Anyone tried an Impact Vest Harness?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Anyone tried an Impact Vest Harness?

Postby MrNiceFred » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:53 pm

has anyne tried one of those combo impact vest and harnesses?
MrNiceFred
Board Monkey

Location: Deerfield: North of Chicago (south of North Chicago)

Postby Artem » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:11 pm

Alex, I wouldn't recomend a inpact vest because you don't really need it because when you get lofted or picked up in the water even 3 or 4 meters high it won't hurt to fall down. Also I've tried it and it is very hard to put your board on your feet becuase it is stopping you from bending over to put the board on so I don't think it is worth the money. But I do recomend a helmet. :D
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:58 am

fred...here's my take.

the more protection the better for both water and snow. I got pummeled early this year on the water working on kiteloops and if it weren't for a vest, i could have been hurt easily. even normal jumping, you can get worked if you land hard. i used to use a dakine combo, but it was just a bit heavy and i already weigh 195, so went to a jetpilot inpact vest that works with my harness. water does hurt...alot...when things go wrong.

Winter time...pad everything. i bought a winter motocross jacket and pants that has full padding almost everywhere and yet it doesn't look like it. Joe Rocket makes some really good winter riding gear.

beginners should always be well protected. advance riders tend to use less, but it can create a false sense of security.

hope this helps.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby thrmldlite » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:19 pm

I use a Dakine impact vest. The added flotation is great, especially during a wave session because it help keep your head above water when you crash. It also helps keep you warm and offers reasonable wind protection year round.

Todd
thrmldlite
Zen Levitator

Postby V » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:50 pm

I bought a life vest from Costco a couple years back. It was like $25. Its about 3/4 of an inch thick so its fairly thin with a neoprene shell around it. It kept me very warm this season as it adds a bit more wind protection and keeps the head up and out of the water more. It also helps with crashes (extra padding). So an impact vest may be overkill for most people. If you're not doing crazy shiz like unhooked loops or riding rails or hard objects that you can crash into, an inexpensive life vest may be all you need.
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum