2014 Rally Review

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

2014 Rally Review

Postby Northerner » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:26 am

I wanted to write a quick review of the New 2014 12 meter Rally as I feel it is a bit game changer in terms of kite performance and capabilities. I have 10-12 sessions on the 12 meter after buying one 3 weeks ago. I weigh 180-190lbs depending on the holiday season and now for the first time ever a 12 meter is my light wind kite. I have been riding 2011-2012 Rallys and Rpms actively for 3 years now so I know the kite line well. This summer I just started to the think about a new 12 meter to replace my 12 RPM, but not on a serious level. That changed after demoing the 2014 Rally, as I liked what I felt in terms of low end, hang time and stability.

The low end of the kite is simply insane. Yes it is a bit bigger than the 2012 12 meter rally that we laid on top of it, but only by 3-4” inches on the trailing edge and 4-5 inches at the wing tips. Basically I can ride this kite down to 15-16 mph on a surf board and have fun. It tops out for me around 24-25 where it becomes just ride and boost.

For the first time in my many years of kiting this is the first kite that makes me feel that I truly am attached to a wing. The kite jumps big as all Rally’s did, but this one hangs more. In fact it is a bit uncomfortable as I am now finding myself inadvertently adding a confusing second rotation to my jumps and transitions. Just need more time I guess. Basically the kite has tons of glide and hang time, much more than my 2012 12 rpm which it replaced.

The stability is another aspect worth discussing as it does not become misshaped as other Rally models have in in the past when throwing loops or unhooking. The leading edge is the thick and meaty. I have rode the kite in one wave session and it drifted nicely, which is important as it not a quick turning kite that one followings in the turns. Instead I would put the kite at round 1-2 o’clock and make my turns with kite drifting with me. I have had it out once in some intense and gusty side to side off wind south of Sheboygan 2 weeks ago were it depowered nicely when the big boys came through and it kept its shape. Thus Slingshot improved on one of the problems past Rallys had (deformation) when a person was really pushing it.

Downside off the kite: First it is slower than the 2011- 2012 rallies and my 12 RPM, enough that it is making me change my how I approach my tricks and timing. Power in loops, while the kite does not deform like the older rallies on hard loops it does not produce power like my RPM did on a loop and I miss that. Lastly the large leading edge takes more effort to pump as one needs to get this kite and all kites rock hard.

In closing this is an outstanding kite for 85-90 percent of the riders around here. It provides huge of amounts of what we like about kiting, getting out on the water and big air. Another point worth mentioning is that my wife enjoyed the two sessions she had on the kite in 13-15 Mph wind. She is 135lb and liked the pull, easy of control and stability of the kite. This comes from a person who thinks kiting sucks unless she is on a 10 or smaller.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Re: 2014 Rally Review

Postby skysurfr » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:44 pm

The dreaded "confusing second rotation"..... I hate when that happens!

Im still in the air, and Im going around again.. .... so much for visualizing how this was going to go.. lol

:-)
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Rorke » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks Sheriff.
To all who don't know this guy, any review from him is legit.

I have been riding an 8m/10m/12m Rally combo during this last season. (Have not been on 6m yet)
The 8m and 10m are 2012. They are my favorite kites I have ever been on, not that I have been on all kites, but have sampled a bunch.
A dealer in FL who carries many brands was offering me pro deals including Slingshot. I opted to spend more and go with Bob at Kiteriders. Local-ish. Service. Consulting.

Bob knows my preferences and encouraged me to go with the 2012. Happy as hell with these. Love them!
There were no 2012 12m Rally's on the planet, so I went with 2013. Totally different kite. Not my cup of tea at first. But now I like it as my lightwind kite - 190lbs, Surfboard.
I am going to bring the 2013 to a local sail loft and have them stitch in some modifications. I think it will work. Perhaps I should model my changes off of the 2014 instead of the 2012.

I only surf. The kites drift forever.

Shralp ON!

