawas Point Kite Trip - FINALLY - July 18-21

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Been EXTREMELY slammed, short on help and trying to take advantage of some of this local wind at the same time so I'm waaay behind on trip planning! Anyone need a job???.... seriously, positions open, apply within! I would really like to make this 3rd weekend in July work even though it's 2 short weeks away. Prob is, right now, there is only 1 camp site avail for the entire weekend on only the Thur night. This can change daily but because this is prime season, it could be tough. There are other options in the area but camping at the state park has always been inexpensive, the most convenient... 1/4 mile from launches!... and most fun! In the past, some have procured there own accommodations or partnered up with others and done so at cabins or houses. We could all try to align with something like that. Worse comes to worse, we can camp free in the National park about a 1/2 hour drive (I believe) from the launch. I've never been but I think 1 or 2 of you may have so perhaps you could reply back with more info. If we camp, we will need some REAL campers to pitch in with camp stoves, perhaps pots/pans/utensils, etc. I only have the camping basics and usually camp with friends who have all the other gear. :) As we build the guest list, there should be plenty of opps for ride shares as well. If any of you have some time and some planning talents, by all means... partners welcomed!

Ok, for the new kids on the block....Tawas Point, in East Tawas MI, is located on Lake Huron and about a 6 hour drive from Chi. It is the perfect spot for learning and any level of riding. The launches are on either side of the point... wind direction determines which side we are on. One side is a very large flat water bay with shallow waters. The other side is known as the "Lake side" but it differs from most Lake Michigan launches in that there are less pummeling waves, is shallow further out from shore and even though when staring out over the lake you're looking at Canada, is surprisingly a bit warmer than our Chi waters at times because of how shallow the waters! Since we can kite on both sides of the point, this spot works in every wind direction! Now for the real magic... besides the great companionship that always gather on these trips... Tawas is great for thermal action! Many times you can ignore the wind forecast... usually all we need are warm, sunny conditions with a Southerly flow and like magic, we have wind!! But we've had it good on some Northern directions too. Many times we've made this trek and there was NO wind around Chicago and the 15-20 of us there were cruising the Huron waters with perm-a-grins!!

Here are some past pix -n- stuff;
http://chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteboarding_messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9181
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteboarding_messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10992

Map; http://goo.gl/maps/vc32f

In the past, we've always had our sweet, illustrious Amanda handling the organization and teaching kiteboard lessons... she is definitely missed! We have even had the lovely IKO certified Marilys teaching in the past. She really wanted to come teach this bout but couldn't align it in her schedule. These trips have always been for all level kiters, especially new beginners just learning the sport. I have some options to arrange for lessons so please let me know right away if you will need them. And if you've never gone and are just getting in to kiting, please contact me so we can make sure you are geared up properly so you can take full advantage of the trip! Please don't wait until the last minute.... even though I have in getting this note to you. :)

Bottom line… everyone's welcome!! So who's in?! Best to email; eus@3mekite.com
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Re: Tawas Point Kite Trip - FINALLY - July 18-21

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Ok, I have some PASA certified instructors worked out for the extended weekend and some lesson plans. If you are interested in lessons during this time in Tawas, PLEASE contact me immediately to discuss. Of course these are 1st come 1st served so if you've been wanting to learn, we need to lock you in! We have had a lot of interest from learners.

Mike
eus@3mekite. com
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Ok, not much luck with getting in to the State Park camping this round so I have secured a large cabin with 6 beds that technically sleeps 9. 1st come, 1st served on the accommodations so please let me know right away if you need a place to stay. This will probably be the best deal in the area...

$130 Fri/Sat nights
$160 Thur/Fri/Sat nights

And if you and a buddy or sig other or special friend don't mind sharing a double bed, here are the rates for each...

$100 Fri/Sat nights
$130 Thur/Fri/Sat nights

It is still a little far in advance for accurate predictions but looks like some good weather scheduled! Right now it's saying we will have a good setup for the Tawas magic... thermal winds that is!!

Let's lock this in!!

Mike
eus@3mekite. com
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Bush » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm trying to head up on Thursday night, but lack a vehicle to do so. Anyone willing to ride share? I am more than happy to split gas, expenses, etc. for a ride up.
email: sjquakenbush@gmail.com

-Sam
Bush
Kiter Noob

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:47 pm

its probably too late but a thought for next time:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/336045

If you share the house its not too bad! Plus an actual shower and a place to relax afterwards! I've met Carmen a couple of years ago and we had a blast in her back yard.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:48 pm

Dutchkiteboarder wrote:its probably too late but a thought for next time:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/336045

If you share the house its not too bad! Plus an actual shower and a place to relax afterwards! I've met Carmen a couple of years ago and we had a blast in her back yard.

... or for next year! She's booked for 2013. In fact many places are booked solid. I still have some space for anyone who's like to join.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Bush wrote:I'm trying to head up on Thursday night, but lack a vehicle to do so. Anyone willing to ride share? I am more than happy to split gas, expenses, etc. for a ride up.
email: sjquakenbush@gmail.com

-Sam

Sam, I have another interested in the whole trip and willing to go in ona rental. This may be good for2 or 3 with gear. Let me know if interested.

Anyone with ride needs or offers, please post here.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:12 am

Hey All! Lesson spots and accommodations are filling up fast. Only a few left. If you are still contemplating, this is a great opportunity to learn at probably the closest beginner spot to Chicago. We travel here in the summer because this place has a good chance of wind during this time. Many times it has been completely dead all around Lake Michigan and we've been kiting our hearts out on thermal winds in Tawas. If you want to join us, please secure your spot right away! BTW, 2 showers in our house on the bay and plenty of space & peeps to chill with at the end of the days.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Forecasts are lookin' up for the weekend! I have someone looking for a ride share Fri night so if you would like to go then and are interested in cruising with another kiter, please let me know. 2 spots left in the house as well.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:42 pm

End of the week forecasts for Tawas are looking up every time I take a peak! Should be some pretty amazing bayside riding all day Friday!! If you haven't made your plans, come on out! I have also made arrangements for PASA 2 certs for those of you riding a solid intermediate level and wanting to get your Montrose streamer. Please contact me for info and reserve your spot with me in advance.

For very economical accommodations, a few are staying at the KOA in Oscoda. This is about a 30 minute drive from the point but would be the most economical accommodations. Let me know if you are making arrangements there so we know who to look for on the beach and who to include in our other activities! http://koa.com/campgrounds/oscoda/

2 days until departure to see the wizard!.....
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 pm

We had a glorious group with wonderful winds, terrific temps, sizzling sun and some nasty nightlife... what happens in Tawas stays in Tawas... ;)

This all added up to some incredible kiting on the bay as well as lake side for our group of 11! We have brought back with us 3 new kiters who are up and riding as well as a brand new female orientation!... Yeah baby, we need more girls out there with us! Congratts people!!

Look forward to having you all, as well as the one's who couldn't make it this round, for 2013 part II in August! http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteboarding_messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11931

Enjoy some of the shots...

The bay waiting sweetly for us upon our Thur eve arrival... wind started to build just then.....

1st thang Fri morn... it was on like Donkey Kong!....

Perm-a-grins-a-plastered everywhere!

Hmm, isn't this the harness with 2 owners in the Lost & Found section???

Chillin' between sessions... kiting ALLL day.....

Jason gets launch duties for Gustavo since he had the matching hat....

Lil kite repair

Susanna's gonna get her some!!

This is what happens when the shop who sold you the brand new Cabrinha does a warranty replacement LE bladder but doesn't tuck-n-fold the end. Blowout!!! Sorry that ruined your trip Gustavo....

Way ta break 'er in Tyler!!

We've lured another over to the dark side..... um, I mean we've created another stoke!

Stranded on a desert island?? No prob... got everything needed

End of a beautiful day on the beach....

Jumpin' up on stage to sing with the local band, after dinner, is where the debauchery began Saturday night......

ShotSki!!!

A trip down the Michigan coast wouldn't be complete without a stop at The Kirby House in Grand Haven for some real wood fired fare...
Last edited by WaWaZat on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:22 am

yeah buddy, was wonderin how it was for you guys up there.....mission accomplished, and yeah that is the bomb for da wood fired that's for sure.... :D

Stoked you got it Mike, good Karma Diamond Dave!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Return to Open Forum