2013 Fall Cape Hatteras trip info - Oct 5th - 19th.

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

2013 Fall Cape Hatteras trip info - Oct 5th - 19th.

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi,

Fall winds are right around the corner and we (Kiteriders) are finally able to confirm plans for the trip this year to Cape Hatteras, NC. (OBX). We had a little set back with the first house, but are all set and ready to get all your plans set. Please read this carefully since the dates are coming up fast for commitments and payments.

This is our 7th training and riding trip to Cape Hatteras in North Carolina.
The dates are Oct 5th - 19th for 14 full days or riding, training and fun. Most riders pick week 1 or week 2.

Week 1 = October 5th - 12th (leaving the morning of October 12th). Sat - Sat
Week 2 = October 12th - October 19th (leaving the morning of October 19th). Sat - Sat.

DETAILS:

TRAINING, RIDING AND CONDO PRICING:

1) Weekly pricing for the bunk room or separate king or queen rooms.
*** $219.00 per person for 7 nights in the 4 person bunk room.
*** $419.00 per room for 7 nights in one of the 4 queen or king rooms.
*** If 2 people are willing to share a King or Queen Room, you split the cost.

2) We have openings for riders or couples who are interested in training. This trip has filled up in one week in the past, so please contact me asap if interested.
*** 5 hour training packages are $450.00 and this package is geared towards beginner riders.
*** 3 hour training packages are $270.00 and geared towards existing riders looking to improve your riding. Wake style, wave riding, jumping and more.
*** If more training hours are needed, we can add them while on the trip.
*** We limit the amount of training space to ensure the best student to trainer ratio possible.

3) For those who want training, but are up and riding, we may do a ride along with myself or another coach. A ride along is where the student and coach are both riding kites and we coach you in the shallow waters by showing you new moves, tricks, etc. One of the biggest benefits of riding in Cape Hatteras is the ability to stay in shallow water which makes learning new moves much easier. With modern high depower kites, it’s super easy for both the student and instructor to take breaks on the water with the kites safely depowered and talk about the next portion of the progression and tricks.

CONDO AND WINDS:

4) We are staying at the same house as we did this Spring. It's a fantastic Condo/house right off of the Pamlico Sound in south Salvo. Centrally located in the tri city area and near some of the best riding spots on the Pamlico Sound and Ocean. It has 6 bedrooms total with 4 of them being master bedrooms and even has a pool table and of course wireless internet. Stoked for the condo.

The Pamlico Sound is well known for some of the best flat water riding in the country and miles and miles of shallow - knee to waist deep water.
Cape Hatteras is also known for its many downwinder sessions on the sound or ocean. We'll take you to some really good riding spots on either the ocean or sound side depending on wind directions and riders’ abilities, etc.
For ocean riding, there are 50-60 miles of coast line to pick and choose from depending on wind direction. Cape Hatteras has a lot to offer riders of all abilities.

October is typically a great month for winds. Be prepared for mostly warm temps, but it could get cool or even cold. Bring every size kite, board, wet suit, etc. if you have gear. Fall can bring some strong winds.

GEAR:

5) I'll have a great selection of demo kites and boards packed and ready to use for demos or renting.
2014 Cabrinha SB IDS
2014 Cabrinha boards
2014 Slingshot Rally's
2012 Slingshot Rally's
2013 Slingshot RPM's and 2013 Turbine.
2013 Blade Triggers, Primes and 17m Fat Lady
2014 Axis boards
2014 Slingshot Kite Surf boards
2014 Cabrinha Kite Surfboards
2013 Litewave DV8 Kite Surfboards

Plus a few surprises.

*** For new riders who are doing the training package, there will be a minimal $60 charge to use our gear. If purchasing any kites, boards or packages through Kiteriders, this will be fully refunded towards your purchase.
*** If by chance the wind gods do not cooperate and new riders who are doing the training package do not use all the hours, I will give credit back for time not used towards any gear.
*** Priority of gear and accommodations will go to those who are paying for the full package deal with training.

SATISFACTION GUARANTEE FOR STUDENTS:

If at the end of the trip your expectations were not met, we'll make things right. Those who know me and Kiteriders will attest that we'll do what is needed to make sure all students are satisfied with the results and efforts.

THE CHILL FACTOR:

The goal is for everyone to have a great time, meet new friends and talk about the days awesome sessions while chilling over some beers and food in the hot tub, etc. We're all there to do our part to make sure everyone chips in when needed so the Karma gods are with us at all times.
Everyone is there to learn and ride…including the coaches and trainers. Our main focus though is to make sure everyone has a great trip.

FINAL NOTES AND DUE DATES:

*** Final decisions and should be made no later than Wednesday Sept 4th.
*** Prices will rise after the 4th of September for those not confirmed.
*** Payments due asap in full by Wednesday September 11th. I prefer a check, Dwolla.com, cashiers check or money order by the 11th of September. Credit cards are also accepted.
*** For those who are flying, you can fly into Norfolk, VA. or other nearby airports such as Newport News, and Washington DC. It's about 2.5 to 3 hours to Cape Hatterasfrom Norfolk, VA.
*** If driving, let me know if there are opportunities to car pool.

I'll do my best to answer your questions that come up, so please let me know asap if you can join us this year in OBX.

Bob
Robert Cook
Kite-Riders, LLC
2944 Ivanhoe Glen
Madison, WI 53711
608-273-1817 ph
608-273-1813 fax
608-358-0514 cell
bob@kiteridersllc.com
http://www.kiteridersllc.com
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Re: 2013 Fall Cape Hatteras trip info - Oct 5th - 19th.

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Anyone looking for a great trip this fall at an awesome location? OBX baby.

We just had a few people have to cancel their trip with us due to scheduling problems and injuries.

The first week has 2 bunks free and one king room.

The second week has one bunk free, but that might be taken already.

Let me know asap if you are interested. These trips are always a ton of fun and I'll have a lot of new 2013 and 2104 gear to try and demo.

Thanks....Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Update

I just had one of my better friends have to cancel for the second week. Oct 12th - 19th.

It's a king room. If anyone wants this spot, let me know asap.
Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:11 pm

2nd week open spot filled up right away, so second week is completely full.

Still have a king room first week and a bunk. Oct 5th-12th.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby xwindsurf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 pm

I know it is very late in the game... but if someone else tried to book Week 2 with Bob, and couldn't because there was no room, and still wants to go, it STILL can be done on the cheap, very cheap. October 12-19, or 13-20.
PM or call
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:07 pm

Tom,

Where are you guys staying?

We're in Salvo.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby xwindsurf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:14 pm

I hooked up with Mike's group so I have to call it off.
See you all at OBX!
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Packing and getting ready to hit the road tomorrow. Hope to see some of you at OBX this week!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby xwindsurf » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:26 pm

It looks like some serious winds coming there!
Are you staying for one week, or two?
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:28 pm

25+ Kites
10+ Twin tips
7+ Kite Surf boards
10+ Wet suits
7+ Harnesses

All packed on the jet ski trailer and ready for some serious OBX action.

Still have one spot left the first week and it not too late. Forecast looks really good.

See you all there.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Thomaz I think I am gonna miss you, I am staying one week, heading to Kentucky the 11th.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby xwindsurf » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Bummer...
Well, enjoy yourself, good company, great winds, awesome ocean..
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:24 pm

I completely forgot about the arrival time contest, but was reminded I need to do this.

I'll give some info to help.

1) Our best guess for leaving is around 1:00 - 3:00 PM Friday October 4th 2013.
2) There is an hour time difference. It's one hour earlier in OBX.
3) We have to stop in Toledo to deliver a SUP and paddle. It's right on the way though.
3) The time used is when we cross S-Turns and the first house on HWY 12 once we reach Rodanthe/Mirlo Beach.
4) Top 3 choices will win a prize. And the 1st place prize is quite good.
5) Game ends once we reach our destination.
6) One guess per person.

Good luck and we've actually had riders guess the exact time of arrival.

Image[/img]
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby xwindsurf » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Bob, it's a small detail but it is one hour LATER in OBX than here.
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Yes...check #2 above.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:40 pm

How's the wind boys?! Chi crew starts rollin' in tomorrow eve. We're on a 1 acre private grassy launch off Pappy Lane 4 miles North of you... downwinders galore back-n-forth on anything with West in it?!! Save some for us!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Good morning, Good afternoon, Good evening from OBX.

Crazy fun trip so far with an awesome crew 1st week and 2nd week. Here's a quick rundown of the 2 weeks so far.

So let's start with the most recent day...today. We're only 2 days into week 2 and had good winds yesterday and it really kicked in today.

Most every days agenda is as follows: get up early and if there's wind, we're on the water. No screwing around. Got to get the wind. 4 of 5 days we were the first ones on the sound either training or riding. Yesterday and today, we started out training really early and getting both Brett Edgerle and Mike Gerritts out for practice and also got my son Austin up and riding. Great progress be everyone.

After 2 really good training sessions this morning, I hit the sound early afternoon for about and hour and a half of just plain lit 10m riding. Upwinder to the Real Slick and slashed and burned a bunch with some decent jumping. Then, I got word late afternoon that the ocean was much better than last week. Last week, the ocean was basically violent. Today, it was insanely good. Ted and Ray joined me for a late afternoon 8 mile ocean session, but Ray had some gear issues and had to bail.

The ocean was much much better than spring time and I got the chance to de-virgin the Cabrinha Skillitt. Man...I just love that board. 10m perfectly powered and waves were quite well organized for OBX and rode the most aggressive session ever in the ocean.

Awesome start to week 2 with a great crew as always. Malcolm, Mandie, John, Ted, Mike, Mike, Ray, Grigory, Brett, JJ, Austin and Bob. Rob and his friend Mark joined us for dinner last night.

Tomorrow (Tuesday the 14th looks WINDY all day.)

Week 1:

A strange week for wind predictions. The forecast at one point said 20-30 or higher wind every single day. We didn't quite get wind every day, but it was good for 4 days. Our first day of riding was on Monday and it was perfect for everyone to get aquatinted with riding here. Bigger kites, but great training sessions with Amanda, Austin and Gregg.

Oh...we were the first ones on the sound that day.

2nd day? Rain and wind. I think it might have been remnants of hurricane kathy that just draped over us for 2 full days. So no-one wanted to venture out, but I had to go. Rain looked like it might have some storms with it, but I saw a small opening and took it. I ended up being the only one on the sound for quite a while and did an upwinder to the slick quite lit on an 8m 2014 Rally. Spent about 1.5 hours up there. Then riders started to come out and even though it was raining all day, it was great. Amanda did awesome with her training.

Day 3? Nate Semple and I took a look at the ocean at 7:30 am and said, no fricking way. I started laughing and said, "yea....NO." Violent explosions near shore. Unorganized mess. So we went back to the house and rigged for the sound. Nate had a 7m and I had my 8m 2014 Rally from the day before. I went 100 yards and turned right around and went and got my 6m 2012 Rally. The 8m was WAY too much. Did another upwinder to the Real slick and the winds were just insane. Gusty, crazy, gusty. Did I say gusty? Oh....and it was raining really hard. By this time, Nate went back in and headed out of town to make sure he could get off the island OK.. Mirlo was flooding. I was the only person on the water once again, but I had a small mishap with my kite while all the way up at the Slick and had to downwind it back to the house. Oh...and that 2012 Rally didn't really care for those really gusty winds. I wasn't done man. I went right in to get yet a 3rd kite and rigged my 6m RPM. OMG....that was fricking Heaven. Did yet another upwinder to the slick and guess what? STILL no-one else on the water. WTF? Wonder if they saw the gusty nature of the 6m Rally and decided to bail. Or the rains kept them away. Just cant believe how good it was, with the right kite and knowing how to ride gusty winds.

Day 4 was lighter winds, but good riding nonetheless.

Week 1 crew was Gregg, Justin, Amanda, Maurice, Jim, Phill, JJ, Austin and Bob.

Tomorrow looks like big winds out of the N and NNW. Looking forward to getting more training in with the crew and hopefully some more insane ocean riding. Side side off could lead to stupid fun ocean conditions.

Peace out.

Bob

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Return to Open Forum