Kite acting strange in higher wind

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Kite acting strange in higher wind

Postby lilguyp » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:11 pm

My buddy and I are fairly new to kiteboarding - we took lessons with Broneah up in T.C. in June and have been hitting Waukegan and Miller. We were at Waukegan last night for a few hours (we were the only two on the entire beach) and were very excited to get our 12m kite up. We'd been flying and body dragging/board starting in 10 to 12mph in our past sessions and last night the wind was stronger - around 15mph. For some reason our kite was not that powered - we checked line lengths and made sure when the kite was up the ends looks parallel and not flared. We had trouble keeping it in the air and also had trouble launching. It even seemed our wind window was much narrower (not possible - but it seemed it) I'd dive the kite and pop up on the board and when I'd send the kite back on it's way up, I had no power - only on my down strokes - it was damn frustrating. What's puzzling is that we'd been out several times in the past few weeks with lighter winds and had better performance - any pointers?

Thanks,
Guy
lilguyp
Wind Chaser

Postby V » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:02 pm

15mph yesterday? Looking at the wind readings it looks like it was only about 12mph. So I think you would be underpowered.

What do you weigh?

A 12m kite for me at 180lbs is good from 20mph up to about 27mph.

What size board?

If the kite isn't flared, maybe it is too depowered. Try letting the chicken rope out so the front lines are a bit longer, was this let out?
V
Unstrapped!

Postby lilguyp » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:13 pm

I am also 180lbs. My board is a 147. I know I've got to build a kite quiver -the 12m is what I've got right now. I wouldn't have posted this question if I hadn't felt more power out of my kite on days when there was lighter winds. I don't know if my chicken rope was out - I'm still learning all the terminolgy. What size big kite would you recommend for me?

Thanks V

Guy
lilguyp
Wind Chaser

Postby V » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:18 pm

I use a 20m a 16m and a 12m, and might get a 9m for those occasional ballistic days that I would not recommend a beginner learning in. The 12m is a good kite to learn with since as you get better and get a bigger kite, the 12m will be a good high wind kite for you from 20-25mph.

The chicken rope or "trim strap" is the adjuster on the middle lines that you can reach up and shorten or lengthen. That sounds like it might be the reason your kite had less power that day. Maybe you mistakenly left it short? If you got more power out of the kite and set everything else up equally (attached the lines on the same knots on the kite), then it has to be the chicken loop strap adjustment. If you're at the king of the air, I can take a look at the kite. I'll be there all 4 days.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby lilguyp » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:14 pm

V, I was use to different terminology - I did have the strap pulled all the way out. I do plan on going to the King of the Air and will try to locate you. Thanks for your offer! One more question, as a fairly new kiteboarder, should I be looking into an 18m to 20m kite? I know I need a big kite but it seems pretty intimidating at this stage - I feel very comfortable with the 12m - I'm sure I'd get the feel for the big kite once I bought it :shock:

Thanks,
Guy
lilguyp
Wind Chaser

Postby V » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:32 am

A 20m kite would be good for you from 11-15mph. A 16m would be good from about 14-20. A 12m is good at a wind range of about 20-28ish. But the board affects things as well. A bigger board means the winds can be lighter, and in higher winds the board is hard to control. That's why a lot of riders here have two boards. One for lighter wind and one for higher winds.

Right now I have a 120cm and a 136cm but could use a 145cm for lighter wind days I think.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby lilguyp » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:07 am

V - do you sell kites? Right now I've got what I think is a great deal from the shop I bought my 12m kite from. They want to sell me a Liquid Force 17m Spectrum II (kite only) and throw in a used 20m Naish Aero II for free all for $1,000 (they wanted $250 for the Naish but will cut me this deal) Do you have any thoughts on those kites and that deal? Are there any other places out there that I should be contacting that will cut deals. I'm pretty loyal to the guys I've bought from but don't know if there are others that deal.

Guy
lilguyp
Wind Chaser

Postby V » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:12 am

I used to but not anymore. Chicago Kitesurfing has stopped selling gear. That's a pretty good price for two kites, but I'm not sure what year those kites are or the condition. I would check with Real Kiteboarding in Hatteras. They are always a pleasure to deal with. Also, check with the local guys to see if they have any used gear:

Kiteriders
Bob Cook
email: rcookbob "at" aol.com

MacKite
Steve Negen
email: steve@mackite.com

I have bought from both recently and they are great guys.
V
Unstrapped!

120 board

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:05 pm

V

can you tell me more about your smaller board. what conditions you use it in, wind speed, kite size, etc. I'd be tempted to get one if I kited more in salt water.

anyways, looking for a smaller board b'c it would be fun but can now see why high 130 is good for our area.

Postby V » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:58 am

Scott, its an old 2001 or maybe 2002 Slingshot Zepplin. Its a bit slow, but when you remove the extra two fins, it starts to move well. Edges hard and is pretty light and forgiving. Its narrow and long for its size (136cm x 34cm?) and needs a lot of wind for my weight. I will be replacing both my 120 and 136 with two new boards though so will ride these another 4-5 weeks or so. Just want to get on new stuff.

V
Unstrapped!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:15 pm

what are you thinking for the two new boards. I'd love to get on a jaime pro, just picking it up and standing on it in a shop it felt sweet. anyways, any ideas yet??

Postby V » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:27 am

My first board will be a zero gravity 137cm that is still a prototype design. I am receiving the first two from the shop. They were finished Saturday and are supposed to be shipped to me today for Thursday delivery. I'll have em at the King of the Air. Since Peter Nordby's passing, the 0G guys have totally reworked everything except for some signature lines inspired by Pete's early boards. The new boards are sweet. The 130cm will probably be my higher wind board witht eh 137cm being everyday board. They have a 110, 120, 130 and 137. Core and layup materials are exclusive to 0G and their shop is USA in Texas. These boards are tough too. GOing to be sweet. I can't wait to get one! Here's a couple pics:

Here's West on a 130 in Kosh in May:

Here's Damien Leroy with his 130 more close up where you can see the profile, the 137 will have more edge at the tips though:
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:02 pm

sounds cool...the foot pads look exceptionally comfortable.

Postby V » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:09 am

Those are Caution pads. I'm putting NSI pads on mine. West has the LiquidForce gel pads, but some people love em and with others the gel pads hurt their feet for some reason.
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum