Montrose 2011

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Montrose 2011

Postby skysurfr » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:15 pm

We have a meeting in the near future with the head of Beach and Pool.

On the agenda....

What can the Guards do to keep kiteboarding safe....when should they say "No Kiteboarding?"
- when winds are offshore.
- when all swim areas are open.

We need to clarify our rules.
-all websites need to match.
-rules need to be posted in multiple locations at the beach.

Is it time for a reregistration?
-rash guards vs. Streamers.
-we have lots of streamers out there but no idea how many actual active kiteboardrs.
- obtain a signed copy of "understanding of the rules"
- time to be more professional? We aren't a small group of 20.
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby adseguy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:14 am

As we talked about. We need signs.

Just yesterday I was fixing a small LE bladder leak on my kite at the beach and someone came up to me. Had a German accent, but was very nice. He's been kiting everywhere from his hometown, to Egypt, and he just came back from Florida. He had NO IDEA about the streamer system. I asked him if he had IKO or PASA cert. He whiped out the card and showed me a level III. Awesome. Told him he could grab a streamer from Windward boardshop and to come kite later on if it picked up.

This guy like many others is willing to follow the rules. We just need signs to tell people about them. I'll be posting up here maybe tomorrow when I get some time about a sample sign. Mike discussed with the Park district CEOs, etc about putting up a sign. He said they are OK with us making an official sign for them. I say we make two. One by the grass area and one by the dog fence (where we launch). Again, I'll get some sample pictures tomorrow to discuss hat exactly goes on the sign. Also, I'm glad that we are going to talk to the lifeguards, because it would be great to give them some power in all of this and have them clued in. I know most of them real well and they know me by name now (surprisingly a good thing :oops: )
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby jojy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:35 am

Just as a side note Ad, two signs is not enough, although the beach is not that big, there is an access from all over it.
We need to cover both north and south side (dog fence) and at list one in the middle, next to the access path (near the restaurant).
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:55 pm

Here's my first shot at the sign. Made it in Powerpoint so it's easy to edit. I found a lot of places that will print anything on a sign so this will work.

Question to everyone is. What needs to be added....
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:14 am

Our website:

1. Only PASA Level II (or similar IKO) kitesurfers may ride Montrose Beach.
2. You must have a city-issued kite streamer attached to your kite.
3. Safety Equipment must be used including an attached Kite Safety Leash.
4. 100 foot minimum Safety Zone from kite. Remain clear of people, piers etc.
5. Kiteboarding allowed upwind the swimming area only.
6. Teaching is not allowed at any time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Park District Website:

Kiteboarding/Windsurfing Rules and Protocol
1. Only PASA Level II (Intermediate) or IKO Level 3‐L Certified Kiteboarders will be
allowed to kite at Montrose Beach. This prohibits teaching kiteboarding or flying
“traction” kites with students on Montrose Beach. All local Kiteboarders must
obtain a Kite Streamer which identifies them as certified. Visitors will be able to
exchange their certification cards for a day use streamer (subject to CPD
approval).
2. All Kiteboarders will follow generally accepted Kiteboarding Safety Practices
and use attached Kite Safety Leashes. (No grab handles) 100 Foot Safety Zone
from Occupied Beaches, Piers, and other Facilities while riding.
3. Kiteboarding allowed when bathing/swimming areas are closed due to high
wind and wave conditions.
4. Kiteboarding may be allowed by the Captain of the Guards at other times.
(Cool Weather, low beach attendance, etc)
STREAMER SYSTEM
Kiteboarders wishing to use Montrose Beach will obtain a kite streamer from
www.chicagokitesurfing.com or, if available, at the lifeguard house at Montrose.
The streamer will be flown from the kite or pigtail. The Streamer will identify the
Kiteboarder as a Certified Rider who meets the minimum certification standard
for Montrose Beach.
GOLD‐ Friends of the Beach. 5 Gold streamers were issued to Kiteboarders
willing to assist others in the use of Montrose Beach. They will also be available
to assist the Guards and answer their questions or concerns about Kiteboarding.
RED‐ IKO Certified and Insured Kiteboarder. Certified to IKO Level 3‐L or better.
BLUE‐ PASA or IKO Certified as has always been required. PASA Level II or IKO
Level 3‐L.
IMPORTANT NOTE: WINDSURFERS WISHING TO ACCESS THE LAKE MICHIGAN WATER
TRAIL MAY DO SO AT ANY TIME. PLEASE SEE “LAKE MICHIGAN WATER TRAIL (PADDLE
SPORTS)” ON THIS WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION REGARDING INFORMATION
AND SAFETY FOR THE LAKE MICHIGAN WATER TRAIL.
It is important that you follow these general guidelines while kiteboarding/windsurfing:
Kiteboarding and windsurfing require strong swimming abilities, training, and common
sense. Don’t forget that you could be seriously injured or killed after hitting any surface
(including water and sand) while participating on this sport. So before you launch, look
into the distance for potential problems before it’s too late. Never go airborne near
shallow water or near fixed or floating objects because it is dangerous. Once you get
into the air it will be difficult to control exactly where you go, and strong winds can
always force you into a direction that you did not anticipate.
First, to help maximize safety you should always check the weather forecast, color
radar, real‐time wind reports on‐line for storms and excessively gusty winds, wind
direction changes and lightning hazards because all of these can mean big trouble if they
happen while you’re airborne. Do not kiteboard or windsurf when storms are
approaching. Remember that storm fronts are very dangerous because they are often
preceded by strong, variable wind gusts and lightening. If you feel a static shock from
the kite bar, you must land the kite immediately and seek shelter (don’t forget that you
can get electrocuted).
Second, kite surfing must be done in wide‐open areas. Never kite surf in crowded areas,
near rocks, trees, or power lines. In general there should be a minimum of 100 yards of
safe distance from all hazards.
Finally, using the right gear is essential for safe kite surfing. Helmets and impact vests
save lives. You should also wear appropriate exposure clothing for conditions because
you could become disabled and be stuck there for a while. Never remove or disable
factory‐installed safety equipment or releases – it’s there for a reason. Read all
instructions and warnings that accompanies your gear. Using too large a kite for the
wind conditions or your experience level is extremely dangerous, so underpowered
riding is preferable to overpowered riding. When in doubt, go to a smaller kite and see
how it goes. Always stay within the wind range specified by the manufacturer for the
kite. Carry a safety knife attached to the harness for cutting tangled lines. This could
save your life if you become disabled in Lake Michigan.
And remember that most accidents happen when landing or launching, so keep your
eyes open and stay alert!
SEE MORE INFORMATION AT
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby skysurfr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 am

I think they will produce the sign.

We need to come up with the language.

Paul might want to review our language, as it's going to have to go through the PArk District management and then through their legal department to get final approval.

If we switch to a rash guard system, we may want to wait until we have made the change.
DaKine has just reached out to me concerning the Rash Guards. (I think this is a good change)
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby skysurfr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:26 am

Thats a great sign and a perfect way to present it to them!
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby skysurfr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:48 am

Montrose Beach Kiteboarding Rules and Information

* All Kiteboarders must be certified to an intermediate level. (IKO III-L / PASA II)

* Launch / Land Kites from the west end of the beach adjacent to the Dog Beach.

* All Kiteboarders will mantain a 100 foot safety zone from occupied beaches and piers.

* REMAIN CLEAR OF ALL SWIM AREAS!

* Kiteboarders will use safety equipment including an attached safety leash.

* Kiteboarding Instruction not allowed at any time.

* Kiteboarding activities may be suspended by the Lifeguards / CPD at any time.

* Pre-Approval System in effect. Visitors check-in at the Lifeguard office.

For more information please visit:

www.chicagoparkdistrict.com
www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Windward Board Shop - address/phone/website.
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby mikeonakite » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi, I just moved to Chicago from Long Beach, CA. I'm looking to get certified so I can ride @ Montrose. I went through training a few years back at an IKO school (kitesurfari in huntington beach), but they weren't certified at the time. I've been riding 3 to 4 days a week since then until moving here. Shaving the commute to Zion/Waukeegan would definitely help me kite more. Are there any certified instructors going out this weekend or next week if there's wind? If so, can we meet up to check me off? What is the cost to do so? I've also asked around a few people at keegs and IL beach, but haven't been able to meet a cert instructor yet. Many thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction.
Kites: 15M Slingshot Rev / 14M Naish Helix / 11M Slingshot Rev / 9M Slingshot Rev / 7M Slingshot Rev / 5M Best Waroo
mikeonakite
Board Monkey

Postby Jimbo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Mikeonakite:

It seems that many of us are looking for IKO certification. Hard to find around here. Maybe we can get a group together and all get certified?
Hope to see ya around on the water.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Safe_Cracker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Finding a person to certify you is only HALF the battle, the other half is being ready to be! Maybe someone could post up the requirements needed in order to pass your certification test before an instructors time is wasted?

Polo...

It's Getty NOT Jetty! :D
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby adseguy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:41 pm

IKO Level III, I believe, is just being able to show you can self-rescue, self-land, proficient up-wind ability and good control of the kite (ie: boost). If you are still struggling upwind and/or crashing the kite when you try not to you probably are not ready otherwise just know how to rescue and self-land and you'll pass no problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetty
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby ironben » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:16 am

here u go!
Kiteboarder Level 3
Level 3J •Control the riding speed by edging
• Consistent riding in both directions
Level 3K •Consistent riding in all directions including upwind
•Ride amongst other riders and water users and respect right of way rules
Level 3L • Change of direction without stopping
• Self- rescue and full pack-down in the water
Level 3M • Risk assessment and awareness of the riding area
• Self launch
Level 3N • Make a toe side turn
• Knows the theory and the safety rules for jumping.
• Land a basic jump
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby skysurfr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:47 am

Iko k minimum....better yet...L
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby xwindsurf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:08 pm

I used to live on Montrose and Clarendon, 4 blocks from the beach, and loved windsurfing from my front yard (well, almost...)
So I fully realize how precious the access to Montrose beach is, and how thin the red line.
And it is good to have the cert info handy right here.
BUT
...without some info how to obtain the precious card, the whole thing smacks of the good old Catch 22; to those of us who were raised under communists, or other capricious dictators, even darker comparisons come to mind.
Could anyone please post some info what door to knock on? I tried a few people posted as instructors on this Forum, and surprise, surprise... they still work on their IKO/PASA certs!
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby jojy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey xwindsurf ..... Welcome to Montrose HELL :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :!:
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:20 am

Yea, it's a kick in the head. Originally I had to fly to Corpus and take a week long instructor course. Then I came home and certified everyone at the time. I was charging $35-50 per session and trying to recover my money from the course and the yearly $300 (est) fee to keep my instructor card active....and I caught some grief for charging. So I let it expire. Then there was insurance to worry about. Yes when your kite gets loose and hits a bus load of Nun's and Orphans, it's the instructor who gets sued as well!

If Lino is still around he can do it. Roberto does it. I'm not sure about Sharkless. Mac Kite may have an instructor who can help. Amanda was trying to get her Certification, not sure if she did.

Better yet, next time you take a kite trip, get it done. Corpus, SPI, Hatteras, Maui etc etc etc all have IKO schools.

Complain to the schools and instructors. All of them should offer Certification if you are paying for instruction.

I talked with Raam in Thailand for an hour last night. He mentioned doing a clinic in the Phillipeans if anyone is interested.

Sorry it's a big pain in the kiester, but its better than banned.
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Previous

Return to Open Forum