2014 BROKITE....a look inside

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

2014 BROKITE....a look inside

Postby BRO » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:56 am

Here's a short video to show what the 2014 Brokite looks like on the inside. We build them with high density neutral foam core sections that are individually wrapped with carbon fiber. This is an expensive, skilled, and time consuming process that gives us a board that's light, lively, and, strong.

Boards with wood cores use the core thickness to control board flex and use ABS plastic in a good part of the thin tail for even more flex. Wood is not the best material for dynamic flex response and ABS plastic is even worse. Wood core construction is cheap, fast, and simple.

Carbon Fiber rules for weight reduction and dynamic flex response , if used correctly. To bring a board alive you must use the right materials the right way, only then, you can maximize it's performance. If your on a 2014 Bro, your riding on 5 finely tuned carbon fiber leaf springs, hold-on!

[youtube]jH0JvC0NpMI[/youtube]

BROKITE...NO FAT...NO TREES...CORPORATE FREE...SINCE 2005
BRO
Pump Master

Re: 2014 BROKITE....a look inside

Postby snowball » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:26 am

Look'n good. Still lovin my 2010 134 bro to this day.

My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby IVO » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 pm

"I dont think they use much of wood and fiberglass on space shuttles" hahaha,good one Jerry!Thanks for sharing inside scoop to BroKite and Im looking forward to try new boards :wink:
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:54 am

Great vid Captain Toeside...a simple explanation about complex construction. Talk about being head and shoulders above the rest....there really isn't any other board that is even in the conversation. Brokite is the very best built board in the world!!!!!

When Jerry and I began making kiteboards over 10 years ago, we did it because the industry was flooding the market with CRAP.....all the technology that went into building kites, and improving kites....and still the boards are just "punched out" of factories like jelly beans, what an insult to the consumer, to the everyday passion-filled kiter.....Paying top dollar for an airbrushed noodle....a wood-cored, fiberglassed piece of *#~&....what a shame, what a shame....

If you feel like stepping into the 21st century, put down your mass produced, mass marketed, pro-sponsored pork chop; and step onto a crème deluxe BROKITE board....there is no comparison!!! :wink:

For several years Brokite was the only custom kiteboard being hand-built in the USA. That is something that we are very proud of; every single step is done by hand, one board at a time....that is CUSTOM!!

Recently Slingshot moved their board facility back to the USA. A move that they are equally proud of....and they consider themselves as making hand-built custom boards in the USA......it is amazing how much is determined by perspective!! Take a look at the video of their kiteboards being built, and wonder if you want your next board to be pulled off the stacks of boards sitting in their factory, made of wood and fiberglass......or if you'd rather have a handmade carbon fiber custom board.....the choice is yours. And no offense to Slingshot, almost every other kiteboard built, is built with wood and fiberglass, in a factory with hundreds more, much like a cookie at Pillsbury.....don't be a "dough-head"!!

Catch me at the beach and give a BROKITE a spin.....it is simply a ride like no other!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfjv6GfBjxg
West
Wind Whore

Postby IVO » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm

West wrote:
If you feel like stepping into the 21st century, put down your mass produced, mass marketed, pro-sponsored pork chop; and step onto a crème deluxe BROKITE board....there is no comparison!!! :wink:

Catch me at the beach and give a BROKITE a spin.....it is simply a ride like no other!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfjv6GfBjxg

need the Visual?

Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby BRO » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Here are some more video's showing kiteboard factorys pumping out $700 wood core boards which are loaded into containers and ship to the U.S. market for mass consumption. These are the brave ones that show us the materials and construction methods that they use. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZXEv_5qa9o
CABRINHA Factory in China

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47TGZ-_L1k
FLYBOARDS Factory in Europe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3Kdve2kFE
CRAZYFLY Factory in Slovakia
BRO
Pump Master

Postby kwk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Did I see that correctly that Flyboards and Crazy fly are just slapping a sheet of carbon fiber over the wood core and calling it a carbon board? If so what a wast e of carbon fiber. I cant see that it would really add any strength to the board or save on weight. It appeared Cabrinha was using fiberglass cloth and not pretending to make a carbon board like the other two.
Keith
kwk
Master of Kite

Postby West » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:36 am

jump like a rabbit, turn like a gazelle..... :wink:

Yeah, when you get a look inside another board; well, it ain't exactly impressive now, is it? So rest assured that if you aren't riding on a BROKITE, that you are drastically limiting your riding level and enjoyment....

Take a look at the outside of your board....what kind of bottom shape does it have? Most boards have a bottom shape that is as flat as the table you eat breakfast on....imagine how the water reacts with that....To see how our boards become one with the water, just check Ivo's fine photography work in the pic above. Our concave bottom allows the board to stay loose while remaining positive ( a seemingly paradoxical statement until one takes a ride)!! If your board does not have a FLAT bottom, then it probably has a "gimmicky" bottom, something like channels or grooves to make it bite a bit better...well you can just imagine how loose that board is, and what kind of turns you can expect it to carve....

Remember, don't be a "dough-head"....do your research, take a test ride, and forget all the HYPE; honesty don't try to foooooooool you......BROKITE!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby noabacca » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:05 pm

West wrote:jump like a rabbit, turn like a gazelle..... :wink:

Yeah, when you get a look inside another board; well, it ain't exactly impressive now, is it? So rest assured that if you aren't riding on a BROKITE, that you are drastically limiting your riding level and enjoyment....

Take a look at the outside of your board....what kind of bottom shape does it have?

1.) Most boards have a bottom shape that is as flat as the table you eat breakfast on....imagine how the water reacts with that....

To see how our boards become one with the water, just check Ivo's fine photography work in the pic above.

2.) Our concave bottom allows the board to stay loose while remaining positive ( a seemingly paradoxical statement until one takes a ride)!!

3.) If your board does not have a FLAT bottom, then it probably has a "gimmicky" bottom, something like channels or grooves to make it bite a bit better...
well you can just imagine how loose that board is, and what kind of turns you can expect it to carve....

Remember, don't be a "dough-head"....do your research, take a test ride, and forget all the HYPE; honesty don't try to foooooooool you......BROKITE!!!!

West, are you saying flat is good or that channels/concave and grooves/concave are not good, or what?

If my 04 foam and glass "flat" boards ever broke, I might like to try me some of those Brocaine boards.
Never could figure out how to stomp a C-kite with a concave board on rails. That water's gotta sheet.

“All the above content is West's opinion and definitely should not be acted upon. The words are not a recommendation to do anything regarding any subject. West cannot and shall not be held liable for the actions of others, in any matter.” ≈V
noabacca
Master of Kite

Postby West » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:41 am

Kiting in HSP at the moment....I will answer your questions bout my theory on hydrodynamics later Noah...but a FLAT bottom is no bueno mi amigo!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby West » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:18 am

well the wind never let up in last November...I tagged 23 of 30 days, my best stretch ever on the Big Lake; what a splendid run it was....WOW!!!!

....as the snow begins to thaw today (only to snow again this wknd) and Spring lingers around the corner up here in Chicago, the weather is warm and the wind is a blowin' down in South Texas. Jerry is in the shop making some of the 2014 boards with the newly designed skins....

To respond to your questions Noah. Flat bottoms are cheap and easy to make for board makers; back in '04 a lot of board companies "punched em out" like that, just like your SS...even back then, our carbon fiber Zero Gravity boards had a concave bottom. When we started BROKITE, we developed a couple of bottom shapes to showcase that theory...a concave that diminishes before the rail and disappears before the tail; tailored for control, responsiveness and speed...the flat bottom was built for convenience and price control!!

As for the fiberglass SS '04.....that heavy thang will probably never break, but that doesn't mean you should continue to torture yourself by riding it. You'd be better off making that into a coffee table Noah, and riding a Brocaine off into the horizon... :wink: I always got a demo for ya...

Jerry will post some pics of the 2014 boards and like every year, I will be heading down to Corpus in Spring to help him make the best-built twintips in the world. The Chicago crew can save $50, with no shipping costs if I bring the boards back to Chicago with me in La Negra (little black Toyota truck)....
West
Wind Whore

Postby noabacca » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Heavy?

You must be mixing up the SX with the LF Drop and MLF, which had concave and were thee mass production boards of 2004.
And were noted to be heavy little bastards, by people who compared them to pretty much any other board.

The SX 122 weighs in at 2 kg.
132 weighs 2.4 kg.

I see you wanna brag about weight but the Brosite doesn't put up the numbers.

Thanks for clarifying that the Broboards are the best because they run a concave bottom that is nearly non-existent at the rails and they flatten out near the tips.
“All the above content is West's opinion and definitely should not be acted upon. The words are not a recommendation to do anything regarding any subject. West cannot and shall not be held liable for the actions of others, in any matter.” ≈V
noabacca
Master of Kite

Postby West » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:07 am

There are many reasons why we think that Brokite boards are the best, and bottom shape is definitely one of them...by watching the videos, one can see the different materials and techniques used by various board companies...the whole point of this thread and our construction videos is to allow kiters to actually recognize these differences.

The reason we have such an extensive demo program; with local riders having a board for the season, is to allow kiters to actually feel these differences on the water....we have demos scattered from Madison to Traverse City and many points in between to make it possible for all local riders to give a BRO a spin....and then they can formulate an opinion based on experience.

Shoots Noah, didn't intend to rub you the wrong way by insulting your board, it was purely in jest :wink: ...you obviously rip it up on that board, and if you are stoked riding it, then no need to change your stix!! Believe me, I understand how one can fall in love with their board..

I have been trying to get you on one of our boards for years.. Perhaps one of these days you can join the bros on a downwinder from the "honey hole" to the MECCA, and on the way back to Medberry while sipping on a Two Hearted and trucking down Old Channel Road , we can discuss how the BRO felt under your feet...

As for the weight of the BROKITE boards: each board is individually crafted (hence, the term "custom"); therefore, every board is unique. Although keeping down the weight of the boards is important, it is not our focus. Our focus is to create a "dynamic" board that responds to the forces placed upon it...that being said, my 138 Freeride comes in at 5 lbs 1 oz....if my conversion to kg is correct, that is 2.3 kg.

.....on the homefront at Brokite's World Headquarters in warm, windy Corpus Christi, Jerry is getting the shop set-up for an explosive board-building frenzy. We have been at it for over 10 years now, intent on building the very best board we can. Over the years Jerry has really "honed" the shop into a fine working environment!! He has just finished up a series of Hybids, as they seem to be our most popular board; a combination of the Pop and Freeride, it has proven to be a great all-around board. It is a favorite of the Michigan crew for downwinders, and was propelled into the spotlight by Red Legs and Ivo, who aptly termed it the "roly poly"...

The brewmaster himself, Matt, has just picked up one of the 2014 prototype boards we built, a 135 Hybrid, and judging by his rapid skill development on the downwinders last year, he will be pushing it even further this time around...can you say St Jo to New Buff?

Robert, who rides a 144 Hybrid, just ordered a 138 Freeride to complement his bigger brother...RK is actually putting a kiting trip together to South Texas with some buddies, and is planning on taking a tour of Brokite's headquarters...something tells me he will be enamored with the Tecate dispenser... :lol:

It's kind of kewl that although most of our boards are ridden in Corpus and in the Chicago area; Jerry is filling orders from Canada, Hawaii, and California as I type....as I have said before; we build for ourselves, our friends and the lucky few...check out the Brokite constuction videos, grab a BRO demo at the beach; educate yourself, then do yourself a favor, and ask yourself...do I feel lucky? well, do you?
West
Wind Whore

Postby V » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Noah, no fair posting 200# crew on any board will toss buckets...

Besides put on 1/2" larger fins and ride the rails like a freight train.

I rode Slingy boards for years. Brocaine is more everything. mo betta butta. Fancy a cuppa BRO, bro? But I'd also rather kite on plywood than not at all!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby noabacca » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:39 pm

West, yuh gets mah goat calling out my 10 year old go-to boards

and by denying that this is the coldest year ever, in recorded history,
and the beginning of the new ice age.

V, somethings don't change with middle-age weight gains.
I've added "mass", it is true.

noabacca
Master of Kite

Postby V » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:55 am

Oi. Time to work off the monkey in the middle. I have a feeling it is going to blow this season!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby JDL » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:16 pm

V wrote: I have a feeling it is going to blow this season!

That's what I'm talking about.......let her howl!!!
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Return to Open Forum