snow kiting with skis

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

snow kiting with skis

Postby Northerner » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:20 pm

I'm want to start snow kiting but am not a snowboarder and a don't own one. Can't give up a good of skiing for a bad of snowboarding. My question is in regards to body poistion when using skis. Your feet point in the direction of travel whil your kite and control bar are on the side. So is it pretty weird and uncomfortable. I have a seat harness so my bar won't slide to the side that much. Also is there a big difference in terms of fun? Is the snow board that much better?
I want to get a piece of the action that V got this week on Kosh \, I'm going to Winnebago on saturday morning if winds up. 4-6 inches of snow this on Wed. up here. so it should be great.
Andrew
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby jkjaeschke » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:32 pm

I've seen pleanty of people using skis. A lot of people think you can carve harder since you have two edges. I think Bob from madison rides them...?

\m/
jkjaeschke
Resident Windfreak

Postby Misfit » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:03 pm

Yup,
Bob rides em. I've been skiing for a long time so I started kiting with ski's. I have to admit, Kiting with a snowboard is MUCH more fun. With skis you can hold down a lot more kite but for some reason it's just not as much fun to do (imo). As far as it being awkward, didn't bother me at all.
Later
Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:02 am

yea, bob here.

to be honest, i wish i was a better snowboarder. the tricks are the same...stance is the same...boots easier to walk in, but skis do have a few advantages. can hold an edge better and therefore probably boost bigger and can also ride on pure ice if you are a solid skier. speed runs are a lot of fun and you feel in total control.

i use a pair of shorter twin tips that rip on snow and a pair of all mtn race skis for ice. they hold an edge better than the twins.

i'll try snowboarding more this year probably since we're getting really good snow.

you may want to check out winnebago. it should be solid and the winds will be sooooo consistent. look up blaine...he rides out of neenah.

later
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Return to Open Forum