Heading South....

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Heading South....

Postby skysurfr » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:53 pm

A few days ago, I got the news that I was being transferred to Miami. By spring I'll be headed south and moving somewhere within an hour or so of the MIA airport.

I'll be passing the Montrose responsibilities to Paul, who's been onboard since the very beginning.

It's been a privilege and an honor to represent this great group of kiteboarders. Over the past 10+ years we have developed a kite community that is the best in the world.

When I started we had 2 beaches where windsurfing was allowed, Montrose and Rainbow. Today we have opened up the entire lakefront to multiple watersports including kitesurfing, windsurfing, kayaking, boogie boarding, surfing, and SUPing. None of this could have been done without your participation and support.

I hope to make it out for a session or two before I pack up.

If you see a guy with a streamer on his kite in Miami, that will be me. :-)

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: Heading South....

Postby adseguy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:58 am

You are leaving right in time for the winds to begin. Good wind to you and you future endeavors. Never be shy around here and thanks for everything you've done, Montrose has been become a source of life for me these last few years and I thank you for re-opening this along with others so that we all can re-enjoy it.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Ben » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 am

Good for you Mike. Congratulations on the move and wishing you only the best. As one of the first individuals to come up and speak with me when I was starting out your care and concern for the great lakes area kiting environment has always stuck with me. You truly are an enthusiast of the kiting community. Your time and dedication to keeping montrose open as well as opening many other beaches to watersports does not go unrecognized or appreciated. good winds to you.
7,9,12m Bandit V, Infinity V2, 135 xenon, 154 door
Ben
Pump Master

Postby FSP » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:07 pm

you will be back. you will miss us. yeah maybe it will be a kite size smaller and a touch warmer but we will for sure miss you, especially all the times we waited all day for wind at mc when it was WARM! Sending off a damn good dude!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:17 pm

I forgot to throw that since Urban is leaving, 2014 will be an EPIC year for wind. Just show up to a beach and you'll be able to kite. On a sadder note, Miami is suffering one of the worst wind droughts seen in decades.

Just sayin :wink: :lol:
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Rorke » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:44 am

Mike,

Legendary legacy left behind. What more could one want? You are the man.

Archer in Lauderdale isn't too far from MIA.

Dominate.

Rorke
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby Kevin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:07 am

Mike thanks for all your efforts around here to secure and maintain kite access.

Great to get to know you and ride with you, good to run into you in Maui last year (I'm going back again btw on Wednesday x 2 weeks).

Best of luck with everything, I'm sure I'll see you on the water again sometime soon.

Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words all!

I've been in contact with Archer and will be riding with him when I'm down there.

Adrien.... LoL!
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby kitekid21 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:52 pm

But Mike, I just got to know you! Sigh. I guess it'll have to be a while before I meet up with you again, unless you snowkite? I'm hoping to make an unreasonable amount of trips to Wisco to do it.
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby Fundy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:54 am

skysurfr wrote:A few days ago, I got the news that I was being transferred to Miami. By spring I'll be headed south and moving somewhere within an hour or so of the MIA airport.

I'll be passing the Montrose responsibilities to Paul, who's been onboard since the very beginning.

It's been a privilege and an honor to represent this great group of kiteboarders. Over the past 10+ years we have developed a kite community that is the best in the world.

When I started we had 2 beaches where windsurfing was allowed, Montrose and Rainbow. Today we have opened up the entire lakefront to multiple watersports including kitesurfing, windsurfing, kayaking, boogie boarding, surfing, and SUPing. None of this could have been done without your participation and support.

I hope to make it out for a session or two before I pack up.

If you see a guy with a streamer on his kite in Miami, that will be me. :-)

Mike

Hey Mike-

Congrats on the transfer. Who do you work for that allows you to transfer to S florida? I want to work there. :)
Fundy
Kiter Noob

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:13 am

Hey Mike,

Best of luck with the move and make sure to leave some wind behind. Ride hard and hope South Florida treats you like a rock star.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby tyedye » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks for all your hard work with Montrose. Enjoy the blissful downwinders down South!
Tyler
tyedye
Chop Wrestler

Postby Pier » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Mike,

we will certainly miss you...wait, are you saying that you are bringing your wind-canceling abilities down in Florida? Then no, we won't miss ya! :wink:

JK, I can't thank you enough for all of what you have done for the kite community in Chicago and I wish you all the best with your new adventure!

Good luck and please keep us posted with some hot pics on the beach since at least down there there is some good stuff to watch while waiting for the wind...

Cheers
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby IVO » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:08 pm

Mike,

wish you good luck and mad winds wherever you gonna go,your legacy here will live forever!

Mahalo
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 am

Sure as hell gonna miss having you here Mike, but I know you will make a "fly-by" once and a while...Miami will be lucky to have you in the fold! Give a "40" to Jarch for me...

Your commitment to the community has been so appreciated by all. The time you have spent, often with frustration, has paid big dividends for everyone who will ever pump up a kite on Lake Michigan. Hopefully there are those who will follow in your footsteps, and put the group ahead of the individual; I have always felt that your selfless objective view point is one of your strongest attributes.

Try to make it down to Matt's for the brewfest. Regardless, I would like to throw a gathering at my house whenever is convenient for you. We must get together and "shove you out the door" in style. If Palatine is too far-out for you, we could always meet at one of your local spots, and have everyone drive to you.. :)

Thanks again, and as always "safety first"!!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby Fundy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Hey Mike-

All this time I thought you were United. I'm a 1/2000 hire, MIA based. See you soon. Let me know if you need any info on locations, etc.
Fundy
Kiter Noob

Postby IVO » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Mike how does Florida treats you,wind,water?

Long and cold winter here..
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum