Lightwind board

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Lightwind board

Postby adseguy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:32 pm

So my quest this year is to maximize my light wind days. A good long cruise along Chicago is more fun then just sitting around doing nothing, or worse yet, working. I'm contemplating setting up a good light wind board and I've come up with these options:

1.) Foil board - I've never been on one, but want to try one pretty bad. They are supposed to be faster then raceboards, but are they good for light wind too? I'd imagine since it has less drag and I can keep in contact with the water better as the pushing force is underwater. Thoughts?

2.) Raceboard - Any suggestions on one, or just anything with a very wide stance? Like the foil board the longer fins tend to use the pushing force of the kite more efficiently into forward movement.

3.) Light wind Twin tip - We've all seen them and used them, but I'm not a big fan. If I can gather enough speed, my 129cm will do the same and perform better.

4.) SUP - Haven't tried this, but I do have an inflatable I'm willing to try out.

Plenty of times There is enough wind to throw a kite up and goof around, but not enough to actually kite in. I'm trying to bridge that gap better. Just looking for thoughts. :)
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Re: Lightwind board

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Adrien,

What do you want to do in light winds? Just ride or do tricks, etc.?

Of all those options, I'd put them in this order, but your response may change the order.

1) For ultimate light wind, foil board is first, but the dollar investment is big and they have different foils for different ability and riders which also complicates the matter. Some foils are harder to ride, but super fast and efficient. Is the price worth it? Figure on at least a couple grand.

2) Lightwind TT. Easiest to do the most with this option if it's a good light wind board. Big, long and wide door boards are great in light winds, but are harder to control and ride aggressively with when the winds and chop pick up. The 148 Axis board is good for light winds, but will give a little back on low end for better performance. For your size, the 142 would probably be better. You can try them in OBX.

3) Race board. Too specialized in my opinion and unless you want to race, I would stay away. They rip upwind as do the Foils, but are much harder to ride downwind. If you have some dough to burn, this might be a fun option, but the boards are to be ridden flat due to the fins. It's all about the fins...hence the reason race boards are wide. Wide boards provide leverage keep the board flat. There are some hybrids that might fit the bill, but all of these style boards will get overpowered in winds over 15+ or so.

4) SUP? No...maybe fun to try a few times since you have one, but actual riding will bore you. I know you too well.

You know...it might be fun to explore all these options while in OBX this spring. Great question.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby adseguy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:10 am

Let's all hope we DON'T get a chance to try these out in OBX haha. Nuclear style wind is just fine with me.

Great questions back. I know that all I'll be doing is mowing the lawn, but I'm OK with that. It's just about getting out there and getting some tacks in and maybe enjoy the lake front. I would never travel 3+ hours to get to a beach and look forward to doing this if you see what I'm saying here. Cost is large, but if I can squeeze in 15 more rides during the summer months with one of these options maybe I'd dive in and try it. I went to the south of France last summer and it was blowing 10-12knots and every person was on a foil. The speed and smooth glide was very impressive. There is no way I would have gotten anywhere on the setups I have now and they were cruising.....at a good speed too.

Anyone have a foil board or know where you can demo one? I can just see a demo slam into the sanddy bottom. BAM! $2k destroyed.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:20 pm

I agree that strong winds would trump everything.

I've done a lot of research through the years on foils, but haven't pulled the plug due to the lack of interest, high cost and logistics of having a long, expensive foil flying through the water. The foil, like long race board fins, need clean, clear water. Weeds will play havoc with the fins and foils. I used to ride windsurf boards with high performance dagger fins and any weed would create turbulence on the fin. Same thing will happen with foils unless it's a weed free body of water. I would hate to hit shallow water while flying on one, but at least we have sand here and no reefs.

There seems to be a huge foil market overseas and we might be late to the game. I'll have one by spring, but also want to make sure it's the right foil from the right brand.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:23 am

heres mine: 12 to 13knts in the ocean:

FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby chanson » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Don't forget the skim. Used to be very popular for lightwind riding.
I can get out in very marginal winds with my 12m and skim. www.losethestraps.com has tons of board recommendations.

Foil-board: crazy efficient in light winds, but like Bob said they are pricey. I have the MHL Custom Lift. Available for demo anytime I'm out... mostly in Madison-area.
Bob - I know the owners personally and could get more info for ya if needed, but feel free to try mine anytime you want!

Once the ice thaws I'll keep a post going on when/where I'll demo the LIFT.

Learning curve is a little daunting, but once you get the hang of it, they are tons of fun!

Cheers!
-jake
chanson
Chop Wrestler

Postby adseguy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 pm

Jake, I look forward to that. I'll make the trip out from downtown if I see a post. I've been reading a lot about foils. I think it would be fun to tinker around with even if it takes a few hours to get used to. It's just a totally different experience from surf/twin tip from what it looks like.

Since the knees need to stay a slightly bent at all times and the lean on the kite isn't as great, does this cause leg cramps or do you get tired quicker then a regular Surf/TT?
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby noabacca » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:52 am

I keep a 58" skimboard in the car for "fakey" wind days, or days when I arrive too late, which seams like most of the time.

Quite a few times last year, things looked good, wind seamed good, whitecaps were rolling, and within a ten minutes
of putting the kite up, the wind dropped.

Fakey artifact waves still rolling in, and I needed a big flat board to make up for the lack of power.

It sucked, and it happened a lot, and a gypsy curse is most likely the cause.

My go to set up for kickin' to dying wind riding.

Whatever kite is up and powered to start
start with 122sx, move to Exile 135X48cm, move to Triple X 58"
Usually I'm on my biggest kite to start, cause it is after 4pm.

links

https://triplexsurfskim.quivers.com/p/1734

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xtriple+x+skimboard&_nkw=triple+x+skimboard&_sacat=0&_from=R40
“All the above content is West's opinion and definitely should not be acted upon. The words are not a recommendation to do anything regarding any subject. West cannot and shall not be held liable for the actions of others, in any matter.” ≈V
noabacca
Master of Kite

Postby Kevin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:35 am

I've seen those raceboards and foil boards in my travels. It scares me to think about the long dagger fins on the raceboards and the large "sword" that makes up the foil, slicing through some of our crowded beaches. If anyone decides to try these out just be super careful.
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum