Snow Kite Stance

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Snow Kite Stance

Postby adseguy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:04 pm

So I was snow kiting the other day and as usual my Quads (thigh muscles) were killing me again. It just takes about 20 seconds on one tack before it's on fire and I have to sit down. The pain is quicker to set in when I'm going in the direction my snowboard is stanced for. Goofy for me.

Should I be changing the stance to a duck and non biased like a kiteboard. Also, would reducing the lean my binding makes against the back on the boot help any? Just looking for suggestions and comments to help out. I see people going forever in one direction and wonder how they can go for so long.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Re: Snow Kite Stance

Postby kris » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Take off the back plates from your bindings it worked for me and I haven't gone back since I took them off 7 years ago. It made a world of difference for me. I would also center your bindings and set your self up "non biased". +\- 15' I think?

More of my opinion but here it goes anyways, don't crank your bindings down too tight. Keep em loose, but not overly lose of course. (Unless the wind is honkin or your trying the latest jensmadwind move, then you will want them snug)

With no back plates, looser bindings, centered on the board you will find your self more relaxed.

And keep an open spotted cow in a snow bank by your stuff. leave the other ones near by but within my reach.

All of the above is only my opinion....feel free to flame away!
--------------K-r-i-s----------------------------
kris
Boosticus Maximus

Postby chanson » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Duck stance helps... but mainly you will notice the difference with the type of board.

Regular snowboards(camber) you will notice more fatigue simply because you are fighting against the camber in the board and the sidecut. These boards are mainly meant to be ridden straight(downhill) so staying on edge the whole time causes fatigue.

Look into a "rockered" snowboard... When I made the switch I could notice less fatigue almost instantly. You can move your effective edge by shifting your weight back or forward as needed, and because the board is "rockered" you still have enough rail in the snow to stay upwind.

You could always go to snow-kite specific boards, but then there's price and another board into the mix.

I've been riding my Burton Hero for 3-4 years now.

-jake
chanson
Chop Wrestler

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:47 pm

I have never noticed fatigue riding my kite specific snowboard. I run a +/- 15 stance. The ABoards Reverse kite snowboard is wider than a downhill, has a thicker and more efficient edge and has rocker. I have one new 2012 model left at a nice deal if interested. Dmitry has one of these so I'm sure he'd be able to chime in...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Aboards-Reverse-Snowkiting-Snowboard-/250954099366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e07aaa6
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby noabacca » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:31 pm

I ride fields with an old beater Burton Air 6 sidecut o' plenty, with origanal factory bindings, no highbacks.
Very comfortable, I'm with Kris, losing the highbacks is the key.

I ride lakes with the Best Summit, being the Snowkite specific board with just a hint of sidecut, with the same
binding set up. Bought some old Burton bindings with the beefy molded heel and chucked the highbacks.

While the slim sidecut seams cooler, I don't think it makes any difference, other than edging
hard doesn't result in the board trying to carve upwind in a short distance.

The banana boards with reverse sidecut and reverse camber like what Chanson is talking about, like the 3B boards, are good if you are not edging on a hard
surface, and basically made to work well if you ride fully in Utah powder. Or at least that is what Andy Bolt has told me in the past.
http://www.shop.3bsnowboards.com/3B-Billy-Bordy-Pro-model-181-x-333-2014001.htm

Anyway, taking off your highbacks or getting some cheap used bindings that will work without highbacks
is a real cheap solution to getting rid of the burn from pressing your front leg calf back against the highback

Recall how you ride on water, front leg straight, leaned back, and the highback is not conducive of that stance.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12307&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Last edited by noabacca on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All the above content is just my opinion and definitely should not be acted upon. The words are not a recommendation to do anything regarding any subject. I cannot and shall not be held liable for the actions of others, in any matter.” ≈V
noabacca
Master of Kite

Postby adseguy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:35 pm

You guys rock. I'll try all suggestions above. I also think it was the backs that were causing the issue. It just put me in an awkard position.

Board got destroyed too. It's OK...it's the snow kite board and I'll just patch it up :)
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Return to Open Forum