New in town... Starving for a session.

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

New in town... Starving for a session.

Postby AL » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:09 am

My name is Al. Just moved to Chicago from the west coast and was looking to link up with some people who are doing some local kiting (within an hour drive of the city?... ). Starving for a session here, especially while we still have this killer weather! Thanks...
AL
Sand Bagger

Postby V » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:13 am

There's supposed to be wind starting tomorrow up to the weekend. Depending on arrangements with work, tomorrow looks like the only day for me that's possible. Since its going SW, which is offshore in IL, I would most likely go to Kosh, which necessitates the ability to stay upwind. What's your skill level?

Thursday and Friday don't work. Welcome to the forum and we'll meet up soon!

WEDNESDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST AROUND NOON...THEN SOUTH AT 15 TO 20 KNOTS BY EVENING. MOSTLY SUNNY. WAVES BUILDING TO 2 TO 4 FEET.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 KNOTS. MOSTLY CLEAR. WAVES BUILDING TO 3 TO 5 FEET. A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY MAY BE NEEDED.
V
Unstrapped!

Kosh.

Postby AL » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:34 am

V -

Thanks a lot for the info. I've been kiting for about 3 years now... able to stay up wind just fine. You're not going to see me in the pages of any kiteboarding magazines "pulling mad air", but I should be able to hold my own... I'm a starving student right now... have class Wed morning, but the afternoon might work... If you can make it out that'd be great!... If not, how do I get to Kosh?!
AL
Sand Bagger

Postby rhumbaflappy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:54 am

V has done a very good job with directions to many of the common spots:

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/ridinglocations.html

They are all listed there. You can get to the home page by clicking the cks logo at the top left of the page to get any of the other pages from this forum.
R/F
rhumbaflappy
Resident Windfreak

Postby AL » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:55 pm

Thanks fellas... And, if either of you can make it out tomorrow, defintely let me know. It'd be great to have some company up there. I'll keep an eye on the weather, but looks like I want the north launch site for S-SW winds...? Any idea how long of a drive that is from Chicago?
AL
Sand Bagger

Postby kris » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:40 pm

fyi

If you launch from Norms bar, be with others. I don't think they mind us launching from there but i get the impression it is not a "public" launch. And if you do go visit the bar after words and have a drink...good PR.

The other launch on the north side has been weeded so there are a lot less line snags. (my hands tingled for three days from the itch weed)
kris
Boosticus Maximus

Postby V » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:59 pm

klimber we rode there Saturday at the north launch. No weeds, great conditions. Norms is not a launch unless S/SE winds are prevalent. For that, we just hit the big lake.

AL, its about 100 mins from the city. For you, it might be easier to go to Weko, or St. Joe, or South Haven.

Right now not sure about tomorrow. I want to go, but will have to reschedule a meeting if I do. Will let you know by tomorrow AM.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby kris » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:08 pm

no weeds in the water for sure. I was talking about all the itch weed/carpeting on land. last time i was there a couple of weeks ago the wind was not as expected so i decided to do some gardening before i took off
kris
Boosticus Maximus

Postby AL » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:17 pm

V -

Cool.

Yeah, I checked it out on tripquest and it looks like it's a bit longer of a roadtrip than I was looking for on a weekday. I might try somewhere a bit closer... maybe north on Lake Michigan. I have some family up north in Wilmette and there's a pretty sweet beach up there to self-launch if the winds are right (S wind maybe, if not too gusty - I'm new to this big a-- freshwater ocean you guys have yourselves!). I might check that out or some of the other spots you recommend since the drive times are a bit better. I could do Kosh on a weekend though. Definitely stay in touch. I'm afwahlig@yahoo.com... Take it easy...
AL
Sand Bagger

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:22 pm

AL, SSW or S works at Waukegan. SW gets gusty though and down wind gets hard to get back to shore upwind, so think about that too if it blows S more than W.

Postby STF » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:38 pm

AL

Nice welcome dude!!!!

Let me know before you hit up the beaches in Wilmette

i m from there and we got some stashes were we launch from
ill fill you in

just let me know when you plan on going

STF
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby nicole » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:07 pm

schiff what has come over you to so easily give up your secret spot?

i think i put you in a headlock once and you still wouldnt tell me.
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby STF » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:39 pm

shit

corbbs

you already know

which means everone knows

all you had to do was give klatt or hartmant a couple beers and a sexy look and they spilled all the beans

Bastards!

and i have given nothing away yet.

ok
ok
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby nicole » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:46 pm

well, if you wouldnt have made such a big deal about keeping it a secret, i wouldnt have made it my life's mission to find it. and hello?? i still havent ridden there.

and there was no exchange of sexy looks. i asked dan, he told me, followed by klatt yelling at him "NOOOOOOOOO!!! STUPID!" oh wait, there was beer involved though.
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby AL » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:47 pm

Shiff - I went up to this spot I know in Wilmette this afternoon and it sucked. There's a "no kite flying" sign there, but I hardly imagine that this time of year, the local cops are perched somewhere off in the distance in their gilly suits... waiting for a kiteboarder to lay out his lines. Thought M Nature was going to be a bit nicer to me today. Oh well - I mooched some free lunch at my sister's house, so it wasn't all for nothing. ... I'll try again another time. Fire me an email if you get the chance: afwahlig@yahoo.com Rest assured that I won't divulge any classified Chicago kite info. Hell, I just moved here a month ago and I don't know a soul except for the Potbelly's sandwich makers down the street... and I didn't see any sand in their flip-flops.
AL
Sand Bagger

Postby STF » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:06 pm

haha

no kite flying sign

i thought i changed that to Say "Kite Flying" bastards much have switched it back

ya SW, W winds do not work there

only N NE And SE

at that location

ill be in touch

and ps the cops are watching

been busted like 3 times

thus the no kite flying sign

but we poach it now

STF

Corbs you rasical
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby AL » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:48 pm

S - Nice. Yeah, didn't even need to step out of my truck... no wind up there today. Thought it might have picked up from the forecast, but no. Hard to tell who is actually from Chicago and who is from somewhere else on this internet message board thing...? Anyway, count me in if you hit any of the spots near Chicago. Like Chris Farley said, "Need a little wind here!" Your bug-humping cartoon is pretty damn funny, by the way. Haven't seen that one before. Take it easy...
AL
Sand Bagger

Return to Open Forum