Tawas 2013 Part II!!! August 15-18

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Tawas 2013 Part II!!! August 15-18

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Those who made the trek with us recently have seen the Tawas magic 1st hand! 11 of us all together with plastered smiles... 3 of those 11 took advantage of lessons and have come back accomplished kiters!

For those uninitiated... Tawas Point, in East Tawas MI, is located on Lake Huron and about a 6 hour drive from Chi. It is the perfect spot for learning and any level of riding. The launches are on either side of the point... wind direction determines which side we are on. One side is a very large flat water bay with shallow waters. The other side is known as the "Lake side" but it differs from most Lake Michigan launches in that there are less pummeling waves, is shallow further out from shore and even though when staring out over the lake you're looking at Canada, is surprisingly a bit warmer than our Chi waters at times because of how shallow it is! Since we can kite on both sides of the point, this spot works in every wind direction! Now for the real magic... besides the great companionship that always gather on these trips... Tawas is great for thermal action! Many times you can ignore the wind forecast... usually all we need are warm, sunny conditions with a Southerly flow and like magic, we have wind!! But we've had it good on some Northern directions too. Many times we've made this trek and there was NO wind around Chicago and the 15-20 of us there were cruising the Huron waters with perm-a-grins!!

Map; http://goo.gl/maps/vc32f Check out pix from the last trip; http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteboarding_messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11887&p=57554#p57554

I have managed to procure 1 campsite in the State Park, right off the launch, as well as some cabin accommodations. As before, there are lessons available. PLEASE CONTACT ME RIGHT AWAY IF INTERESTED FOR DETAILS OR TO LOCK YOU SPOT BEFORE THEY FILL. Best way will be via my email address below.

Hopefully those who couldn't fit this trip in their schedule last time can make it happen this time. If you are thinking about or planning a lesson, I really need to hear from you right away so we can make certain you have a spot as well as accommodations... what I have secured is limited.

So let's see a show of hands!! Best way to contact me for this trip is email; eus@3mekite.com
Last edited by WaWaZat on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Re: Tawas 2013 Part II!!!

Postby Bryce FLK » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 am

When?
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Re: Tawas 2013 Part II!!!

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 am

Bryce FLK wrote:When?
What are you talking about, even though I was posting this after a loooong day, I remebered to put the dates right in the title.... don't you see it?! :wink: :wink:

Thanx for pointing it out Bryce.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Re: Tawas 2013 Part II!!! August 15-18

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:26 am

Do you think you might plan for a September as well?
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:38 am

Dutchkiteboarder wrote:Do you think you might plan for a September as well?
Think this will be it until next summer. More trips to other locales announced soon!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Alright... great response for this trip! We've got 13 all together so far. Luckily I was able to procure another cabin and literally snatch another campsite!! Email me for details if interested in going. The cabin is on the bay with a nice, sandy chill beach and is about 3 miles from the launch. The campsite is a very nice state park with abundant and clean shower & bathroom facilities and is right next to the launch sites!

I'm already filling the extra campsite and cabin but have some spots left so not too late if you act right away. There are also spaces left for lessons as well.

Great opportunity to finally learn this sport for all you who have been wanting to! We had 3 new beginners last time and all 3 came back riding!... something that is a lot more difficult to achieve on our big bad lake around here. 2 of those new riders are locked in for this trip and will be honing their new skills! Excellent company on these excursions as well! Come enjoy the experiences with us!!

Mike
eus@3mekite.com
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 pm

A few days and counting and we're off to see the wizard!! We have 17 people joining us this round... gonna be a sweet time! If you want lessons and haven't locked them in yet, please do so right away. You are not scheduled until you have sent payment and spots are about full. It will also help me out to get the schedule finished.

Looking forward to having everyone who can, join us at The Kirby House in Grand Haven on the way home Sunday for some outta this world wood fired oven fare! Always a good way to celebrate on the way down the Lake Michigan coast. And who knows, if we're short on wind in Tawas Sunday, we've caught it good in Muskegon on the way home. This kind of stuff makes this even more of an adventure!!

Mike
eus@3mekite.com
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Half the crew just wrapped up dinner at The Jack's. Those that made it out early got it good... 20 on as 5 forecast!! Hopin' for s'more a dat Tawas magic this weekend...
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby tyedye » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Save some of that magic in a jar for when you come back. My harness needs a lift.
Tyler
tyedye
Chop Wrestler

Postby dbur » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:28 pm

considering the forecast - trip exceeded my expectations, fun time at the beach and a great crew! hope everyone made it back safely...
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Jimbo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 am

After everyone left around 5 PM on Sunday, Rodney and I stayed on the beach and waited for the evening thermals down to our last two beers, Alas light wind came at sunset straight on shore,
buzzing the shore line about 2 feet off the sand up and down the peninsula with the moon light as our guide, finished around 10:30 PM. I was at peace with Heaven :D
Next day Monday Around noon 20+ knots SE 12 Meters out till 3:30 then hit the road. Fun trip for sure.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Return to Open Forum