Kiteboard behind a boat?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Kiteboard behind a boat?

Postby beetlehead » Sat May 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Is it possible to use a kiteboard behind a boat? Will this help with technique?
We (my family) are thinking about renting a boat on Memorial Day. I finally got my first kiteboard, LiquidForce 144, and I'm wondering if I could get some board time behind the boat.
Has anyone ever tried this before?
Tim - Lafayette, IN
AWS-Certified Welding Inspector
Welding Educator-Ivy Tech Lafayette
4 & 6M Ozone foil, 9M, 13, 20.5 Slingshot, Liquid Force Mission 144 / GoPro Cameras!
(Granddaughter (Kat) flys 2M Trainer with Best Harness)
beetlehead
Chop Wrestler

Re: Kiteboard behind a boat?

Postby Kevin » Sat May 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Oh absolutely. Wakeboarding purists will tell you it's not the same, but who cares. When I go on the lake on my friends' motorboats I always take my kiteboard and make them pull me. Fun to practice toeside riding, transitions, getting a little air off the wake if possible, etc. Let us know how it goes.
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby seblue » Sun May 29, 2011 5:24 pm

I think wakeboarding is harder because its your arms and not the harness that you are being pulled by,. I did more wakeboarding last summer because it was a definite thing. Where going kiteboarding if the wind is lite you could get skunked. More board experience will always help when you get a chance to get back kteboarding.
07 SlingShot 15M Link,13M Fuel
6.2 M FelxiFoil Blade, MBS Comp 95 Pro
Sean 630-939-5001
seblue
Resident Windfreak

Postby snowball » Sun May 29, 2011 6:37 pm

Yea and its great practice for learning board skills
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Sun May 29, 2011 7:02 pm

agree...anytime on the water helps. kiteboards work much better behind a wake boat compared to wake boards with a kite.

grab a surf board also if you want to practice strapless riding.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sun May 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Now question is, who is using a harness while being pulled behind a boat? Use your harness, use the highest tow mount on the boat as possible , feels quite similar other than the fact you CANNOT control the direction of the vessel pulling you haha.

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby West » Mon May 30, 2011 7:35 am

You can use your kiteboard for wakeboarding, but not your wakeboard for kiteboarding......true to an extent!!!

Here's the low down: most wakeboards have far more rocker than kiteboards; thus, when wakeboarding, a kiteboard will work, but be DAMN careful not to "pearl", or bury the nose, otherwise you will be having a "ham sandwich" for lunch!!! If you want to add "spicy mustard" to that then just try using a harness (not a good idea for a novice) :roll: :roll: . A wakeboard used kiting will be difficult to get planing and to stay upwind.....

My suggestion would be to use a wakeboard to wakeboard and a kiteboard to kiteboard, there's a reason for the names.

If you must use your kiteboard to wakeboard then you want the boat to pull at a slower speed, and concentrate on keeping your weight on your back foot: no fun in faceplanting or eating a "ham sandwich"!!!!!! Also, let go of the rope when going down, accept a wipeout, and get back up. 8) 8)

Good luck developing your board skills, and have fun. Just remember it is KITEboarding, and the most important skill you can work on is learning to control and fly the kite!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby beetlehead » Mon May 30, 2011 8:18 pm

I had a blast with the new kiteboard behind a 19 ft ski boat. Now I know what kind of power it takes to get up and out of the water. It amazes me that this can be done with a kite.
I'm ready for lessons! I'll see you guys on the water soon.
Tim - Lafayette, IN
AWS-Certified Welding Inspector
Welding Educator-Ivy Tech Lafayette
4 & 6M Ozone foil, 9M, 13, 20.5 Slingshot, Liquid Force Mission 144 / GoPro Cameras!
(Granddaughter (Kat) flys 2M Trainer with Best Harness)
beetlehead
Chop Wrestler

Postby seblue » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Great you had a lot of fun with no "ham sandwiches". Behind the boat is a gre4at way to get up switch and work on weaknesses.

That is what I did on Monday and my face hurt from the face plants trying to do a butter slide transition. I got tired of trying to transition that I just started to get up switch foot and try to work from there. Getting back to the toe side edging kicked my ass. Got to get my friend to lend me the wake boarding instructional.

If you want to wake board let me know there is one group that does it on the Fox river and another if he is still doing it on the Illinois river. They usually have the boards to let you use so no risk of ham sandwich only dramatic face plants.
07 SlingShot 15M Link,13M Fuel
6.2 M FelxiFoil Blade, MBS Comp 95 Pro
Sean 630-939-5001
seblue
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:04 am

Behind a boat
Behind a jetski
Behind a sailboat (yes, sailboat, where are the pics from the bimini trip?)
Behind a car (yes, been there done that)

Who cares as long as you're throwin buckets!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Kevin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:05 am

Ahhhh, yes, behind a car. Sweet vid from last year:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... akeboarder

Colbert: "Did you not see that sweet glass, on top of what was once a productive business district?"
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby dewsy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:18 am

Hmm kite board to wakeboard? Towed behind a boat? High mounts on a rope? Doesn't sound safe to me..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:40 am

Or go for the combination Wake kite. YOu will get the best from both worlds!

http://youtu.be/qcxb7OR7CTU

http://www.wakekite.com/
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Return to Open Forum