Maui Kite Beach Closed

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Maui Kite Beach Closed

Postby kitekid21 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:25 pm

For those of you planning trips to Hawaii...

"Mr Ed Underwood from DLNR-DOBOR just confirmed that they are moving forward and preparing to install three sets of buoys at Kanaha Beach. These buoys will designate the expanded zones that will exclude all vessels and watercraft. This includes; kites, canoes, windsurfers, surfers, SUP etc. The expanded zone includes about three thousand five hundred (3500) feet of shoreline that will become an exclusive swim zone. This represents an huge increase over the currently used areas. Now any vessel or craft that attempts to enter or cross these expanded zones will be subject to increased enforcement which includes; fines and possible confiscation of equipment. Mr Underwood also confirmed that this enforcement action is in direct response to the confrontations between the kiteboarders and the swimmers at Ka'a point. He also stated that there are currently no plans to update or amend the old rules, that are about to be enforced. The DLNR-DOBOR confirmed that they have already built the marker buoys and anchor systems, and plan to install them very soon. We anticipate that once these buoys are installed and the old zones are enforced, that it will become an extremely difficult task trying to reverse this process at a later time. Please don't let this catastrophic loss of access occur, everyone will be affected because all of the current users will be forced to crowd into a reduced area that is far smaller than the currently accessible area. This will create a domino effect of overlapping user groups that will be forced to move into each others areas. Every concerned person should take immediate action to contact the authorities and try to persuade them to defer the installment of these buoys until a reasonable and updated management plan can be reached."

....poop.

Sign the petition. If you can. This is one of the best Hawaii kite access spots. http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2382581
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Re: Maui Kite Beach Closed

Postby Kevin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:59 pm

So I'm in Maui now - crazy no wind stretch so haven't kited last few days. It's been hard to find out exactly what the deal is and who has been involved from the kitesurfing representative standpoint.

Again I still say it would be a good idea to form an organization around here, to be prepared and organized. We could model it after some others (i.e. I'm pretty sure the riders in Hood River have a strong one). Right now we are unofficially represented by a few leaders - with one of them unfortunately leaving town.

All it takes is one pissed off beachgoer - and I bet that in Maui they were not prepared to counter the DLNR battle (I could be wrong of course).

Another function of an organization would be to establish unofficial guidelines at every local beach (like we have at Montrose) - which would help self-policing.

Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Re: Maui Kite Beach Closed

Postby kitekid21 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Check out this map made by some locals. Clarifies things a bit.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zixswSSMs7II.kqGijll6F6Nw
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum