Kite sizes

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Kite sizes

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:28 pm

I was wondering what the average kite size that you use on most days in the Chicago area. What is the range of wind speed, and what is the average wind speed. I'm trying to figure out what size crossbow I should get for this area.
Thanks for the help.
Rick
Rick

Postby thrmldlite » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:33 pm

16M
thrmldlite
Zen Levitator

Postby Artem » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:54 pm

to be honest my 24 meter F-one mach2 gets the most use so I would say go with a 16m cabrinha crossbow. :D
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby kris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:36 pm

i have the 16 and 12 Crossbow

of all the days I've gone out since I've got them (side note...i've been unemployed the last 3 months and have been out everyday it blows since)

16M 60% of the time
12M 30% of the time

there was only one day that it was cranking so hard that one guy had a hard time with his 6.5 so i sat it out

i do have a 9M bow kite coming someday, but I would have never got it unless it was a good deal and don't anticipate using it much
kris
Boosticus Maximus

Postby kris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:38 pm

oh yeah....to finish the math

10% with one of Bob's 9M kites!

(thanks Bob)
kris
Boosticus Maximus

Postby thrmldlite » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:46 pm

Question: Considering how well bow kites depower can you get away with just one kite - 16M and depower when its really blowing???

Todd
thrmldlite
Zen Levitator

crossbow kite

Postby kitesurfer » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:01 pm

Yeah, I was hoping to buy a 16 m crossbow kite and then use my 13m slingshot if it gets really windy.
kitesurfer
Chop Wrestler

Postby kris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:09 pm

NO!

you could not get away with just one kite (the 16M). Unless you only ever went out in the specified wind range.

I have been over powered on my 16M (i was able to gingerly get back and felt good about it the whole time while i was watching a 13 Yargra getting dragged down wind out of controll at the same time) in a short lived gust. Felt good in that I still felt in control and safe.

i believe you do need to use the right size in the right wind speed.

In the above condition i came in and went back out on the 12 crossbow (mid powered) and finished out a great day! The 16 was 95% depowered in that situation and my arms where way out streched. Any slight bit of pressure I put on the bar turned the kite back on. If i would have dumped the kite I would have killed myself on the relaunch and would have been forced to swim in.
kris
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Misfit » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:30 pm

I've gotta chime in on this one. The one kite quiver idea is kind of like buying an el camino cause' you need a car and a truck. The problem is that it sucks as both. A person can get away with 1 bow style kite for riding but you will be sacrificing performance 80% of the time just so you can deal with the wind. If you want to get the most out of your riding you need a 3 kite quiver to cover all conditions. Light wind, medium wind, and Nuclear. Me, I like kite size to be specific to the wind. 5 kite quiver here (soon to be 6). Hope this helps
Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Location: Sitting in front of my computer nerding out and i've got 6.80% of the total posts to prove it ;)

Return to Open Forum