Step by step building your own kiteboard

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby gbleck » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:38 pm

I have my first foam blank shaped and ready to glass. Did it in three 2/3 inch 1lb EPS sheets glued together with gorilla glue. Bent the rocker line in to match the 1/4inch solid birch stringer. Coating the shaped board with the pink dap spackle. It goes on pink then shifts to white. The really light EPS foam sucks up a lot of epoxy so I figured I could save some mass and expensive epoxy if I sinter the gaps with the spackling compound then lightly sand it down. Picked up a vac pump rated for 15microns of final suction, 7 CFM, and continuos use. Need to get some tubing, a trap, bag, breather and peal ply now. I'm trying to decide what to skin it with now. I could use some really heavy triaxial I have laying around as a base layer. It's to thick a weave to use as an outer coat though. I have some 5Oz Kevlar I could use. Kind of expensive but it could work. Good ding resistance. The light foam will need that to keep it from dinging if I look at it funny. I might use a thin wood or bamboo for the deck. Thinking of using some of that foam they sell as a floor mat in work rooms for a deck pad to keep from heal dinging. Going to build my own mini tuttle boxes out of some scrap akume or purple heart or whatever I have hanging around. I'm also thinking of using some cheap carbon tow I have hanging around and wrapping it around the board in kind of a 0deg, 90 deg, +45deg - 45 deg type deal. Carbon tow is much cheaper then cloth. Fun stuff for every day epoxy repair. The shape is kind of a kite racing skim hybrid. It's 4 foot long and 2 foot 4 inches wide with a wide tail and a snub nose. Tucked rail for most of the length then kind of a rounded rail at the front with a hard edge at the tail. Small nose rocker and just the littlest 1/4inch tail rocker. Double concave bottom around about 1/16th of an inch deep and 4 inches of flat tapering for 4 inches out to the the 4 inches of flat rail and a flat 4 inch center section. I roughed it in with the power planer then used the sureform to blend the sections in. Thinking I'll make it a 4 fin configuration but make up blanks for the fin boxes so I can run it with 2, 4 or no fins. Not really a skim board and not really the right size to be called a directional. It may suck really really hard. It may snap like a fricking twig as soon as I hit a bit of 2 foot chop hard. I'm kind of stoked to find out. :)
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby CJ » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Adrien,

Do you have access to a work bench, jig saw, belt sander, drill and bits, and a dozen or so clamps? Add three layers of 11 mil baltic birch, (not 1/4 ply from Home Depot), Gorilla type glue, T-nuts, wood scraps, spar varnish or inexpensive HD epoxy, spray paint, four fins, straps/pads, and you're done.

PM me if you want additional info; wood boards with rocker and concave are quite easy to make, finding the right shape is the hard part. I'll gladly send pictures of builds, or talk with me when you come to Mad town.

Cj
CJ
Board Slinger

Postby adseguy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:04 pm

CJ,

No workbench or jigsaw ( I have a sawzall though). Everything else I've got. I'm up for that baltic birch. Where can I get some? For shape I'm just thinking large twin tip with a little rocker and no cancave and keep the same edges. I might add some concave a little later to feel the difference as I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that concave wat up the "slippery" feel out of the board and makes it shoot more into a straight line.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Fiberglass Supplies

Postby tog0713 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Henry and Adrien,

Am enjoying your posts on board development. Hope you keep us updated on progress and how they ride on the water. Can relate to enjoying riding something you built with your own hands.

If you need board building materials and advice, suggest you Google Fiberglass Supply in the Gorge. The show a great list of board building supplies and can sometimes give good advice on the phone. One of their reps has a board building business a proprieter of Oceanic Kite and Windsurfing boards. West Marine sells some very high quality glassing materials, but they charge a lot more that what you can buy through Fiberglass Supply.

Good luck,
Tim
tog0713
Zen Levitator

Postby windwarior33 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:16 pm

i built a board out of baltic berch a little hevey but only needed two 1/4 inch peices and sanded down alot of wait the board is indestructable at about 155 with rocker and concave only one friend with a bus board can up wind with me the board isn't as heavy as some of the fiber boards my friend dalius makes but have out lasted even some pro boards i've had
windwarior33
Sand Bagger

Postby snowball » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:57 pm

board is done ....finnaly

the glare was camera flash not board

snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby nG » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:47 pm

snowball wrote:board is done ....finnaly

the glare was camera flash not board

DUDE, AWESOME!!!! Great job! :!: :!: :!:
Last edited by nG on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
G
nG
Master of Kite

Postby mattbesquare » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 pm

looks fantastic, though not a kiteboarder yet I am a woodworker with an interest in learning glass. this makes me want to try boards out....
Ever see a fat man fly?
mattbesquare
Sand Bagger

Postby Misfit » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 pm

I LOVE THE DIY!

That bord will mean more to you than 100 stock boards. I look forward to hear how it rides.

Later

Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby JEF » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Well, how does it ride? Great job!
JEF
Pump Master

Postby snowball » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:37 pm

thanks

It rides pretty sick

I took off the fins/they broke off and filled the hole with epoxy and the board rides 100 times nicer without fins. I love it.

rides fast like a skim but it doesnt sideslip like a skim

now i just gotta perfect my strapless skills hah
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby dckiteboards » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:23 pm

me and some buddies made like 15 boards a couple years back .
sold em for hundred bucks thats where the dckiteboards came from .
we built a mold based off a litewave 125 and then we would take 4 ply lauan! epoxy it together then stick it in the mold and it would add rocker and concave! When it came out a day later id shape it with a sander and then seal with epoxy! I ripped em in the dr for 4 months and sure broke a few but we still got a couple around!

not for sale but to hang on the wall!
Door County Crew
dckiteboards
Resident Windfreak

First Homebuilt Kiteboard

Postby hendrikse » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:32 pm

I am new to to the sport as of this fall and have been out all winter learning the techniques with a snowboard - this has been a great way to learn. Although I feel very comfortable with the kite and the snowboard, I have never tried to kite on the water. In fact, I didn't even have a kiteboard. To overcome this problem and being sensitive to our budget and to my wife who is not overly thrilled about me picking up another hobby, I decided to give a shake at making my own board. I have done some research and tried to build this board to be used in light winds. The specs are as follows:

148 cm x 41 cm
Flat board with 3.5 cm rocker in the last 30 cm of tip / tail
8 mm of concave with 4 mm dropped concave rails
3 - 4mm White Ash (made from logs I cut out of our woods) plies epoxied together
Single layup of 2.3 oz cloth on top and bottom
5 kg finished weight with pads, straps, and fins
2" fins - $30 New
Slingshot pads and straps $30 used on Ebay
Board Cost $10 of Epoxy
Total Price with pads, straps and fins $70.
hendrikse
Kiter Noob

Re: First Homebuilt Kiteboard

Postby nG » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 pm

hendrikse wrote:I am new to to the sport as of this fall and have been out all winter learning the techniques with a snowboard - this has been a great way to learn. Although I feel very comfortable with the kite and the snowboard, I have never tried to kite on the water. In fact, I didn't even have a kiteboard. To overcome this problem and being sensitive to our budget and to my wife who is not overly thrilled about me picking up another hobby, I decided to give a shake at making my own board. I have done some research and tried to build this board to be used in light winds. The specs are as follows:

148 cm x 41 cm
Flat board with 3.5 cm rocker in the last 30 cm of tip / tail
8 mm of concave with 4 mm dropped concave rails
3 - 4mm White Ash (made from logs I cut out of our woods) plies epoxied together
Single layup of 2.3 oz cloth on top and bottom
5 kg finished weight with pads, straps, and fins
2" fins - $30 New
Slingshot pads and straps $30 used on Ebay
Board Cost $10 of Epoxy
Total Price with pads, straps and fins $70.

PICTURES PLEASE! :))))
G
nG
Master of Kite

Re: Step by step building your own kiteboard

Postby Zeph » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 pm

This is an old topic, but I'm thinking of doing this. I build stuff, it's just what I have to do...... To save weight, I wonder if using a hole saw and drilling a number of 1" holes in the not so stressed areas, and then covering with a thin coat of glass might work. It would remove the weight of the wood, and if the glass didn't add more , then a net loss. Also if you used a triple laminate 1/4", maybe swiss cheese the center board to reduce some weight there.
Zeph
Kiter Noob

Previous

Return to Open Forum