Remember, Remember, the 5th of November

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Remember, Remember, the 5th of November

Postby kitekid21 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:11 am

We, as a community were told that there would be changes to the forum following the request for donations in the following thread

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteboarding_messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11508&p=55570&hilit=money#p55570

I'm not accusing anyone of being dishonest with the collected money, but there's been no noticeable change in the forum. There are many people with ideas as to how to improve the forum and many people who are also willing to help (for little or no money at all).

I hate to be the one to bring all this up, but with cold weather already having arrived, there's no time like the present to update the forum with the decreased traffic we'll inevitably have in the winter.

For instance, yesterday, for no reason at all that I can tell, the forum lost my password, and it took a day and a half to be able to log back in. It's just a coincidence, but I've also spent a lot of time on this map (https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zyguk5w-1uO4.kd_StJIWwAWM), and it would be really cool to have it embedded on a page so that people can access it easier and send me updates too!

In addition, the links on the main page are out-of-date and many don't even work. I'm working on a compilation page for the "Pictures and Video" section sticky, but I can only do so much with what little access the forum allows it's users. It's 10 years old... and has basically no mobile compatibility either. Twitter compatibility could be cool too... but we'll take baby steps first. Also, for the record, is our "Latest Stoke" picture from 2005? Seriously. :roll:

There are hundreds of people depending on this forum for innumerable reasons (for instance, safety!!!), and I'm wondering what's holding us back from achieving something truly relevant and beneficial and dare I say, "hip" for this community. I don't know what's holding us back, but I'm willing to do what I can (for free!!) to make it better, and I hope others who are will chime in too...

I'm not saying I'm necessarily demanding change on Guy Fawkes day, but asking politely, and hoping that it'll start a discussion that accomplishes something. :D

(Damn, took too long, posted on the 6th. Oh well. :-( )
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Re: Remember, Remember, the 5th of November

Postby Kevin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 am

I'm one who donated.

Just make it a little more smartphone friendly (i.e. Tapatalk compatible like I've said countless times) is my only request.

-Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 am

I'm all for this Keith! I'm sure you've seen my post from about a year ago"ish" when spam hit the server as usual, but the old methods of security could not be upgraded. I think the largest part is to gather momentum from people.

If you (everyone) want a nicer site to browse with the same exact forums with small enhancements everywhere then speak up to say we want a little change. The owners of this site started something great, but have not kept up with the times. Not there fault really, life got in the way a bit. My contribution can be extensive from hosting, web page building, to forum security/maintenance all of which I have professional knowledge of and I'll do for free. I think the donation thing was a little embarrassing, and should have been done freely considering all the resources from other kiters, but that's just my opinion. Let's hope this second round can accomplish something.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby kitekid21 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:59 am

Kevin, I've noticed that for over a year, mobile compatibility is the only thing you've asked for.... it seems like you've asked 7-8 times. Let's do this!
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:12 am

Tapatalk is super easy too. It's just a plug-in. No configuration or maintenance plus it's not seen by anyone that doesn't want to use it.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby blaise » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Oh snap, an occupy chicago kitesurfing thread!
In all seriousness, I'm posting this via an ssh terminal session using lynx.
If that isn't compatiblility in 2013 then I don't know what is...
Ugly is the new pretty. This site is fairly contemprorary for an internet forum.
And in all honesty, UX is completely overrated in a niche internet community.
Guy Fawkes Day, on a kite forum? Really?
blaise
Sand Bagger

Postby kitekid21 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Blaise, I'm sure there are many members on this forum to whom a majority of what you said would be gibberish. Though I do know what you're talking about, I'm not intimately familiar with it and I'm not interested in learning much more about it. There's simple compatibility which we can achieve.

Settling for merely adequate is not something that we should do... especially after people have now donated money and continue to put in a lot of effort into it.

This is a post that I've been waiting to post for a while. It honestly was just convenient that it was yesterday (as a joke... lighten up buddy).

But on a bit more of a personal note I've noticed a trend lately over the past year and a half... and that is that you have only ever posted on this forum in response to things I've posted, and usually in a unfriendly opposition; rarely offering constructive solutions to my posts. If you have a personal issue with me, we can continue this in PM's. But please, I actually want to continue to improve the forum instead of wasting time on a personal disagreement.
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby kwk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm fine with adequate.
Keith
kwk
Master of Kite

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:33 am

Surely we have more people willing to chime in than just these few?!

Another idea I had is to have a section just for beginners. People can introduce themselves and at least be welcomed to the community a little easier. Beginners can help each other progress and offer tips, and comment on their experiences. It's not that I don't want beginners commenting elsewhere, but it'd be nice for them to feel more comfortable asking questions where they're only going to get simple, straight-forward and friendly answers. Just a thought....
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum