Questions from a beginner

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Questions from a beginner

Postby Germwise » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:27 pm

Well guys let me tell a little about myself first.

I am 21 years old, a bit on the short side at 5'8" but well built. I run (so I've built up stamina and I work out with free weights so I have a fairly strong upper body. I weigh around 150lbs but again well built, no belly.

I've just recently graduated college and I'm taking a year off and heading to Nice France for some R & R and a bit of studying down there. I was really hoping to be able to surf but Nice just doesn't have the waves for it. I started investigating Kitesurfing and I am FASCINATED. I've read through all of the tutorials and I am looking to get some lessons sometime next week.

Here are my questions.

First do you guys think it will be possible for me to kitesurf in Nice? I was there Last summer and remember there being few waves but significant wind speeds.

Second i am slowly starting to make sense of the equipment. Its a lot to take in. On the one hand I see starter kits selling as packages but I have never been one to buy something that I would outgrow. If i've already had lessons (it seems they are very complete around 1 week) do I need to start with a small trainer kite?

I see there are various kite sizes which one will I need at my size if I want to be able to use it for a long time without outgrowing it? I rather be frustrated the first few times I try it then manage a smaller kite easier and quickly have to trade it in.

What about boards? does it really matter what kind? Balsa, foam etc pls give me your opinions on which one I should get (remember I am 5'8" 150lbs.)

Finally I am at a loss of where I should buy it. I am currently in Buenos Aires Argentina for another month visiting some family before I return to the states for a couple weeks and then head to Nice. Should I buy my equipment in the US? through a store or ebay or... Should I buy it in Argentina where I could probably get a lower price but with my little experience could get taken for a ride..

I've considered buying in Nice but I fear that the euro being so strong and things being ridiculously expensive down there anyway I will end up paying more there than anywhere else.

Anyway I guess what I am looking for is someone to basically show me the ropes of equipment etc. I'lll keep looking throught the site. Thanks to everyone for the awesome site!

--Marcelo
Germwise

followup

Postby Germwise » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:00 am

I did a bit more investigating. The average windspeed in Nice varies from 8mph to 12 max avg during the year.

Am I correct in assuming I should get a fuel 19M kite or similar 21meter wingspan kite?

I'm still working on info on the boards but i'll get on it.
Germwise

Postby V » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:05 am

Marcelo, at 150lbs you might want a 16m-18m kite for the light winds. Are there any others in Nice kitesurfing? if there are you can ask them. I would maybe wait a month until you get there to ask some locals before you buy equipment.

In terms of a board, a starter board would be something wide and medium length like a 145cm by 40cm board. That would get you planing quick and riding. Material for now doesn't matter. You wouldn't know the difference for 6-12 months anyway. Go for something you can afford.

Getting a trainer kite will certainly help you learn kite control which will help you before you get in the water. Once in the water, if you have better kite control you will crash the kite less which means you will ride more. Good luck man!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Germwise » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:32 pm

Ok I've visited the real site and they are having an amazing sale on their used kites. I'm still going to hold off a bit until I've physcally spoken to my instructor but I have one more question.

What is the difference between a kite only and Complete? the control bar? Maybe I'm crazy but I'm looking at an aluminum rod with wire tied to it covered saying AMAZING DEAL only 229...... I almost want go to home depot and cut me a piece of copper piping.

Also what makes a board complete? is it the foot straps or does buying a complete board make the kite complete as well? and last thing I saw that there are different stiles of boards, single direction, bidirectional, double tip and one more. Which would you guys recommend that would last me a while?

Thanks for all the help guys.

--Marcelo
Germwise

Postby V » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:35 am

What is the difference between a kite only and Complete? the control bar? Maybe I'm crazy but I'm looking at an aluminum rod with wire tied to it covered saying AMAZING DEAL only 229...... I almost want go to home depot and cut me a piece of copper piping.

Most bars are carbon fiber. Not sure what you're looking at but if its an aluminum pipe it aint worth 229! Kite complete includes bar, lines, chicken loop.

Also what makes a board complete? is it the foot straps or does buying a complete board make the kite complete as well? and last thing I saw that there are different stiles of boards, single direction, bidirectional, double tip and one more. Which would you guys recommend that would last me a while?

Fins, straps, pads, handle... Most people ride twin tips (bi directional) boards.
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum