Can anyone guide me to land practice areas?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Can anyone guide me to land practice areas?

Postby mckinzie » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:24 am

I have just moved to the Chicago area (Riverside) from the San Francisco Bay Area. Before I left, I bought a trainer kite and flew it twice with my buddy. Now that I am in Chicago, I am looking for an area that is secluded enough to fly the trainer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to practice (preferably near Riverside)? I tried the webmaster and bcruz accounts @chicagokitesurfing.com, but they are bouncing back. Does anyone have other contact addresses or is this the best route to take for answers?

Lastely... I know that I need lessons and my girlfriend has already purchased me the first lesson. I just want a little more practice with the trainer before I take the lesson because I want to get as much out of the instructor as I possibly can. Thanks for any and all advice.
mckinzie
Kiter Noob

Postby jarch » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:19 am

You can fly your trainer kite at Montrose beach. You cannot fly anything larger than a trainer kite on land at Montrose. See the "Where to Ride" section on this site for more details on rules for Montrose beach. Once you get comfortable with the trainer kite, some good beaches to practice with the bigger kite (12m...best size to start with for a beginner) are Waukegan and Miller Beach. See the "Where to Ride" section for locations of those beaches. These beaches are large and have plenty of room to fly a kite with few obstacles such as trees and concrete. I would NOT practice with a big kite in an inland area. There will most likely be trees, buldings, and other things that will make the wind gusty. Also, these objects present a danger to you if something goes wrong. Best place to fly is on a big beach with no obstacles.
jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Postby V » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:22 pm

The where to ride section shows a nice area at Busse Woods that is pretty open and you can fly trainers there with room to spare. I used to fly and ride my landboards there (check the kitemountainboarding pages for pics). Its big and open. Not too far just outside of Schaumburg. Or any beach, on onshore winds, but bring a jacket and knit hat. The winds will be colder near the lake for sure.
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum