Wetsuit or Drysuit?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Wetsuit or Drysuit?

Postby SmoothDusty » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:46 pm

Hey All,

I was fortunate enough to get a wetsuit for the Festival of Lights and Giving Holiday (formerly known as Christmas) that just passed. Unfortunately my wife wasn't able to find a wetsuit that had the rubberized coating for wind protection...

Anyway, I returned the wetsuit, but can now either get a new wetsuit or buck up and get a drysuit. Just wondering what the smart long-term investment is. What does everyone think?

Thanks for your help,
Dustin
SmoothDusty
Resident Windfreak

yo

Postby icrider2 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:34 am

what's up dustin!

I have a prolimit as per one V's recommendation and I love it. never have been cold it in. I have never tried a dry suit so I don't have a good basis on which to compare...I just know that I like my wetsuit a lot...5/3 and wind proof. I don't mind getting a little bit wet, being as that's the idea behind playing in the water.

scott
icrider2

Postby thrmldlite » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:42 am

Drysuits are for wimps! If fact Wetsuits are for wimps too! In the late 70's, early 80's my father sailed his 6.0 Nacra Catamaran in late November in +20 winds and 35 degree water wearing nothing but a garbage bag with head and arm holes and a tattered yellow rain jacket. Oh wait back then men had thick beards and eat real butter...

Todd
thrmldlite
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:38 pm

i use dry suits a lot more than wet suits each year. i'm a puss, so need to make that clear first.

lol.

it usually seems to go from windy and cold to warm and not so windy quickly, so my dry suit get's much more use each year. then it's wet suit to shorty quickly. a good dry suit will extend you're season a lot longer and get you out in some of the best winds.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Misfit » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:45 pm

drysuit
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby nicole » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:43 pm

if you can only have one or the other, id go with a wetsuit. everyone wears a wetsuit at some point, only the crazies that want to kite with icicles hanging from their eyebrows wear drysuits.
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby jarch » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:25 am

I don't like wetsuits or drysuits, but if I had the cash for only one, I would get a wetsuit. You'll need that from May thru mid October. If you want to extend the season or just be more comfortable a drysuit is great. I have both and personally I love staying warm in the drysuit on the days when the air is around 50 and water about the same. Anything above that and a wetsuit will work fine. Having to piss is a pain in a drysuit.
jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Misfit » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:58 pm

I disagree. Pissing in a drysuit is very easy, it's just dealing with the urine soaked clothes that is a bitch. :wink: Helps for a little extra heat on those cold days :wink:
Misfit
Wind Whore

Return to Open Forum