Rorke
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby billg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:14 am

What is the difference between the 2013 and the 2014? I replaced my 2012 - 12 meter with a 2013 twelve meter, totally different kite, but the more I ride it the more I like it. The trailing edges wore out on the 2012 but Airtime in Florida did a great job replacing the panels and beefing up the trailing edge. Thinking about replacing my 2012 9 meter but I really like that kite. Do I do a close out 2013 or new 2014 - 9 meter?
billg
Board Slinger

Postby Pier » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Oh yesss, greatly detailed review Sheriff! Love it.

I might ask you to demo it next time I'm up there and it's light, I'm looking for a light wind kite and that sounds like a good fit.

I can offer some home brews in exchange...

;)

By the way, when are we going to Superior?
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Resident Windfreak

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:32 am

@Billg,

What style of riding are you into most? This could make a difference on which kite to get or to keep the current 9m 2012 Rally. I do have a closeout 9m 2013 Rally that is brand new, but if you are really into wave riding, the 2012 is still better. If you are into all around riding and want a kite that is more stable and jumps easier and goes upwind easier, then the 2013 and 2014 Rally's are better.

As you get to smaller sizes though, the differences are less noticeable. The 2013 and 2014 Rally's have more of an arcing turn instead of a pivot turn which keeps more power in the turns and better lift and hang time. The 2012's are a little fatter in the middle which makes them better for waves especially when riding strapless.

Hope this helps,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:47 am

@Pier,

If we are in the same neck of the woods, I currently have a 2014 Rally DEMOS in 14m, 12m and 10m with the 8m and 6m coming soon for the fall monsoon winds. Are you heading to Hatteras by chance this fall? We'll be there for 2 weeks in OCT.

@Rorke....thanks man. Glad you are liking the 2012's.

@Andrew....great review and thanks for doing this and it's spot on. You had a lot more time on the 2014's before I finally got some awesome sessions recently on the 14m and 12m's.

I'll add that anyone who knows me knows I've had my fair share of injuries and some quite serious in recent years, so it's been a mental block getting back to jumping big. The 2014 Rally is a completely redesigned kite by Slingshot from the ground up. It looks similar in many ways, but there are a lot of differences according to Tony Logosz (Slingshot owner and kite designer). In a nutshell, the kite has more hang time, lighter bar pressure and quicker turning than 2013.

So I've been constantly jumping as high or higher than most in the Madison, Sheboygan area and that is saying a lot, 'cuz some of these guys go ridiculously big.

Truth statement:
2012 Rally's are still better for waves.
2013 Rally's are great kites for free riding.
2014 Rally's are just that much better than 2013's for those who can tell the difference.

One last thing...Jens had a session on the Rally and mentioned it was buckling at the wing tips when looping and putting it through the paces. This is one if his tests on most all kites. If riders are flying this kite super aggressive, it needs to be pumped super hard. Also, from the nature of the wing tips still being less supported compared to other bridled designs, you still might get a little buckling. It's probably not even an issue for most, but for a beast rider like Jens, it may need to be pumped harder and just the nature of the design.

Hope this helps and keep an eye on my 2013's on closeout to make room for the 2014's.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Northerner » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:55 am

I love my 2012 Rallys for the Surf and it a outstanding free ride kite for my wife. They gave her the comfort and confidence she needed to become a good rider.

Did ride my 2014 in big stuff thursday night and for the first time was getting alittle buckling in the wing tips. Huge Air was being pucked like low hanging ripe fruit.

I agree that everything in the thread is right on the mark in reagrds to the kite. Glad the review helps
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Pier » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:20 am

Bob wrote:@Pier,

If we are in the same neck of the woods, I currently have a 2014 Rally DEMOS in 14m, 12m and 10m with the 8m and 6m coming soon for the fall monsoon winds. Are you heading to Hatteras by chance this fall? We'll be there for 2 weeks in OCT.

Hi Bob, thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind.

Unfortunately I won't be able to go to Hatteras this year... :-(

However, I hope we will be able to meet in the area sometime this fall for some wave action...chances are that we won't do that if the wind is light so the 12m demo may not occur... :?

Let's see what the fall winds will bring to us!
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum