BIG BOARD OR BIG KITE?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

BIG BOARD OR BIG KITE?

Postby thrmldlite » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:04 am

Hello All,

I thinking of making one big purchase for next season (water) in order to increase my light wind riding days, those 15-20mph forecasts that turn out to be 12mph days. I've currently got 13M and 17M kites, a 138cm board and I weigh about 175lbs. I’m thinking about buying either a 21M kite or a big-ass board/surf board. Any thoughts on which is the better option???

Todd
thrmldlite
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:23 am

For light wind days it's hard to beat one of Trent Hinks light wind plywood or foam boards. I'm not sure of the exact measurements but I know they're pretty wide to get the volume needs for light wind. I used one a couple times and have always been impressed, been able to nicely ride a 15 when I should have been on my 20 and light wind board ( a truth 160). I'm buying one this spring, he sells them for a fair price as well. My two cents.
Andrew
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Misfit » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:08 am

Big kite v/s board,
Why not buy both? :wink: Seriously, the light wind sessions are all about the board speed. Instant board speed = instant apparent wind, more apparent win = more power. A surfboard or skimboard are both excellent choices for those lightwind days but will require a little time learning how to ride em. I've ridden a Slingshot glide and Trent's light wind board and both of those lightwind twin tips worked really well. One day last summer when I was riding my 20.5 and my 134 twintip i switched up for a 13m and the slingshot glide and was staying upwind about as well as I was with the previous rig. One thing to note about lightwind boards is if you get overpowered you're not going to be able to hold down your kite. Skip, Skip, Skip!!!! Now for the kite. I own a 20.5 machine and like it a lot but I weigh 215#. Personally, I think the big kite thing is more for bigger riders. I don't think a rider that weighs 180 or less needs anything larger than a 17m kite. Just my opinion.
Hope this helps
Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby rush » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:09 am

There is no doubt that in Chicago the two kites I use the most are th 16.5 and the 21. A lot of people will tell you, if your putting a 21 up it is not worth riding. Personally I have had some great sessions on that beast and without it my on water time would go down dramatically.

Rush
rush
Kite Crew in Training

Postby thrmldlite » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:22 pm

Rush i totally agree, if it comes down to standing on the beach or riding a big kite, I would rather be riding. Unfortunately with my current setup i'm standing on the beach thinking about all the time i wasted driving around the lake. I figure i could almost double my riding days by getting light wind gear. With kite technology changing everyday I'm more inclined to buy a big board probably a glide or a jimmy lewis surfboard with straps.
Can you stay up wind on a surfboard as well as a twin tip???

Todd
thrmldlite
Zen Levitator

Postby rush » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:00 pm

So are you thinking about getting a bow kite once the prices drop?
rush
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Misfit » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:02 pm

You can fly upwind better on a surfboard than a twin tip. Why do you want straps?
Cory
http://images.snapfish.com/34584%3B452% ... 5%3Bnu0mrj
This should give you an idea of what kind of wind you'll need with a surfboard kiting.
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby thrmldlite » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:30 pm

I just got back from Key West and had a chance to fly the Switchblade. It was pretty cool, the kite performed great, super fast turning and water relaunched like nothing i've ever seen. However, the bar sucks, i'm riding slingshot gear now and they've got the best bar hands down. why straps? I just want to buy a board with the option for straps...

Todd
thrmldlite
Zen Levitator

Postby Misfit » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:04 pm

OK, understand that. Straps do help in those double overhead bombs. I've heard that the turbo deisel bar will work on any bow style kite. Maybe that would make the switchblade more enjoyable to fly.
Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby Noabacc » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:17 pm

Just get a Skim or Ply-Glide

Surfboards have too much drag.

I don't know if you will ever ride in under 8 knots, if it is rough.
Noabacc

Postby rush » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:17 pm

Hey noah, what size and brand skimboard is that?
rush
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Noabacc » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:29 pm

The skimboard is a Zap

Not sure on the size as the board belongs to ABolt

The kite is the grunty 19M 04
Noabacc

Big Kite vs. Big Board

Postby tog0713 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:52 am

Would buy the big board first. Boards far cheaper than kites. In the Spring we get plenty of wind. At 175 pounds a board 18 wide (46 cm) should get you going most of the time. In the Summer you may want to buy the 21m kite. However, the trend is riding smaller faster kites and bigger boards. The thinking here is having more fun whipping a smaller 16/17m kite around the sky while riding a smaller kite on a bigger faster board and generating the same power as with riding a a bigger slower kite in the parked position.

On boards, in our generally gusty, up and down inland conditions, I think riding a bigger concave board 18"/19" wide (46cm/48cm) and 4'6" (137cm) as your primary board makes a lot of sense. This will give you enough legnth to ride the chop and short enough to dig in against the gusts. Concave becomes important for staying upwind for jumps and offshore beyond the crud in our generally on shore conditions on Lake Michigan. Would also recommend a board with lots of flex which with the concave will smooth out the ride for your knees. The concave creates an air cushion for softer landings coming down from jumps and when skipping off chop.

Regards,
Tim
tog0713
Zen Levitator

Postby V » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:42 am

The concave also sticks on landings. I've noticed a big difference in my landings with concave and without. Once I switched to a concave board, the landings got sticky and it took a while to get used to it to punch the board forward to keep it under me. I prefer the board to not have concave for landings, but like it for everything else. Concave really helps with going upwind for sure and it does smooth out the chop. It makes a noticeable difference in all riding conditions.

Really its rider preference on the decision. Tim makes a good point that a lot of people prefer riding a smaller kite so they can whip it around more. But sometimes, you just need that big ol kite grunt to keep you upwind and it will make the difference between a bad sess and a good sess. Ask yourself how badly you will want to ride on a day when its 12mph winds? If you need the kite, get the kite. Otherwise get the board and save some coin as Tim said. Big kite and small board = jumps and more maneuverability. Smaller kite and big board = less jumping but more carving and surfy-slashing with some $$$ left over. If you don't jump, you might just want to get the board. If you are jumping and want to use those light days to improve your skills, you want the big kite.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Misfit » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:46 am

Buy a big kite and a big board. :wink:
Misfit
Wind Whore

Return to Open Forum