Questions????

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Questions????

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:42 pm

Hey guys the frist time i had ever seen kiteboarding was in australia last christmas so i looked it up and i could never find an age req. for lessons, riding permit, ect. ect. i u guys can help me out that b great

another question

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:03 pm

hey guys i have another question i am about 5' 10 125lbs what size board and what type of kite would u reccomend im lookin at gear im on a little bit of a tight budget so if you could lemme know that b great thx

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:50 pm

just curious hold old you are and where you live.

the best piece of advice I can give is to not buy gear until you've taken lessons. lots of them.

check out "real kiteboarding" they offer more comprehensive lessons that you could help you out.

Postby V » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:22 am

At this point, any newcomer should wait until late April, early May to get started, the water is very cold. If you're dying to get out, go on a trip and take lessons in the carribean or bahamas, etc. I think the water temp will make you miserable here, and you won't last long. We ride because we can stay outta the water. I think my head got wet three times yesterday, that's all. Huge difference from when I was just starting out swimming more than kiting. As you get better, your season will start earlier and last longer, but as a beginner, wait for warmer water temps and ride with the group so someone can help you if you need it.

At 125, I'd say a good starter board would be 135-145cm.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Trent Hink » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:43 am

V I disagree, much easier to learn in the winter, on snow, with a snowboard.

I think Bob Cook in Madison, WI gives snow lessons.
Trent Hink
Wind Chaser

Postby rhumbaflappy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:01 am

I think I am reading this like V did. The guy doesn't have gear. If he buys gear, and he has a limited budget, he will probably buy water gear, to ride in the water, hence the question about what board to get. So if he does that, learning now will be too cold for a newbie. But yes, if he has a snowboard already, he can learn now with water-kites (inflato) on the snowboard and that will help him prepare for the water in the spring. I think I remember V said he learned on the snow first too. Dude, just get started anywhere, anytime, if you can. Its a great sport. But do it safely!
R/F
rhumbaflappy
Resident Windfreak

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:43 pm

hey guys yea i am gonna buy water gear after i take lessons but can i take lessons at 14 if so where at??

Postby Misfit » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:25 pm

www.realkiteboarding.com
They will be running lessons all winter in cozumel.

If you want lessons in the snow check bob in madison he is awesome.

Later,
Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby V » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:53 am

rcookbob@aol.com or steve@mackite.com

Both give lessons I'm sure on snow if you have a snowboard. But if you're looking for water lessons, you should wait until April/May. Its too cold for a newcomer. Snow lessons will certainly help you now, though.
V
Unstrapped!

thx

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:56 am

hey guys its me again thx for all the info it really helped but can i take water lessons in the spring from chicago kitesurfing?? i dont know any camps/ people to teach me? any suggestions on camps?? i heard of one up in travers Michigan anyone know if thats any good?? anyway if you can help thx

Dan

Postby V » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:15 pm

Dan, the two emails I posted are for Bob Cook of Kiteriders in Madison, WI and Steve Negen of MacKite in Grand Haven, MI, both about 90-120 minutes from the city.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:38 pm

thx so much V ill contact them maybe ill start this winter on snowboards and come down to the lake sometime this summer and watch you guys.
Dan

Return to Open Forum