Naish 06 Raven Review

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Naish 06 Raven Review

Postby V » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:50 am

Flew Bidawid's 14m Raven for about 30-40 minutes Sunday at Little Point Sable, Michigan:

Kite - responsive. Med to light bar pressure. Fast turning, smooth and had a good "feel". I knew where the kite was all the time and it just felt good when I was doing rotations. The kite steered exactly where I wanted which was pleasantly surprising for a kite I was unfamiliar with. Low end and high end power were there.

Bar - soft feel. A bit loose for me, but admittedly I wasn't used to it. Overall it was good, except I think the 5th line might have tangling problems and it ran through the trim rope hole which to me would seem to wear the line out and fray/break it from sand and friction. Not sure about that though.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby D_Clark » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:44 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the 5th line wearing as it passes through the bar. Tangles aren't an issue unless you do a bunch (30+) spins in one direction and not the other. Just remember to unspin the center line when laying out your lines.

We have a pair of shift bars and have log a lot of time on the water so far this year. No noticable wear has occured on the shift line and the chicken loop line is only very slightly frayed. This is after 50 hours on the water, possible much more as I don't keep track of all my sessions. It would be very easy and cheap to replace this rope if needed. The line is 1,000 lbs spectra and the leash only pulls about 10-20lbs of force once deployed.

Did you like the Raven? I wanted to try it at the texas kite rodeo, but I kicked my own ass riding the new rhino05 and was done riding for the weekend.

- DC
D_Clark
Pump Master

Postby V » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:47 am

Yeah, I liked the kite a lot. I thought it performed really well, and it had good low end pull but jumped well, too. It was a nice balance of kite with a good feel overall. Just by luck Joe was there with one and he was telling me about them before I got the new Slingys and happened to have one on the beach so I got on it immediately.
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum