New kiter, Need gear advice

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

New kiter, Need gear advice

Postby austin_schaumburg » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:31 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a new kiter, I live in Shaumburg and just took my lessons in San Diego, it was great and I got up on the board a few times. I now want to really get into to this sport and buy my gear. During my lessons i flew a couple of brands, I think North and F-One but really could not tell the difference.

Anyways, I want to buy a complete sytem and would like to get everyones advice as to kites, boards,prices. I am 5'10" and weigh about 175lbs.

I just visited another website chicagokiteboarder.com and came across stuff theyare selling there.

Here are the links, pls.let me know if they are anygood, should I just get the package with the board or should I get the package with the three kites and purhcase a seperate board.

http://www.chicagokiteboarder.com/equipment/package/ultimate.htm

http://www.chicagokiteboarder.com/equipment/package/ultimatequivers.htm

Why are these kites cheaper then the other brands?
Does anyone here fly (Best) kites that. Are they any good.

Thanks all

Sincerely,
Austin
austin_schaumburg
Kiter Noob

Postby V » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:49 am

Lots of rumors have gone around on this. I think the consensus is that Best bought some older kite designs - so there is no R&D cost. They also use cheaper materials so they don't hold up as well. but some guys ride them and are happy with them. The Yarga mostly. I think the Nemesis has gotten some negative comments about its stability, but maybe someone else could chime in here.

Basically, if you're looking for new kites, they are cheap and affordable, and work well. You won't know the difference between kites and designs anyway, so...

However, I have also heard comments about pricing best kites with all the options you would need. Once you add in the cost of bar/lines/loop/harness/etc/etc it may wind up being almost the same cost. Check kitesite.net realkiteboarding.com and the other sites. Check with Steve at Mac Kites (Grand Haven) and Bob at Kiteriders in Madison as well (bob posts as bob on this site)

At 175lbs, a 12-16-20m three-kite quiver would work well for you.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby austin_schaumburg » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:03 am

Thanks V, i will also do a little more research on the web for any complaints or recommendations, i am on a pretty tight budget.

this forum is really great!

Austin
austin_schaumburg
Kiter Noob

Postby V » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:16 am

Austin, STF and West both ride Best kites. There's a few others, but I don't know their handles on this forum. So you could send an email or PM those guys directly.

Also check out kiteforum.com, but usually that's nothing but a bunch of kite reps posing as regular posters hyping and trashing other kite brands. Its a good idea to just talk to some owners of the kites you know, and definitely talk to "Bob" at kiteriders, Steve at Mackinaw Kites and "Misfit" who works at Real Kiteboarding for the summers.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby V » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:21 am

Oh, forgot to mention, I do think that most people, including most people that ride best kites, think the best accessories (bar/harness/etc) suck. so check into that too. I think people usually stick with the kites, and use their old bars and stuff with the kites. So if you're buying all new, price it out and view your options....

and then get out there and rip it up!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby rhumbaflappy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:11 pm

Yeah, as a beginner its going to take you a year or two to figure out what's good, for you. Everyone likes to do different things: cruise, jump, wakestyle, downwinders, surf, blah blah blah

Get some kites you can afford and then hit it
R/F
rhumbaflappy
Resident Windfreak

Postby Javi » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:23 pm

I think you are on the right track. To tell you the truth I have tried an extremely lot of kites and all kites in general are promising. Kites from 2003 on from all companies have been optimized to fly very good even though the quality and prices may vary. In my opinion focus on prices and technical aspects. As a learner try to stick to medium aspect kites which have an easier relaunch and if you were able to stand fast a medium sized board(depends on the wind conditions where you will be riding). Also all the new 5th lines systems are not bad for a beginner. The fifth line help in relaunch and will work as a leash that kills the kite and prevents you from getting dragged and the lines generally don't get tangled. In terms of pricing, yes Best is cheaper in general but why don't you look for some used kites. It will help you on the budget. I know a few guys here around Madison that have used equipment if interested. Even I might have something available. If you want my opinion, I like Cabrihna and Wipika but who knows what you might like. At the beginning you might be changing kites and boards as you progress but that is just like any other sport.

Hope that help's if you still have not bought anything. If you got your gear, RIPI IT UP!! and have fun.
Tips: try kiting in PR and let me know if you're going. Need tips or equipment, let me know.
Javi
Chop Wrestler

Return to Open Forum