South Padre Island TX Trip –Great Opp to Learn Kiteboarding!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

South Padre Island TX Trip –Great Opp to Learn Kiteboarding!

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:15 pm

...Join us for a T-Giving celebration kitesurfer Style!!

Last November's trip to SPI was such a hit with 9 days of wind, it's back by popular demand! This time we're headed down during T-Giving week and staying until Monday 12/2. If you are unfamiliar with this, one of the premier kiting spots in the US, well here...

Lake Michigan and the Chi area is an excellent place to kite... especially if you are an experienced kiter! Don't get me wrong, there is some great kiteboarding for beginners around here but our good, consistent winds are more prevalent in the Fall, followed up with a Spring season right after the big lake thaw. Especially in late Fall and early Spring, water temps can be frigid and waves can be HUGE & powerful. Strong winds and huge, clean, surfable waves are what many experienced riders drop everything & squeeze into a warm wetsuit for. But since beginners spend more time in the water rather than on it and there is so much to learn while you're sitting in that water, low temps can be a hindrance and the waves can be pummeling! But alas there is a solution... a fun one!!...... take a trip to a warmer place with clean, consistent winds and flat shallow waters! You might ask, does such a paradise exist?! Why yes it does I say!!! That place my friends exists on South Padre Island Texas! The autumn winds are known to be consistent there but the temps are much warmer than here and in the laguna, we have 7 miles of shallow water that you can stand up in!! This, my beginner buddies, provides the perfect conditions for focusing your time on learning kite control, safety, board starts & riding!

Now for the more experienced, SPI provides wave riding areas on the outside, downwinders or you can hang in the flats and hone that next trick or new technique. But there's more!!! ...we all have the opportunity to kick back & fraternize with peeps on the same wave! The greatest thing is, doing this off tourist season, accommodations will be more reasonable, especially if we share.

Check out an aerial of this sweet locale; http://www.southpadreislandkiteboarding.com/kitespots_photos.html

Those that have done trips with me know these are always a great way to get to know others in the scene, meet up with your buds whom you already know and possibly improve your kiteboarding while experiencing some of the most premier kiting spots in the world! It always seems those interested in kiting are on a similar wave so sharing experiences from kiting, to cooking together, to hanging out is always a blast!

For those learning to kite, most of the more experienced riders are always happy to offer tips and help. The camaraderie on these trips is ubiquitous!

For experienced kiters, as well as beginners who are up & riding... and if you aren't currently, SPI is THEE place to make that right of passage!!...

So here's the deal... along with coming together as a group for a complete "kiter" experience, we will be offering affordable kiteboarding lesson packages to further enhance this opportunity for those looking to learn or advance more quickly from the level you are now! All kiters are welcome to join whether you are coming down to learn or just coming down to enjoy a place with a reputation for reliable winds and warmer temperatures. I will be securing a nice big house with all the amenities. Some are flying and some are driving so there may also be opportunities to ride share. If you plan to fly, this might be a good time to use some of those miles!

Check out pix and comments of last year's trip...
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteboarding_messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11304&p=55135&hilit=+spi#p55135
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteboarding_messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11304&p=55396&hilit=+how+NOT+to+sound+cheesy#p55396

Please post here if you would like to join but also shoot me an email, at the address below, as that will be the most reliable way for me to get back quickly. If you are interested in lessons, please email me right away so we can get you situated.

Lookin' forward to having you join us!!

Mike
eus@3mekite.com
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Re: South Padre Island TX Trip –Great Opp to Learn Kiteboard

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:57 am

I've been on the most recent Tawas and OBX trip with Mike and there is truly something special about living with people whose only purpose for an entire week is to kite. For me at least, I really only get to meet up with kiters on rare occasions and when I do, it's usually on the beach. Conversations are brief and/or curtailed by the wind when it picks up. When you're sharing the stoke with others, pushing your limits, shooting the breeze (it's punny), and playing in some of the best conditions mother nature offers, you can't help but be in a state of ecstasy! This is an opportunity to live in that state of mind for a full week!

For newer kiters who want practice riding upwind, or if you're working on your first jumps, I try to stay on the water as long as the wind is blowing. I always keep an eye on anyone downwind and can offer tips, tricks, and encouragement. It should definitely be a confidence booster to know that someone is always watching your back in case something goes wrong, especially when you're progressing. It really can cut the learning curve down considerably.

I've made some amazing friends on these trips... and everyone is that much closer because we're all "wind" people and just get it. It sounds like there's still space left on this trip, and I can't recommend it enough if you have the time. We've all got gear already anyway, so we might as well use it. :D

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on this trip and I can't wait to be a part of the SPI Chi "Kite Krew" 8)

(Spoiler Alert: I'm going to be trying more unhooked tricks if you want to watch me flop and skip on the water A LOT. Schadenfreude!)
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Hey all

We're getting pretty excited to set out for warmer temps, steady & constant winds and all the flat water and/or waves we can handle!! If anyone wants to jump on board last minute for this T-Giving function in the Southern Texas junction, I still have 1 bunk left in this large, high-end house for $300. The Kite Kabin is pretty damed sweet with a killer, modern kitchen, excellent entertainment area, plenty of bedrooms, private pool and an outdoor shower & garden hose to rinse off the salt water after every day at the beach. It's also located closer to the Northern end of the island where all the Laguna action is.

Let me know right away if you'd like to jump in!

Mike
eus@ 3mekite.com
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby ironben » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 pm

I may be down for next year if you go again
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0