Wetsuits under jacket/ snow pants while at the ski mountain

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Wetsuits under jacket/ snow pants while at the ski mountain

Postby ponce » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:48 am

With all seriousness, this may sound like a goofy question but i'm very curious. As anyone ever worn or even considered wearing their wetsuit while at the ski hill or while snow kiting? I couldn't see it being a problem for the neoprene as long as you don't have anything sharp catching on to it. I want some serious feedback on this. I've been wearing it out shoveling underneath my jacket and snow pants, so i thought why not wear it to the hill!

Any insights?
ponce
Board Slinger

Re: Wetsuits under jacket/ snow pants while at the ski mount

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:21 pm

You'll probably sweat like a bandit and it might be hard to regulate your temps. However, you'll probably be really warm if you keep moving.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:54 pm

As Bob says, you will be warm but take this to consideration.....

While moving around during snowboarding / snowkiting your body creates body heat. When layering up you can take a layer off put it in your back pack and put it back on if needed.
On the hill or mountain: Nothing more then long underwear and my Snowboard pants. A thermal tank top, thermal long sleeve and a fleece shirt and my jacket. This has been my setup on the mountains for at least the last 10 years.

A wetsuit will make this a lot harder to do. Just my thought.

Also keep in mind when in a wetsuit, you'd probably start sweating a lot faster. You need to hydrate..... Wouldn't pee in the suit on the hill! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby FullThrottle49 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 am

The resitsance created by the wetsuit is gonna make you work a lot harder than you have to...... Your gonna get better warmth from a couple good layers and be alot more flexible. I would reccomend Rocky mountain long underwear from hunting section at walmart, Its really cheap and gets the job done, ive seen it as cheap as 5$ for there warmest stuff towards the end of the season.
FullThrottle49
Board Monkey

Postby Kevin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:12 am

I would think that might be a smart idea while snowkiting on a frozen lake.

Speaking of frozen lakes, I drove by Wolf today and that looks frozen solid. Can you snowkite there? Does anyone?
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby dbur » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 pm

I wore neoprene impact vest over thin base layer while snowkiting yesterday , felt really warm for the first couple hours and added some protection when crashing, however towards the end of the session it got little uncomfortable - especially when packing kites and then driving back home in the car was a torture as it was soaking wet from all the sweat so couldn't wait to take it off... full body suit would be a lot worse I imagine
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby xwindsurf » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:14 am

Two words: Smart Wool.
Unless you want to mix snow sports with a good dose of S&M
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak