Accident at Keegs

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Accident at Keegs

Postby nick0331 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I just want to say thank you to guys who helped me recover from my unfortunate accident today at Keegs. Thanks for rescuing my board and kite.
nick0331
Kiter Noob

Re: Accident at Keegs

Postby STF » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:50 am

title of this scared me for a second, glad you're OK. What happened? That place is not called a washing machine for nothing.

It was a great day out yesterday, I'm toast today.

live and learn!
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby adseguy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:20 am

STF wrote:title of this scared me for a second, glad you're OK.

+1 to that
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby dbur » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:24 am

Ivo and Paul helped recovering kite and bar/lines off the jetty, kudos to them for doing that.

Another kitemare unfolded earlier in the pool, with two kites getting tangled, both riders released them and one of the kites ended up on the second jetty.
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Kevin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:23 pm

I still don't get why people don't go to Zion on a North. It's a nice setup there these days, with a small walk on the wood chip trail to the beach from the Nature Center just south of the hotel. And cleaner wind.

When things go wrong on a cranking North wind, the jetty in front of you is not your friend.
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Nick you already thanked once yesterday!What happen there buddy?I saw you slammed that kite in front of jetty from parking lot..kite was easy,sorry about the bar,Petr hold me and I got it once in a hand,but no knife to cut it out,it was stuck under the rocks and when we got almost flushed out from jetty for the second time,lines around us,I said f.... it.I would chat with you what happen,but we had cars in Zion and they would locked them in,we were actually leaving the time I saw you tomahawked that beast.?Did the bar got loose later?

Glad you were ok,you can always buy new gear.... :wink:

Kevin wrote:I still don't get why people don't go to Zion on a North. It's a nice setup there these days, with a small walk on the wood chip trail to the beach from the Nature Center just south of the hotel. And cleaner wind.

When things go wrong on a cranking North wind, the jetty in front of you is not your friend.

Its one of those things you can't explain,if you dont try both spots in same day,you'll never understand..we tried thousand times.
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby dbur » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:33 am

yeah, it was discussed many times, Zion on N or NE is much cleaner and there is no obstruction downwind ie jetty, flat water in the pool is nice but put 5 kites in there and there is simply no more room...
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 am

Which launch at Zion?

Can you describe it in detail please.

I've always launched by the big fallen log, north of the hotel.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby V » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:16 pm

More of this stuff will get kiting banned in that location. Let's try to keep it clean. If you get close to the jetty just ride to the beach and walk upwind instead of risking it. (though not sure what happened)...

If the bar is still there, go on a non-windy day with no waves and cut it out then maybe?
V
Unstrapped!

Postby dbur » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 pm

at Zion take right before the conference center and park at the Nature center (there is sign), then walk to the beach via trail on the south end of the parking lot, distance wise walk is similar to Waukegan but is nicer, beach is wide and no obstructions for at least a mile (except for the nudists that congregate at the south end of the beach)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=zion+il&l ... s&t=h&z=18
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby t bagger bob » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:08 pm

To get to the other launch at Zion, turn right at the Nature Center before you get to the Hotel.
Plenty of parking and a wood chip path, (similar in distance to the Waukegan beach), will lead you to the beach.
Years ago the beach used to be narrow, but Mother Nature moved more sand in and the beach has plenty of room, again similar to Waukegan.
Another bonus is that very few swimmer/sunbathers use this area.
Final bonus, there is about a mile of open beach downwind of the launch before you reach the border of the park and if the sh*t really hits the fan, more open beach beyond that.
Give it a try.

It`s a big lake, spread out.
livin for wind
t bagger bob
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Kevin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Edit: tried to post a pic of spot, didn't work
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Return to Open Forum