texas riding

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

texas riding

Postby klatt » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:38 pm

Besides Corpus and Padre, does anyone know of other places to ride along the Texas Gulf coast? Maybe spots to ride while driving along the Gulf coast?
klatt
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:08 pm

along with that...does anyone know quite a bit about corpus or padre. I'm moving in february and thinking of heading down that way.

if anyone knows of any good bars/restaurants to work at that would also be helpful. thanks.

ps...V-is there any chance of miller happening this weekend...what's your take on the forecast

Postby jarch » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:05 am

Are you saying goodbye to "the man" and living a lifestyle of freedom?

I think Miller may happen. The past couple times I have been there on NW forecasts of 15 plus it hasn't though. The Michigan crew is going to hit South Haven all day on Saturday. I am thinking of heading over there. It's two hours from Chicago and supposedly gets incredible waves on a NW. Forecast over there looks stronger.
jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Postby nicole » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:10 am

Droppin out of life! whoohoo! high five!

i dont know of any secret spots in TX, but i bet the people here do www.prokitesurf.com

as for bars, i remember there was one kind of cool one in downtown Corpus. i think it was called the executive surf club. it had a big outdoor patio w/ live music. there are some really bad bars there too, my sister and i went to one that was like spring break gone wrong. very wrong. i think you only had to be 18 to get in. actually, maybe you like that
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby V » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:59 am

Scott, Sorry but we usually grill out at Zero Gravity and drink beers at their place. The bar scene in Corpus would be more a down town thing, but I don't think the kiters really do that since they are local. Its more a beer and buds thing, know what I mean?

I think the kiting in Corpus is probably one the best in the states. Wind is better then padre, on average. Padre is good to of course but I think that's a tourist dependent town. Corpus does have industry. Hatteras, I heard has nothing for a fun-scene. But Misfit would know for sure.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby jkjaeschke » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:47 am

Hey,

I'm graduating college in December an plan to "drop out" for a little bit. If you had a choice to go wherever for about a month or so around Jan. of Feb. where would you go?

\m/
jkjaeschke
Resident Windfreak

Postby nicole » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:04 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhh. . .i wish i could drop out for awhile. have you been reading my diary?

i guess it depends on how far you want to go. if you want to stay in the continental US, then I'd go to either south padre or anywhere in FL. if you want to go farther, then next on my list would be hawaii.

there's a thread on kiteforum that has a list of the best windy destinations month by month

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=83

nicole
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:23 pm

V

it's no problem. I guess that just means that I'll have to make some friends and not work, ever!. hahaha...wouldn't that be nice. anyways, you've successfully made me cry

Postby Misfit » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:40 pm

Jan - go to either maui or cozumel
Feb - cozumel or egypt

As far as hatteras goes in the winter.... Too cold. Hatteras does have a lot of fun spots but absolutly no bars on the island (no fast food either :D ). If you want bars you have to drive to Kitty Hawk. The best thing to do is meet some locals and find out what's going on. One benefit to Hatteras over Texas is the Atlantic ocean. If there is no wind at least you can surf. If there is wind you can kitesurf big ass waves :D :D :D :D :D
Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby jarch » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:06 pm

Scott...doesn't matter where you go. You have freedom from the man. Just make sure you post where you are headed so we can all visit.
jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Postby skysurfr » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:54 pm

Pffft... Texas?

If you want to drop out head for Vietnam. You can get a job there teaching kiteboarding if your certified. Thailand is a cool place to hang out. Perhaps Brasil?

On the other hand, going to Capetown in South Africa is also a possibility.

Farther out? Try the Cape Verde Islands... Isla del Sol has nice winds.

If your gonna drop.... DROP!

LOL

Mike

There are Corpus/PAdre/Vietnam/Thailand Reports around here somewhere. I know they are on learntokite.com as well.
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby V » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:48 pm

If you want to drop out head for Vietnam. You can get a job there teaching kiteboarding if your certified. Thailand is a cool place to hang out. Perhaps Brasil?

Not sure if he's certified, but I'm sure he can still kite, and live under his kite when he's not using it!
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum