New guy, and of course, questions...

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

New guy, and of course, questions...

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:56 am

first, let me say that it's good to see such an active local website for the sport. i primarily race bicycles (mountain and road) and we have similar sites for the same purposes you use this site (and others ) for.

i'm in richmond, va and very new to the sport. my wife and i are headed to maui for our annual vacation and i've registered for lessons with ksmaui.com.

i've been flying trainer kites for the past year and i'm pretty comfortable with them. comfrotable enough to buy my first inflatable. last week i got a great deal on a closeout 10m cabrinha co2. i read the manuals as well as any info i could find on the web, played around with the controls, rigged it in the yard. then, this weekend, took it to the beach for it's maiden voyage (land flight) to get a feel of what its like. i was surprised at how controllable and smooth the power was - compared to my 3.6 foil - and was satisfied that i would be able to move to the water with proper instruction.

anyway, to get to my questions... i bought a seat harness earlier this year to use with the trainer to help transition further into the sport. now, is there distinct benefits to using either a seat harness, waist harness, or impact vest? i'm guessing an impact vest would provide newbies extra flotation and protection while learning. correct? what about the differences between seat harnesses and waist harnesses?

and last question, i've looked all over the web (and this site) for comparisons between kite specific boards and wake boards. i already wakeboard and have a 145. i'm wondering if it will work to start with. i can't even remember what kind it is... it's a few years old. if a wakeboard will work, are there certain designs with certain features and specifications that are more suited to kitesurfing??

i was hoping to get personal feedback based on experience, as i've read just about all the info out there on these topics.

thanks in advance for any help.

uh, i guess i wasn't logged in.

Postby sperry » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:58 am

...that was me above.
sperry
Kiter Noob

Postby V » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:48 pm

You can use it, but it will be a bit different since wakeboards are designed with different rocker. They aren't as efficient as kiteboards since a boat can pull you as hard or soft as you want.

Seat harness will be a bit lower in terms of cetner of gravity. Waist harnesses are generally more popular but they ride up on you, even if youhave one that supposedly "fits". They both work fine. You're too new to know any subtle differences anyway so just go out and ride and don't worry about it.

A vest will help keep you from swallowing as much water. Highly recommended for newbies. Get one for the $25 at Sams Club or Costco. They are cheap and add a safety factor for you.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby sperry » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:56 pm

awesome. just what i was looking for.

ah, the board logic makes sense. ugh, now the task of finding one that doesn't cost a friggin' mint. anybody have a used board for sale that would be good for a beginner? i'll be in chicago most of the week this week on business.

yeah, i've read and heard that the waist harnesses can ride up on you. which is why i bought the seat to begin with. i just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be certain habits or techniques i would be developing using a seat opposed to a waist that might prove to be 'bad habits' or something.

thanks for the advice.
sperry
Kiter Noob

Postby Trent Hink » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:35 pm

Hi Sperry,

I make kiteboards in Milwaukee, WI. I don't have any good used beginner boards right now but you can get one of my vacuum laminated wood boards new for $330 including all the accessories.

pictures of a few of the boards I've made:
http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/vi ... me=albup46

Trent Hink
Trent Hink
Wind Chaser

Postby V » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:04 pm

sperry, Trent's boards ride nice and for the price its a good deal, imo.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Misfit » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:07 am

2nd that about trent's boards.
cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Location: Sitting in front of my computer nerding out and i've got 6.80% of the total posts to prove it ;)

Postby sperry » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:50 am

aaah, just last night i won an auction for a used board. shoulda checked back here sooner.

thanks for the info Trent, nice looking boards... i'm impressed. and intrigued.

so, just how do you build your own boards??? it sounds like a unique skillset. is it similar to shaping surf boards? so, you just build these in your garage?
sperry
Kiter Noob

Postby rhumbaflappy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:37 pm

sperry, im curious. what kind of board? length? width? Quit holding out.
R/F
rhumbaflappy
Resident Windfreak

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:40 am

ha, sorry about that.

i snapped up a slingshot drake 138 x 38 on ebay for 225.01. btw... the .01 was just enough to take it.

i went with something that wasn't too beginner and not too advanced. i figured the learning curve wasn't going to be too, too steep as far as the board goes. not that i'm expecting to be carving it up right away, but i think that all of my board sports will carry over and help me get up and running pretty quickly.

well anyway, i'm in chicago for work and i took to the streets last night and checked out michigan ave and millinium park and the luxor cafe. i know, all tourist stuff - my first time - i think i'm going to try and make it to the water this evening when meetings are over. anybody have suggestions as to where to go?

Return to Open Forum