Self launching in tight spaces ?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Self launching in tight spaces ?

Postby Germwise » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:04 pm

So I'm back home!

I really want to keep practicing kitesurfing before going off to Nice and I found a GREAT lake about 10 blocks from my house. It has pretty good wind, there are sometimes jet skis and a bit farter to the other side small sail boats.

The only problem is unless I find the small soccer field next to the lake empty, I will have VERY small place to launch my kite. How do you guys deal with this? Also there is a good chance I'll be alone. How can I launch my kite? I'm thinking of throwing my kite into the lake LE down and letting it drift with air or current and then use my recon to launch.

BTW I have a 12m Cabrinha CO2 w recon.

--Marcelo
Germwise

Postby skysurfr » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:21 pm

That water re-launch technique isn't a bad idea. Be careful not to let the lines snag, get knotted, or otherwise fouled up when you release the kite. If your lines foul up and the kie can not depower, you'll have your hands full. Make sure you can land it too. It doesn't sound like a very good spot to me.

As a reminder.... never kite alone.

Going to Nice France? There's some kiteboarding in Italy just over the border I think.

The Cote d' Azur beaches may allow it during the fall and winter as well.

Mike
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Misfit » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:24 pm

kiting alone at a sketchy launch is a recipe for disaster. If you insist on going to this place at least take a friend.
Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Location: Sitting in front of my computer nerding out and i've got 6.80% of the total posts to prove it ;)

Return to Open Forum